Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > digital camera movie clips on dvd?

digital camera movie clips on dvd?

mountain

I'm having trouble making a dvd from over 100 movie clips taken from a still
digital camera that also does 30 second movie clips at 15fps at 640 x 480
resolution. I am using a canon a70 camera, I have a p3-550 computer running
win98se and have nero, cyberlink powerproducer gold 2 and winavi. So far I
have not achieved total success, the problems seem to be that a standalone
dvdplayer does not like heaps of titles and so far the dvd's I have made
contain over 100 titles as each movie clip is counted as a new title, also
powerproducer will not allow me to apply brightness and contrast changes to
the clips without crashing, this maybe due to my low spec pc. So I would
really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with
what software to use and a very basic outline of what I have to do, I can
figure the rest out if given the basic path to take. I only need to author a
basic dvd that meets the requirements I outlined above so what is the
easiest way to do this and what software will I use, as you can appreciate
there are tons of different software packages out there and I could be at
this for a very long time if I have to waste time mucking around with
software that is never going to do the job.

E. Scrooge

"mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having trouble making a dvd from over 100 movie clips taken from a
> still
> digital camera that also does 30 second movie clips at 15fps at 640 x 480
> resolution. I am using a canon a70 camera, I have a p3-550 computer
> running
> win98se and have nero, cyberlink powerproducer gold 2 and winavi. So far I
> have not achieved total success, the problems seem to be that a standalone
> dvdplayer does not like heaps of titles and so far the dvd's I have made
> contain over 100 titles as each movie clip is counted as a new title, also
> powerproducer will not allow me to apply brightness and contrast changes
> the clips without crashing, this maybe due to my low spec pc. So I would
> really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with
> what software to use and a very basic outline of what I have to do, I can
> figure the rest out if given the basic path to take. I only need to author
> basic dvd that meets the requirements I outlined above so what is the
> easiest way to do this and what software will I use, as you can appreciate
> there are tons of different software packages out there and I could be at
> this for a very long time if I have to waste time mucking around with
> software that is never going to do the job.

The amount of RAM your PC has might make a difference. A much larger PC
would be a big help.

You should be able to join a lot of your clips using the merge option, as
long as your PC lets you. Make some into SVCDs on CDRs and see how you go.
You can get up to 40 minutes of SVCD on a CDR, might be easier on your
system as well. With the quality level of your Canon movie clips making
them into SVCDs that can play on most players will as good as what've you've
got to begin with.

E. Scrooge

mountain

> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm having trouble making a dvd from over 100 movie clips taken from a
> > still
> > digital camera that also does 30 second movie clips at 15fps at 640 x

480
> > resolution. I am using a canon a70 camera, I have a p3-550 computer
> > running
> > win98se and have nero, cyberlink powerproducer gold 2 and winavi. So far

> > have not achieved total success, the problems seem to be that a

standalone
> > dvdplayer does not like heaps of titles and so far the dvd's I have made
> > contain over 100 titles as each movie clip is counted as a new title,

also
> > powerproducer will not allow me to apply brightness and contrast changes
> > the clips without crashing, this maybe due to my low spec pc. So I would
> > really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

with
> > what software to use and a very basic outline of what I have to do, I

can
> > figure the rest out if given the basic path to take. I only need to

author
> > basic dvd that meets the requirements I outlined above so what is the
> > easiest way to do this and what software will I use, as you can

appreciate
> > there are tons of different software packages out there and I could be

at
> > this for a very long time if I have to waste time mucking around with
> > software that is never going to do the job.

> The amount of RAM your PC has might make a difference. A much larger PC
> would be a big help.
>
> You should be able to join a lot of your clips using the merge option, as
> long as your PC lets you. Make some into SVCDs on CDRs and see how you

go.
> You can get up to 40 minutes of SVCD on a CDR, might be easier on your
> system as well. With the quality level of your Canon movie clips making
> them into SVCDs that can play on most players will as good as what've

you've
> got to begin with.
>
> E. Scrooge

Thanks but I found that the merge option in powerproducer does not make the
separate clips 1 title, they are still read as separate titles by the
dvdplayer. My pc can handle making dvd video files and a cdr would not hold
enough movie clips for my liking.

E. Scrooge

"mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>
>> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm having trouble making a dvd from over 100 movie clips taken from a
>> > still
>> > digital camera that also does 30 second movie clips at 15fps at 640 x

> 480
>> > resolution. I am using a canon a70 camera, I have a p3-550 computer
>> > running
>> > win98se and have nero, cyberlink powerproducer gold 2 and winavi. So
>> > far

>> > have not achieved total success, the problems seem to be that a

> standalone
>> > dvdplayer does not like heaps of titles and so far the dvd's I have
>> > made
>> > contain over 100 titles as each movie clip is counted as a new title,

> also
>> > powerproducer will not allow me to apply brightness and contrast
>> > changes
>> > the clips without crashing, this maybe due to my low spec pc. So I
>> > would
>> > really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

> with
>> > what software to use and a very basic outline of what I have to do, I

> can
>> > figure the rest out if given the basic path to take. I only need to

> author
>> > basic dvd that meets the requirements I outlined above so what is the
>> > easiest way to do this and what software will I use, as you can

> appreciate
>> > there are tons of different software packages out there and I could be

> at
>> > this for a very long time if I have to waste time mucking around with
>> > software that is never going to do the job.

>> The amount of RAM your PC has might make a difference. A much larger PC
>> would be a big help.
>>
>> You should be able to join a lot of your clips using the merge option, as
>> long as your PC lets you. Make some into SVCDs on CDRs and see how you

> go.
>> You can get up to 40 minutes of SVCD on a CDR, might be easier on your
>> system as well. With the quality level of your Canon movie clips making
>> them into SVCDs that can play on most players will as good as what've

> you've
>> got to begin with.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> Thanks but I found that the merge option in powerproducer does not make
> the
> separate clips 1 title, they are still read as separate titles by the
> dvdplayer. My pc can handle making dvd video files and a cdr would not
> hold
> enough movie clips for my liking.

The Powerproducer I use merges the clips into one title. The clips are
chapters under that title but played altogether as one long title.
Your clips from your camera can't be very long for each clip. I've used
movie mode on my Olympus still camera once, it doesn't even compare to a
decent digital video camera.

With your large DVD files since they should be over a GB, you'd probably be
better with Win XP. Capturing the last 2 hours of the British Golf Open
used almost 5GB. XP doesn't have a problem with large files.

If you're that keen on taking so many poor quality video clips with your
still camera, you'd be better to think about getting a reasonable video
camera that really will give you good results. You can then record some
decent size clips as well instead of having to bugger round with little 30
second clips.

E. Scrooge

mountain

> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "mountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > 480

> > standalone

> > also

> > with

> > can

> > author

> > appreciate

be
> > at
> >>
> >> The amount of RAM your PC has might make a difference. A much larger

PC
> >> would be a big help.
> >>
> >> You should be able to join a lot of your clips using the merge option,

as
> >> long as your PC lets you. Make some into SVCDs on CDRs and see how you

> > go.
> >> You can get up to 40 minutes of SVCD on a CDR, might be easier on your
> >> system as well. With the quality level of your Canon movie clips

making
> >> them into SVCDs that can play on most players will as good as what've

> > you've
> >> got to begin with.
> >>
> >> E. Scrooge
> >>

> > Thanks but I found that the merge option in powerproducer does not make
> > the
> > separate clips 1 title, they are still read as separate titles by the
> > dvdplayer. My pc can handle making dvd video files and a cdr would not
> > hold
> > enough movie clips for my liking.

> The Powerproducer I use merges the clips into one title. The clips are
> chapters under that title but played altogether as one long title.
> Your clips from your camera can't be very long for each clip. I've used
> movie mode on my Olympus still camera once, it doesn't even compare to a
> decent digital video camera.
>
> With your large DVD files since they should be over a GB, you'd probably

be
> better with Win XP. Capturing the last 2 hours of the British Golf Open
> used almost 5GB. XP doesn't have a problem with large files.
>
> If you're that keen on taking so many poor quality video clips with your
> still camera, you'd be better to think about getting a reasonable video
> camera that really will give you good results. You can then record some
> decent size clips as well instead of having to bugger round with little 30
> second clips.
>
> E. Scrooge

I did got confused with the title business, the merging did indeed make them
1 title but the way in which the merging is done is quite cumbersome when
you are dealing with a lot of movie clips and I still have problems with
powerproducer crashing on applying contrast changes to clips and I think
there are still other issues although until I get some advice on what else
to use I will make do.
I am very happy with the video quality, it is probably a lot better than
what your olympus does by the sounds and the 30 second clips have their
advantages.
I have no need to go to xp at this stage, the 4GB limit is not an issue yet.

> [...]

> > decent size clips as well instead of having to bugger round with little

30
> > second clips.
> >
> > E. Scrooge
> >

> I did got confused with the title business, the merging did indeed make

them
> 1 title but the way in which the merging is done is quite cumbersome when
> you are dealing with a lot of movie clips and I still have problems with
> powerproducer crashing on applying contrast changes to clips and I think
> there are still other issues although until I get some advice on what else
> to use I will make do.
> I am very happy with the video quality, it is probably a lot better than
> what your olympus does by the sounds and the 30 second clips have their
> advantages.
> I have no need to go to xp at this stage, the 4GB limit is not an issue

The merging limit of 5 clips at a time is okay as well, as you can merge the
next 4 clips right into the new larger clip that has just been created from
the previous merger. Merging 12 clips isn't a problem with repeating of the
5 clip limit.
At 15 fps that's hardly good quality at all. It's a useless feature
compared to the performance of a real video camera. The same can be said to
a degree of real video cameras that can take low quality digital still
pictures as well.

You're doing what you can with what you've got which is fair enough, but it
hardly suits your real video filming needs since you like to do so much of
it with your still camera. If your PC can handle it Power Director could
help you with your video editing. Virtual Dub most likely would but any
sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.

E. Scrooge

mountain

> [...]

from
> the previous merger. Merging 12 clips isn't a problem with repeating of

the
> 5 clip limit.
> At 15 fps that's hardly good quality at all. It's a useless feature
> compared to the performance of a real video camera. The same can be said

> a degree of real video cameras that can take low quality digital still
> pictures as well.
>
> You're doing what you can with what you've got which is fair enough, but

it
> hardly suits your real video filming needs since you like to do so much of
> it with your still camera. If your PC can handle it Power Director could
> help you with your video editing. Virtual Dub most likely would but any
> sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.

I merged all the clips into 1 but the dvd will not play on my standalone lg
dvdplayer, it says check the disc, the disc does play on a cheap woolies
standalone dvdplayer so I wonder what it is that the lg does not like. The
lg player is pretty standard where as the woolies dvdplayer is more compatib
le than most other players. There is 89 chapters on the dvd I made, do you
think this could be the problem.

mountain

> [...]

> it
> > hardly suits your real video filming needs since you like to do so much

of
> > it with your still camera. If your PC can handle it Power Director

could
> > help you with your video editing. Virtual Dub most likely would but any
> > sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.
> >
> > E. Scrooge
> >

> I merged all the clips into 1 but the dvd will not play on my standalone

lg
> dvdplayer, it says check the disc, the disc does play on a cheap woolies
> standalone dvdplayer so I wonder what it is that the lg does not like. The
> lg player is pretty standard where as the woolies dvdplayer is more

compatib
> le than most other players. There is 89 chapters on the dvd I made, do you

It is an authoring problem because the dvd+rw disc that I used has worked
fine on the lg when copying existing dvd's.

mountain

> [...]

> > > help you with your video editing. Virtual Dub most likely would but

any
> > > sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.
> > >
> > > E. Scrooge
> > >

> > I merged all the clips into 1 but the dvd will not play on my standalone

> lg
> > dvdplayer, it says check the disc, the disc does play on a cheap woolies
> > standalone dvdplayer so I wonder what it is that the lg does not like.

The
> > lg player is pretty standard where as the woolies dvdplayer is more

> compatib
> > le than most other players. There is 89 chapters on the dvd I made, do

you
> > think this could be the problem.
> >

> It is an authoring problem because the dvd+rw disc that I used has worked
> fine on the lg when copying existing dvd's.

Instead of letting powerproducer burn the dvd I took the files that
powerproducer produced and had nero burn them to dvd and now the dvd works
fine in my lg player so all around it looks as though powerproducer is a
pretty crap piece of software. I have far from come up with a satisfactory
solution at this stage because to do what I have done I had to convert my
digital camera movie files to dvd files using winavi and then use them to
author a dvd using powerproducer that won't let me apply color and contrast
changes without crashing and winavi could only convert 99 files at once and
I need well over 100. All and all I maybe able to get the final result I
want but it is a very messy and time consuming way of doing things, there
must be a better way. What I don't understand is how I have not been able to
find any help on the web for what I am trying to do, would have thought the
task I am trying to complete was very common, what does everybody else do
with the movie clips produced on their still digital cameras?

> [...]

> it
>> hardly suits your real video filming needs since you like to do so much
>> of
>> it with your still camera. If your PC can handle it Power Director could
>> help you with your video editing. Virtual Dub most likely would but any
>> sound would go out of sync after about 10 to 15 minutes.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> I merged all the clips into 1 but the dvd will not play on my standalone
> lg
> dvdplayer, it says check the disc, the disc does play on a cheap woolies
> standalone dvdplayer so I wonder what it is that the lg does not like. The
> lg player is pretty standard where as the woolies dvdplayer is more
> compatib
> le than most other players. There is 89 chapters on the dvd I made, do you

That's a Hell of a lot of chapters. The cheap player being much like any
computer DVD rom drive probably handles many more formats and isn't as fussy
as your LG player is.

E. Scrooge