Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > p2p KaZaA lite & linux

p2p KaZaA lite & linux

Robert Cooze

As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux
computer, now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old

now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules

on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page
for KaZaA shows up,

Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so
It cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.

After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa
from Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.

Krazy Bob

why not use kazaa lite?
or use e-mule or limewire?

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux computer,
> now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old
>
> now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules
>
> on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
> machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page for
> KaZaA shows up,
>
> Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so It
> cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.
>

> After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa from
> Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.
> --
> http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
>
> / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
> / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
> ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

Shane

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:59:04 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux computer,
> now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old
>
> now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules
>
> on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
> machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page for
> KaZaA shows up,
>
> Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so
> It cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.
>

> After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa from
> Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.

Hi Robert
Kazaa runs on port 1214 by default, so for troubleshooting I would
recommend you use tcpdump
#tcpdump port 1214
this should show you traffic, and which direction it is headed
Presumably you should watch the traffic on the firewall, to see if it is
indeed coming in on the ext_if, and then to double check that that traffic
is then routed to int_if
There are other P2P programs that work natively on Linux, Ubuntu for
example comes with a bittorrent app, Ive looked at a java based client for
the gnutella network etc, etc
Between you and I, I'd drop wine, and stick to running windows apps on
windows, and find suitable apps native to your OS sourceforge and
freshmeat should be more than helpful in that regard

HTH

Brendan

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:59:04 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux
> computer, now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old

Forget kazaa. Truly.

Use emule (which has a native linux port IIRC). It has three times as many
people on it.

--

.... Brendan

#262417 +(4366)- [X]

<_kr4m3r> so many ****ing criminals, its bullshit
<foniks`> heh, if we sent all the criminals to some empty continent and
just left them there to die
<foniks`> and showed up like 50yrs later like, "sup?"
<foniks`> whatd u think they'd say?
<FoSZoR[bg]> something along the lines of, "G`Day mate"

Note: All my comments are copyright 24/07/2005 1:08:28 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Richard

Brendan wrote:

> Forget kazaa. Truly.
>
> Use emule (which has a native linux port IIRC). It has three times as many
> people on it.

Does it use the same network as edonkey?

Brendan

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:34:49 +1200, Richard wrote:

> Brendan wrote:
>
>> Forget kazaa. Truly.
>>
>> Use emule (which has a native linux port IIRC). It has three times as many
>> people on it.

> Does it use the same network as edonkey?

Yes, but the emule client is better.

--

.... Brendan

#5775 +(8483)- [X]

* ab is away - gone, if anyone talks in the next 25 minutes as me it's bm
being an asshole -
<ab> HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

Note: All my comments are copyright 25/07/2005 12:01:13 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Richard

Brendan wrote:

> Yes, but the emule client is better.

Must try it next week, edonkey2000 is getting nowhere on these tv episodes
really slowly.

H.O.G

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:56:42 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
these fine words:

>Brendan wrote:
>
>> Yes, but the emule client is better.

>Must try it next week, edonkey2000 is getting nowhere on these tv episodes
>really slowly.

Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
just go straight to Bittorrent?

Richard

H.O.G wrote:

> Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
> just go straight to Bittorrent?

Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

H.O.G

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
these fine words:

>H.O.G wrote:
>
>> Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
>> just go straight to Bittorrent?

>Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
>I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
>is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

Did you mean Season 2, Episode 1:

http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...1&query=hustle

Or Season 1, Episode 2?

http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...3&query=hustle