Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > p2p KaZaA lite & linux

p2p KaZaA lite & linux

Robert Cooze

Shane wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:59:04 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
>

>>As part of my wine testing I have wanted to put kazaa on a linux computer,
>>now I am using Version 2.0.2 yes very old
>>
>>now I am behind a IPCOP fire wall with all updates and snort rules
>>
>>on the green interface ther are no problems showing up from my current
>>machine to the net using Kazaa But it won't connect but the home page for
>>KaZaA shows up,
>>
>>Now I get a similar resualt using the odd win89 boxen laying arround so
>> It cuuld be the fire wall or the old version of Kazaa.
>>

>>After a google there were two choices pay for Kazaa or pay for Kazaa from
>>Kazaa or anything from K-light to any thing elce.

> Hi Robert
> Kazaa runs on port 1214 by default, so for troubleshooting I would
> recommend you use tcpdump
> #tcpdump port 1214
> this should show you traffic, and which direction it is headed
> Presumably you should watch the traffic on the firewall, to see if it is
> indeed coming in on the ext_if, and then to double check that that traffic
> is then routed to int_if
> There are other P2P programs that work natively on Linux, Ubuntu for
> example comes with a bittorrent app, Ive looked at a java based client for
> the gnutella network etc, etc
> Between you and I, I'd drop wine, and stick to running windows apps on
> windows, and find suitable apps native to your OS sourceforge and
> freshmeat should be more than helpful in that regard
>
> HTH

This year I am going to be dropping windows.There are a few apps that I
have baught that are in my must have (they seem to work fine under wine)
the Kazaa thing is a big test (& the wife likes it), I was thinking of
trying plex myself. no decisions have been made yet on what I am going
to do. I will check what I am getting out from in port 1214.

Robert Cooze

H.O.G wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
> these fine words:
>

>>H.O.G wrote:
>>

>>>Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
>>>just go straight to Bittorrent?

>>Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
>>I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
>>is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

> Did you mean Season 2, Episode 1:
>
> http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...1&query=hustle
>
> Or Season 1, Episode 2?
>
> http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...3&query=hustle

Well wil be looking at the sugestions put here, as for what I want to
get is Old Music arround the early 1940'to late 50's. TV progs take too
long on dialup

woops the Micky$oft patent

Richard

H.O.G wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
> these fine words:
>

>>H.O.G wrote:
>>

>>>Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
>>>just go straight to Bittorrent?

>>Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
>>I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
>>is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

> Did you mean Season 2, Episode 1:
>
> http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...1&query=hustle

Yes, and that one is the one I was trying, has 1 seed, and they arent
connectable by me. Its on tv soon and I have had all the others sitting here
downloaded for some time but for ep 2, would rather not watch 2/3s of it on nz tv.

> Or Season 1, Episode 2?
>
> http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...3&query=hustle

Hmmm, I think I have just found 6 more things for the download queue/

Tony

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:56:42 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brendan wrote:
>
>> Yes, but the emule client is better.

>Must try it next week, edonkey2000 is getting nowhere on these tv episodes
>really slowly.

Yes Emule is way way better.

Brendan

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:12:00 +1200, Richard wrote:

> H.O.G wrote:
>
>> Why even bother with these shitty spyware-ridden P2P apps? Why not
>> just go straight to Bittorrent?

> Find me one with peers on it for episode 2 season one of a dvd rip of hustle and
> I will. There isnt one, yet ed2k shows 20-30 people with it, just the best I get
> is about 500k from each before it stops and im queued again.

Also, emule has NO spyware in it.

'hog' obviously knows little about it.

--

.... Brendan

#5775 +(8483)- [X]

* ab is away - gone, if anyone talks in the next 25 minutes as me it's bm
being an asshole -
<ab> HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

Note: All my comments are copyright 26/07/2005 1:15:59 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.