Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > digital camera movie clips on dvd?

digital camera movie clips on dvd?

E. Scrooge

"mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Instead of letting powerproducer burn the dvd I took the files that
> powerproducer produced and had nero burn them to dvd and now the dvd works
> fine in my lg player so all around it looks as though powerproducer is a
> pretty crap piece of software. I have far from come up with a satisfactory
> solution at this stage because to do what I have done I had to convert my
> digital camera movie files to dvd files using winavi and then use them to
> author a dvd using powerproducer that won't let me apply color and
> contrast
> changes without crashing and winavi could only convert 99 files at once
> and
> I need well over 100. All and all I maybe able to get the final result I
> want but it is a very messy and time consuming way of doing things, there
> must be a better way. What I don't understand is how I have not been able
> find any help on the web for what I am trying to do, would have thought
> the
> task I am trying to complete was very common, what does everybody else do
> with the movie clips produced on their still digital cameras?

Most wouldn't even bother farting round with little poor quality clips from
a still camera instead of using a decent video camera.
Just look forward to upgrading your gear, and you can start with the
computer considering what you're trying to do on it, and get one with at
least 512 MB RAM.
You're getting results but it is bloody hard work with what you've got, and
must take a while to encode that lot.
Still cameras are great for still pictures. When they make a video camera
that can take quality 5MP still pictures as well, then you'll have have the
best of both worlds all in the one camera.

E. Scrooge

mountain

> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Instead of letting powerproducer burn the dvd I took the files that
> > powerproducer produced and had nero burn them to dvd and now the dvd

works
> > fine in my lg player so all around it looks as though powerproducer is a
> > pretty crap piece of software. I have far from come up with a

satisfactory
> > solution at this stage because to do what I have done I had to convert

my
> > digital camera movie files to dvd files using winavi and then use them

> > author a dvd using powerproducer that won't let me apply color and
> > contrast
> > changes without crashing and winavi could only convert 99 files at once
> > and
> > I need well over 100. All and all I maybe able to get the final result I
> > want but it is a very messy and time consuming way of doing things,

there
> > must be a better way. What I don't understand is how I have not been

able
> > find any help on the web for what I am trying to do, would have thought
> > the
> > task I am trying to complete was very common, what does everybody else

do
> > with the movie clips produced on their still digital cameras?

> Most wouldn't even bother farting round with little poor quality clips

from
> a still camera instead of using a decent video camera.
> Just look forward to upgrading your gear, and you can start with the
> computer considering what you're trying to do on it, and get one with at
> least 512 MB RAM.
> You're getting results but it is bloody hard work with what you've got,

and
> must take a while to encode that lot.
> Still cameras are great for still pictures. When they make a video camera
> that can take quality 5MP still pictures as well, then you'll have have

the
> best of both worlds all in the one camera.
>
> E. Scrooge

I think the record is stuck again scrooge.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > Instead of letting powerproducer burn the dvd I took the files that
>> > powerproducer produced and had nero burn them to dvd and now the dvd

>works
>> > fine in my lg player so all around it looks as though powerproducer is a
>> > pretty crap piece of software. I have far from come up with a

>satisfactory
>> > solution at this stage because to do what I have done I had to convert

>my
>> > digital camera movie files to dvd files using winavi and then use them

>> > author a dvd using powerproducer that won't let me apply color and
>> > contrast
>> > changes without crashing and winavi could only convert 99 files at once
>> > and
>> > I need well over 100. All and all I maybe able to get the final result I
>> > want but it is a very messy and time consuming way of doing things,

>there
>> > must be a better way. What I don't understand is how I have not been

>able
>> > find any help on the web for what I am trying to do, would have thought
>> > the
>> > task I am trying to complete was very common, what does everybody else

>do
>> > with the movie clips produced on their still digital cameras?

>> Most wouldn't even bother farting round with little poor quality clips

>from
>> a still camera instead of using a decent video camera.
>> Just look forward to upgrading your gear, and you can start with the
>> computer considering what you're trying to do on it, and get one with at
>> least 512 MB RAM.
>> You're getting results but it is bloody hard work with what you've got,

>and
>> must take a while to encode that lot.
>> Still cameras are great for still pictures. When they make a video camera
>> that can take quality 5MP still pictures as well, then you'll have have

>the
>> best of both worlds all in the one camera.
>>

>I think the record is stuck again scrooge.

I would agree with Scrooge. You're spending a helluva lot of effort to
achieve such mediocre results that are not fit to show anybody else.

mountain

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >works

is a

> >satisfactory

convert
> >my

them

once

result I

> >there

> >able

thought

else
> >do
> >>
> >> Most wouldn't even bother farting round with little poor quality clips

> >from
> >> a still camera instead of using a decent video camera.
> >> Just look forward to upgrading your gear, and you can start with the
> >> computer considering what you're trying to do on it, and get one with

at
> >> least 512 MB RAM.
> >> You're getting results but it is bloody hard work with what you've got,

> >and
> >> must take a while to encode that lot.
> >> Still cameras are great for still pictures. When they make a video

camera
> >> that can take quality 5MP still pictures as well, then you'll have have

> >the
> >> best of both worlds all in the one camera.
> >>

> >I think the record is stuck again scrooge.

> I would agree with Scrooge. You're spending a helluva lot of effort to
> achieve such mediocre results that are not fit to show anybody else.

Why would you think I was interested in your opinion.

E. Scrooge

"mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

>> >works

> is a
>> >satisfactory

> convert
>> >my

> them

> once

> result I
>> >there
>> >able

> thought

> else
>> >do

>> >from

> at
>> >and

> camera
>> >the
>> >>

>> >I think the record is stuck again scrooge.

>> I would agree with Scrooge. You're spending a helluva lot of effort to
>> achieve such mediocre results that are not fit to show anybody else.

> Why would you think I was interested in your opinion.

You're either quite a funny Troll or you're farting around over damn near
nothing with your 100 little poor quality clips transferred over to a DVD.

The difference with good video gear (doesn't need to be the best and most
expensive) and a good computer would have you falling out of your chair in
amazement. The end results should be damn near as good as TV quality is (as
long your TV reception is real good to bother comparing them).

E. Scrooge

steve

mountain wrote:
> I'm having trouble making a dvd from over 100 movie clips taken from a still
> digital camera that also does 30 second movie clips at 15fps at 640 x 480
> resolution. I am using a canon a70 camera, I have a p3-550 computer running
> win98se and have nero, cyberlink powerproducer gold 2 and winavi. So far I
> have not achieved total success, the problems seem to be that a standalone
> dvdplayer does not like heaps of titles and so far the dvd's I have made
> contain over 100 titles as each movie clip is counted as a new title, also
> powerproducer will not allow me to apply brightness and contrast changes to
> the clips without crashing, this maybe due to my low spec pc. So I would
> really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with
> what software to use and a very basic outline of what I have to do, I can
> figure the rest out if given the basic path to take. I only need to author a
> basic dvd that meets the requirements I outlined above so what is the
> easiest way to do this and what software will I use, as you can appreciate
> there are tons of different software packages out there and I could be at
> this for a very long time if I have to waste time mucking around with
> software that is never going to do the job.

Doesn't Win98SE have a 2GB file-size limit? Your DVD could be 4.5GB all
up.

I used to render movies on it and I had to be careful the INPUT files
being rendered weren't over 2GB combined (as my software made a temp
file as part of the process - so put them all together)....and same went
for the output files, too.

Robert Cooze

mountain wrote:
> [...]

>>option,
>>
>>>as

>>you

>>your

>>>making

> what've

>>make

> the

> not

> are

> used

> probably
>
>>>be

> Open

> your

> video

> some

> little
>
>>30

>>>I did got confused with the title business, the merging did indeed make

>>them
>>
>>>1 title but the way in which the merging is done is quite cumbersome

> when
>
>>>you are dealing with a lot of movie clips and I still have problems with
>>>powerproducer crashing on applying contrast changes to clips and I think
>>>there are still other issues although until I get some advice on what

> else
>
>>>to use I will make do.
>>>I am very happy with the video quality, it is probably a lot better than
>>>what your olympus does by the sounds and the 30 second clips have their
>>>advantages.
>>>I have no need to go to xp at this stage, the 4GB limit is not an issue

>>yet.
>>
>>The merging limit of 5 clips at a time is okay as well, as you can merge

> the
>
>>next 4 clips right into the new larger clip that has just been created

> from
>
>>the previous merger. Merging 12 clips isn't a problem with repeating of

> the
>
>>5 clip limit.
>>At 15 fps that's hardly good quality at all. It's a useless feature
>>compared to the performance of a real video camera. The same can be said

>>a degree of real video cameras that can take low quality digital still
>>pictures as well.
>>
>>You're doing what you can with what you've got which is fair enough, but

> it
>
>>hardly suits your real video filming needs since you like to do so much of
>>it with your still camera. If your PC can handle it Power Director could
>>help you with your video editing. Virtual Dub most likely would but any
>>sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> I merged all the clips into 1 but the dvd will not play on my standalone lg
> dvdplayer, it says check the disc, the disc does play on a cheap woolies
> standalone dvdplayer so I wonder what it is that the lg does not like. The
> lg player is pretty standard where as the woolies dvdplayer is more compatib
> le than most other players. There is 89 chapters on the dvd I made, do you

Just a Thought.

Why not try virtual dub to join the files togeather. at this stage you
could change the resolution and colour (using virtual Dub Filters) and
then your dvd softwar to burn the disk. proberly never gona be an
optimal situation but it works.

wrote:

>"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

>> >works

>is a
>> >satisfactory

>convert
>> >my

>them

>once

>result I
>> >there
>> >able

>thought

>else
>> >do

>> >from

>at
>> >and

>camera
>> >the
>> >>

>> >I think the record is stuck again scrooge.

>> I would agree with Scrooge. You're spending a helluva lot of effort to
>> achieve such mediocre results that are not fit to show anybody else.

>Why would you think I was interested in your opinion.

You posted your message right where I could read it. If you didn't want
me to read it, you shouldn't have posted it publicly.

Next time you have a question, post it privately.

mountain

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> >>sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.
> >>
> >>E. Scrooge
> >>

> > I merged all the clips into 1 but the dvd will not play on my standalone

lg
> > dvdplayer, it says check the disc, the disc does play on a cheap woolies
> > standalone dvdplayer so I wonder what it is that the lg does not like.

The
> > lg player is pretty standard where as the woolies dvdplayer is more

compatib
> > le than most other players. There is 89 chapters on the dvd I made, do

you
> > think this could be the problem.
> >

> Just a Thought.
>
> Why not try virtual dub to join the files togeather. at this stage you
> could change the resolution and colour (using virtual Dub Filters) and
> then your dvd softwar to burn the disk. proberly never gona be an

Thanks, I will give that a go when I next have some time.

mountain

news:42e7693a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mountain wrote:
> > I'm having trouble making a dvd from over 100 movie clips taken from a

still
> > digital camera that also does 30 second movie clips at 15fps at 640 x

480
> > resolution. I am using a canon a70 camera, I have a p3-550 computer

running
> > win98se and have nero, cyberlink powerproducer gold 2 and winavi. So far

> > have not achieved total success, the problems seem to be that a

standalone
> > dvdplayer does not like heaps of titles and so far the dvd's I have made
> > contain over 100 titles as each movie clip is counted as a new title,

also
> > powerproducer will not allow me to apply brightness and contrast changes

> > the clips without crashing, this maybe due to my low spec pc. So I would
> > really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

with
> > what software to use and a very basic outline of what I have to do, I

can
> > figure the rest out if given the basic path to take. I only need to

author a
> > basic dvd that meets the requirements I outlined above so what is the
> > easiest way to do this and what software will I use, as you can

appreciate
> > there are tons of different software packages out there and I could be

at
> > this for a very long time if I have to waste time mucking around with
> > software that is never going to do the job.

> Doesn't Win98SE have a 2GB file-size limit? Your DVD could be 4.5GB all
> up.
>
> I used to render movies on it and I had to be careful the INPUT files
> being rendered weren't over 2GB combined (as my software made a temp
> file as part of the process - so put them all together)....and same went
> for the output files, too.

The limit is 4GB and it has not affected me so far, I think it will only be
a problem if I try to download a large amount of video from a video camera
which would generate an avi file bigger than 4GB but this is not something I
need to do as yet so win98se will keep me going for a while yet. Also my
p3-550 with 512MB ram and 40 GB harddrive has coped fine so far with
everything I have wanted to do despite some peoples skepticism, you really
only need the power of a recent cpu for a very few select tasks, remember
people were doing computer video editing many years before now, I did some
video editing and vcd making back in 2000 when my pc was up with the times,
I was only dealing with short amounts of video though as my harddrive at the
time was 8.4GB.