Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > People throw away spyware-riddled PCs

People throw away spyware-riddled PCs

GraB

thingy

GraB wrote:
> http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarti...?searchid=8384

Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.

Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install" brigade...

regards

Thing

Max Burke

> thingy scribbled:

>> GraB wrote:
>> http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarti...?searchid=8384

> Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.
> Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install" brigade...
> [sic]

So on the basis of ONE anecdotal coment of *POSIBLY ONE* persons actions in
a gamers forum you chose to indulge in some Microsoft [users] bashing.....

Found Images

thingy

Max Burke wrote:
>> thingy scribbled:

>>> GraB wrote:
>>> http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarti...?searchid=8384

>> Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.
>> Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install" brigade...
>> [sic]

> So on the basis of ONE anecdotal coment of *POSIBLY ONE* persons actions
> in a gamers forum you chose to indulge in some Microsoft [users]
> bashing.....

No worse than from a*holes like B Gates claiming Windows is easier to
install than Linux. What it shows in reality is, generally what ever the
OS most users cannot do it.

It is based on an article elsewhere if I remember correctly and it was
not one person but many. I deal with enough end users to know how
inadequate most of them are.

ie good enough to use a PC, not good enough to rebuild or maintain one.

50%+ of my incoming email is spam, a large proportion is off adsl and
cable modems, certainly 100,000's of spam a month.....

We have just spent $24000 on a Dell 6850 with 12 gig of ram as our new
email gateway. If it was not for spam our existing one would still be
adequate. So we have had to throw away in excess of 30k this year alone
(same next year) in dealing with this crap, and this does not include my
time each week dealing with it.

regards

Thing

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42e16de0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> thingy scribbled:

>>> GraB wrote:
>>> http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarti...?searchid=8384

>> Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.
>> Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install" brigade...
>> [sic]

>So on the basis of ONE anecdotal coment of *POS[S]IBLY ONE* person[']s actions in
>a gamers['] forum you chose to indulge in some Microsoft [users] bashing.....

There's a bit more than just one person doing it
<http://news.com.com/Corrupted+PCs+fi...pster/2100-102
9_3-5792379.html>.

Max Burke

> thingy scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

>>> GraB wrote:
>>> http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarti...?searchid=8384

> Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.
> Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install"
> brigade... [sic]

>> So on the basis of ONE anecdotal coment of *POSIBLY ONE* persons
>> actions in a gamers forum you chose to indulge in some Microsoft
>> [users] bashing.....

> No worse than from a*holes like B Gates claiming Windows is easier to
> install than Linux. What it shows in reality is, generally what ever
> the OS most users cannot do it.

Hey if you REALLY want to justify making STUPID comments like these
continually in this newsgroup go right ahead.....

> It is based on an article elsewhere if I remember correctly and it was
> not one person but many. I deal with enough end users to know how
> inadequate most of them are.

From the article:
<quote>
While no figures are available on the ranks of those jettisoning their PCs,
the scourge of unwanted software is widely felt. This month the Pew group
published a study in which 43 percent of the 2,001 adult Internet users
polled said they had been confronted with spyware or adware, collectively
known as malware. Forty-eight percent said they had stopped visiting Web
sites that might deposit unwanted programs on their PCs.
http://news.com.com/Corrupted+PCs+fi...l?tag=nefd.top
<end quote>

It's REALLY EASY to protect your computer/network against spyware/malware.
And you DONT have to have a degree in computer science to do it.....

But hey who am I to deny you your 'opportunity' to show your obsessive
hatred of anything/everything Microsoft and/or those that use that companies
products and services...

Go right ahead and justify why YOU chose to behave this way in this
forum....

> 50%+ of my incoming email is spam, a large proportion is off adsl and
> cable modems, certainly 100,000's of spam a month.....

And that is Microsoft (or it's customers fault) because???????

Remeber there are a LOT of servers out on the 'net forwarding all this crap
to you that DONT run on a Microsoft OS....
Why dont you balme them and the admins? how comew you're so biased?????

> We have just spent $24000 on a Dell 6850 with 12 gig of ram as our new
> email gateway. If it was not for spam our existing one would still be
> adequate. So we have had to throw away in excess of 30k this year
> alone (same next year) in dealing with this crap, and this does not
> include my time each week dealing with it.

See above. (especially the justifications bits)

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>From the article:
><quote>
>While no figures are available on the ranks of those jettisoning their PCs,
>the scourge of unwanted software is widely felt. This month the Pew group
>published a study in which 43 percent of the 2,001 adult Internet users
>polled said they had been confronted with spyware or adware, collectively
>known as malware. Forty-eight percent said they had stopped visiting Web
>sites that might deposit unwanted programs on their PCs.
>http://news.com.com/Corrupted+PCs+fi...100-1029_3-579
>2379.html?tag=nefd.top
><end quote>
>
>It's REALLY EASY to protect your computer/network against spyware/malware.
>And you DONT have to have a degree in computer science to do it.....

If it's that easy, why do 43 percent of ordinary, mature, adult Internet
users of average intellectual capability seem unable to get their heads
around it?

thingy

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>From the article:

>><quote>
>>While no figures are available on the ranks of those jettisoning their PCs,
>>the scourge of unwanted software is widely felt. This month the Pew group
>>published a study in which 43 percent of the 2,001 adult Internet users
>>polled said they had been confronted with spyware or adware, collectively
>>known as malware. Forty-eight percent said they had stopped visiting Web
>>sites that might deposit unwanted programs on their PCs.
>>http://news.com.com/Corrupted+PCs+fi...100-1029_3-579
>>2379.html?tag=nefd.top
>><end quote>
>>
>>It's REALLY EASY to protect your computer/network against spyware/malware.
>>And you DONT have to have a degree in computer science to do it.....

> If it's that easy, why do 43 percent of ordinary, mature, adult Internet
> users of average intellectual capability seem unable to get their heads
> around it?

and thats only the 43% who notice....the rest either dont
understand/notice or dont do anything about it. Or do notice and dont do
anything about it, or cannot.

regards

Thing

thingy

Max Burke wrote:
>> thingy scribbled:

>> Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.
>> Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install"
>> brigade... [sic]

>>> So on the basis of ONE anecdotal coment of *POSIBLY ONE* persons
>>> actions in a gamers forum you chose to indulge in some Microsoft
>>> [users] bashing.....

>> No worse than from a*holes like B Gates claiming Windows is easier to
>> install than Linux. What it shows in reality is, generally what ever
>> the OS most users cannot do it.

> Hey if you REALLY want to justify making STUPID comments like these
> continually in this newsgroup go right ahead.....

So its perfectly OK to have Bill Gates and his minnions lie, cheat and
steal, but when people get upset at this behavior and complain its not OK?

Somewhat 2 faced me thinks.

>> It is based on an article elsewhere if I remember correctly and it was
>> not one person but many. I deal with enough end users to know how
>> inadequate most of them are.

> From the article:
> <quote>
> While no figures are available on the ranks of those jettisoning their
> PCs, the scourge of unwanted software is widely felt. This month the Pew
> group published a study in which 43 percent of the 2,001 adult Internet
> users polled said they had been confronted with spyware or adware,
> collectively known as malware. Forty-eight percent said they had stopped
> visiting Web sites that might deposit unwanted programs on their PCs.
> http://news.com.com/Corrupted+PCs+fi...l?tag=nefd.top
>
> <end quote>
>
> It's REALLY EASY to protect your computer/network against
> spyware/malware. And you DONT have to have a degree in computer science
> to do it.....

Its really easy to make a machine secure? its really easy for a IT
person, its second nature not for end users......

Having to deal with such people who ring up and say such and such a
remote web site is not working so can we fix our system, only to throw a
hissy fit when I tell them our system is working fine its the other end
is just not true. Now if people cannot comprehend the difference between
a browser issue and a remote site web server issue how much hope do you
think they have in patching a box?

> But hey who am I to deny you your 'opportunity' to show your obsessive
> hatred of anything/everything Microsoft and/or those that use that
> companies products and services...

No worse than having MS NZ come in and want to rip out a perfectly good
working Linux & Unix email system with no business justification to do
so except it just happens to be more licence revenue for them plus extra
consultancy fees.

> Go right ahead and justify why YOU chose to behave this way in this
> forum....

Thats fine, ignore my posts.

>> 50%+ of my incoming email is spam, a large proportion is off adsl and
>> cable modems, certainly 100,000's of spam a month.....

> And that is Microsoft (or it's customers fault) because???????

see below.

> Remeber there are a LOT of servers out on the 'net forwarding all this
> crap to you that DONT run on a Microsoft OS....
> Why dont you balme them and the admins? how comew you're so biased?????
>
>> We have just spent $24000 on a Dell 6850 with 12 gig of ram as our new
>> email gateway. If it was not for spam our existing one would still be
>> adequate. So we have had to throw away in excess of 30k this year
>> alone (same next year) in dealing with this crap, and this does not
>> include my time each week dealing with it.

> See above. (especially the justifications bits)

Mostly this crap is adsl and cable modem pools. If BG's and his borg's
account for 94% of home users, thats 94% of the broadband, so thats 94%
minimum of the problem. Given there is no known malware for Linux or Mac
OS in the wild, thats damn close to 100% in reality.

regards

Thing

Rob J

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:12:34 +1200, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Max Burke wrote:
>>> thingy scribbled:

>>> Yeah, while all they need to do is re-install.
>>> Kinda throws a spanner in the "windows is easy to install" brigade...
>>> [sic]

>> So on the basis of ONE anecdotal coment of *POSIBLY ONE* persons actions
>> in a gamers forum you chose to indulge in some Microsoft [users]
>> bashing.....
>>

>No worse than from a*holes like B Gates claiming Windows is easier to
>install than Linux. What it shows in reality is, generally what ever the
>OS most users cannot do it.

What a load of rubbish.