Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ever been to a 'traditional' computer auction?

Ever been to a 'traditional' computer auction?

Canon Paora Tikitiki

How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
prices?

XPD

"Canon Paora Tikitiki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1122359906.5cfbc98a1aa55a692405e486c8ee06ca@t eranews...

> How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
> prices?

Went to one about 4 years ago.... was some good deals... altho the
auctioneer fudged up one lot... He sold an Imac for $400 or something, then
discovered it was actually for a bunch of 10 Imacs So some lucky sod had
10 IMacs for $400 odd

H.O.G

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:38:01 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
Tikitiki) spoke these fine words:

>How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
>prices?

Pretty much both. Excellent if you know what you're looking at,
ridiculous for those that don't.

S Roby

Last PC auction I went to 90% of the stuff(boards, ram, chips etc) had fault
tags & the auctioneer said all was good/working condition.

Mercury

Yip. Walked in. Crap.Walked out.

"Canon Paora Tikitiki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1122359906.5cfbc98a1aa55a692405e486c8ee06ca@t eranews...

> How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
> prices?

JohnO

Anything recognisabe to the masses such as a bog standard PC will
generally be way overpriced - often approaching retail on current
models.

It's even worse for ex lease and company liquidation pcs that are a few
years old. They are worth next to nothing but generally fetch
ridiculous prices.

OTOH more unusual or arcane items often go for an absolute steal. I'm
talking storage devices, backup units, high end network devices etc.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Canon Paora Tikitiki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1122359906.5cfbc98a1aa55a692405e486c8ee06ca@t eranews...

> How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
> prices?

I went to one at the Auck showgrounds some 10 years ago. It was a joke,
people were paying 'new' prices for 2nd hand stuff. But, that was just when
the internet was newish and everyone wanted a pc.