Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Noise Fan on AGP Card

Noise Fan on AGP Card

Andrew Gerald

The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
fix this problem?

I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
the shaft of the fan:

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...35514-2,00.htm

However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
the example on the site.

Is there another way I can solve this problem?

Allistar

Andrew Gerald wrote:

> The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
> and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
> fix this problem?
>
> I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
> the shaft of the fan:
>
> http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...35514-2,00.htm
>
> However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
> the example on the site.
>
> Is there another way I can solve this problem?

Leave your computer on?

:-p

Allistar.

GraB

On 26 Jul 2005 04:32:35 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
>fix this problem?
>
>I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
>the shaft of the fan:
>
>http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...35514-2,00.htm
>
>However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
>the example on the site.
>
>Is there another way I can solve this problem?

In my experience you have to remove the fan to get at the underside,
removing the stick-on label. People recommend various things like
automatic gearbox oil to lubricate it. Thin household oil will dry
too quickly.

I have used an automotive oil additive, the name of which escapes me,
might have been Power Up, that could hang on an egg whisk when lifted
out of the container, keeping the whisk going. This oil additive
clings to the moving whisk blades. A drop of that sounds just the
job.

Tony

On 26 Jul 2005 04:32:35 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
>fix this problem?
>
>I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
>the shaft of the fan:
>
>http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...35514-2,00.htm
>
>However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
>the example on the site.

They all do, you lift of the end of a sticker that coverers the bearing.

>Is there another way I can solve this problem?

S Roby

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
>fix this problem?

Replace it before it dies

Try
www.overclockers.co.nz

Tony

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:51:04 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
>>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
>>fix this problem?
>>

>Replace it before it dies
>
>Try
>www.overclockers.co.nz

This firm makes a number of Fans for different 3D cards

http://www.tennmax.com/

DSE also has a Generic fan but if you are not a Tech it would be wise to
leave it allown.

Roger_Nickel

GraB wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2005 04:32:35 -0700, "Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>The fan on my graphics card is pretty noisy when the PC first starts,
>>and quietens right down after a minute or so. Does anyone know how to
>>fix this problem?
>>
>>I came across the following site that suggests putting some oil into
>>the shaft of the fan:
>>
>>http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...35514-2,00.htm
>>
>>However the fan on my card doesn't seem to have a lubrication well like
>>the example on the site.
>>
>>Is there another way I can solve this problem?

> In my experience you have to remove the fan to get at the underside,
> removing the stick-on label. People recommend various things like
> automatic gearbox oil to lubricate it. Thin household oil will dry
> too quickly.
>
> I have used an automotive oil additive, the name of which escapes me,
> might have been Power Up, that could hang on an egg whisk when lifted
> out of the container, keeping the whisk going. This oil additive
> clings to the moving whisk blades. A drop of that sounds just the
> job.

I've had good results with "finish line" teflon loaded bicycle oil, it
penetrates, stays where put and doesn't dry out.

Andrew Gerald

Thanks, looks like just what I need.

Andrew Gerald

> Try
> www.overclockers.co.nz

Thanks, looks like it's just what I need.

Andrew Gerald

> Try
> www.overclockers.co.nz

Beofre I ordered a new fan I checked that I could remove the existing
one. I managed to unscrew the protective cover, but the getting the
actual fan out has me stumped. It's held in place by 2 plastic stopper
things (excuse the technical terms) which look like they are one way
only. Am I supposed to be able to pull these out?