Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Disk wipe software

Disk wipe software

Rob J

Anything good software considered apart from GDisk!

Malcolm

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:56:23 +1200, Rob J wrote:

> Anything good software considered apart from GDisk!

I've always found Ranish Partition Manager to be good;

http://www.ranish.com/part/

Cheers
Malcolm

Invisible

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:56:23 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anything good software considered apart from GDisk!

Ultimate BootCD has some good ones, takes a long time but it does the job.

Allistar

Rob J wrote:

> Anything good software considered apart from GDisk!

You could use a Linux live Cd (like Knoppix) and use the dd command to copy
a whole lot of either random or "0" or "1" data to the disk.

Allistar.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob J wrote:
>
>> Anything good software considered apart from GDisk!

>You could use a Linux live Cd (like Knoppix) and use the dd command to copy
>a whole lot of either random or "0" or "1" data to the disk.

To be effective, you need to do multipass writes with a mixture of
different random patterns
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html>.

Kent Smith

Rob J wrote:
> Anything good software considered apart from GDisk!

I used http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/ before and seemed to do a good job.

-KENT