Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ATI Remote wonder

ATI Remote wonder

Andrew

Does anyone here use an ATI remote wonder?

Im wondering about the range, Im considering getting one to control the
PC from the bedroom (computers video/sound signal is being sent there)

The PC is in a room adjacent to the bedroom (hallway in between), So in
theory its only about 5 metres apart, but with 2 walls in the way

Typically want to control power dvd or windows media player - and be
able to browse around for the media to play also. Cant think of any
other better options other then the ati remote

Also, Ive read that you can only buy the original ATI remote wonder, and
cant buy the ATI remote wonder II without purchasing a graphics card at
the same time.. is that true?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

JohnO

I have an x10 RF remote which I believe has the same internals. I find
it works about 10 metres with no walls in the way but that it drops
rapidlywhen there are walls in the way, Your situation would be
borderline.

You definately can buy the remote standalone. ascent.co.nz has them for
about 80 bucks IIRC. They are a nice unit.

A better option might be an X10 type remote extenter along with any old
IR remote transmitter/blaster such as a Microsoft MCE remote/blaster.
That would also allow you to remote control your sky decoder etc from
the scratcher.

Andrew

JohnO wrote:
> I have an x10 RF remote which I believe has the same internals. I find
> it works about 10 metres with no walls in the way but that it drops
> rapidlywhen there are walls in the way, Your situation would be
> borderline.
>
> You definately can buy the remote standalone. ascent.co.nz has them for
> about 80 bucks IIRC. They are a nice unit.
>
> A better option might be an X10 type remote extenter along with any old
> IR remote transmitter/blaster such as a Microsoft MCE remote/blaster.
> That would also allow you to remote control your sky decoder etc from
> the scratcher.

Right now im already able to control the sky decoder etc (everything in
the component rack) from the bedroom, but the computer is just a
standalone machine so im thinking i definatly need RF for it

the PC has no IR at all at the moment

Ascent have the remote wonder (x10), but not the remote wonder II (philips)

Craig Shore

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:02:38 +1200, Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone here use an ATI remote wonder?
>
>Im wondering about the range, Im considering getting one to control the
>PC from the bedroom (computers video/sound signal is being sent there)
>
>The PC is in a room adjacent to the bedroom (hallway in between), So in
>theory its only about 5 metres apart, but with 2 walls in the way
>
>Typically want to control power dvd or windows media player - and be
>able to browse around for the media to play also. Cant think of any
>other better options other then the ati remote
>
>Also, Ive read that you can only buy the original ATI remote wonder, and
>cant buy the ATI remote wonder II without purchasing a graphics card at
>the same time.. is that true?
>
>Thanks in advance

I can get through one wall at about 8m, but when I move back another room
(therefore 2 walls) it doesn't work.