Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Vista Beta 1 Released

Windows Vista Beta 1 Released

Mauricio Freitas

"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e8325f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...a/default.mspx
>
> Anyone in the group a Beta tester??

Yes - being a MVP I got into the Beta group. But MSDN subscribers can also
download the 2.2GB iso image from today.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <ZQ_Fe.17055$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it just me, or does it look more and more like a Mac every day?
>this one especially -
>http://tinyurl.com/dsa4b
>
>"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:42e8325f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...a/default.mspx
>>
>> Anyone in the group a Beta tester??

Hmm, no dock. That's got to be an improvement...

Nathan Mercer

Its available for download for MSDN subscribers from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/about/ it will also be
available to TechNet+ subscribers too.

Later in the year when we get to beta2 it will be available for
download to anyone that wants to try it out. Beta1 is primarily for
developers and IT professionals

If you are interested in getting on the techbeta (starting with beta1
released this morning) for Windows Vista, "Longhorn" Server and IE7
please send me an email with your MS Passport (www.passport.com) and
you will be nominated for the technical beta progam.

Cheers
Nathan

Mutley

thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Stan the IT Man wrote:
>> "thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>now, now, it make not get called vista anyway, I think an existing company
>>>by that name is taking them to court.
>>>
>>>regards
>>>
>>>thing
>>>

>> Realistically this will be a non-event. The other company's product is
>> probably not called "Microsoft Windows Vista" so it is unlikely that there's
>> a trademark issue. In the unlikely event that a trademark infringement is
>> determined to exist Microsoft will simply buy the rights to the name and the
>> company involved would stand to make several year's revenue in one fell
>> swoop. Don't hold your breath for a name change.
>>

>I think this is why the company is sueing now. At present they can show
>MS's name is new, its purely marketing hype and there is no substantial
>reason to allow them to keep it.
>
>Should be interesting to watch.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

Do you remember Micro$soft suing Lindows because the name sounded
similar. Hope someone does the same to M$..

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42e8325f$(E-Mail Removed)>, PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...a/default.mspx

I can now reveal that one of the new features in Vista is a
revolutionary GUI customization technology called a "faece" (looks like
a deliberate misspelling of "face"?). Each faece gives you unprecedented
control over some aspect desktop behaviour, and the system flexibility
means you can install faeces all over your desktop.

Stan the IT Man

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Stan the IT Man wrote:
>>> "thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Realistically this will be a non-event. The other company's product is
>>> probably not called "Microsoft Windows Vista" so it is unlikely that
>>> there's
>>> a trademark issue. In the unlikely event that a trademark infringement
>>> is
>>> determined to exist Microsoft will simply buy the rights to the name and
>>> the
>>> company involved would stand to make several year's revenue in one fell
>>> swoop. Don't hold your breath for a name change.
>>>

>>I think this is why the company is sueing now. At present they can show
>>MS's name is new, its purely marketing hype and there is no substantial
>>reason to allow them to keep it.
>>
>>Should be interesting to watch.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> Do you remember Micro$soft suing Lindows because the name sounded
> similar. Hope someone does the same to M$..

And in that case the company who owned the original trademark (Microsoft)
lost to the company who had "borrowed" it (Lindows). So the ultimate irony
might be that Microsoft uses their own legal precedent to have this new case
quashed.

My original comments still stand though, Microsoft's new OS is called
Microsoft Windows Vista. There won't be any trademark issues.

Mutlley

"Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:42e8325f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...a/default.mspx
>>
>> Anyone in the group a Beta tester??
>>

>Yes - being a MVP I got into the Beta group. But MSDN subscribers can also
>download the 2.2GB iso image from today.

2.2 Gig!!!!!!!!!!! What allot of bloatware!!!!!!!!!

Nathan Mercer

No its not bloatware. Its not optimised yet, its only beta1, its still
a year away from being finished. Right now about 60% of the size of
the bloatware you allege is taken by non optimised device drivers.

Vista in its final form will not be anywhere near as large as this

Bye
Nathan

PAM.

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> 2.2 Gig!!!!!!!!!!! What allot of bloatware!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. Who needs a GUI. Use the command line ya losers

PAM.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

PseUDO wrote:
> Windows Vista Beta 1 has been released to testers today, screenshots here
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...a/default.mspx

Is it just me, or do the higher res screenshots appear to be scaled
up from a lower res, and a light 1-2 pixel gaussian blur applied?
Why not show the screenshots at their native resolution, and without
any filtering?

2100x1575 is a strange screen resolution...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.