Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Super Speed Broadband Seen Over Cable TV in 2006

Super Speed Broadband Seen Over Cable TV in 2006

Nova

and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
plans or capped 2megabit plans..

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=14522

Broadband Internet access via TV cables can reach 100 Megabits per
second as early as next year, 50 times faster than the average broadband
speeds now offered to cable TV homes, a Finnish firm said on Wednesday.

Similar data transmission speeds are possible over fibre networks, but
these cost much more for the operators to build.

Teleste, whose rivals include big U.S. firms Scientific Atlanta and
Cisco Systems Inc. , said it would early next year bring to the market
its Ethernet to the Home product which will give consumers access to
100Mb/s speed.

The sector is closely followed by big technology firms. Last month
Sweden's Ericsson offered $51 million to buy Norwegian firm AXXESSIT ,
which makes broadband ethernet access equipment for telecom operators.
To accelerate the transmission speed Teleste fits ethernet -- a cheap
and standard transport method for Internet data over broadband networks
-- into cable television networks.

It said it expects first rival technology to be on the market at the
earliest in the second-quarter of 2007.

Teleste is running a field-trial with cable TV service provider Essent
in Netherlands, but not yet at the top speeds it expects most homes will
need in a few years time.

"Based on our research 30 Megabits per second is the absolute minimum in
future homes. Just one TV program would take 10-20 Megabits per second
of this alone. So, very fast we would reach a need for 30 Megabits, and
also for 50 Megabits per second," Pekka Rissanen, a Teleste executive
told a news conference.

Rissanen said the cost of connecting a home with the new
ethernet-to-the-home technology can vary between 50 euros ($60.2 and
200 euros ($241).

CEO Rinnevaara declined to say how much the new technology could boost
Teleste's sales or profits in the next 12 months.

thingy

Nova wrote:
> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

The future isnt as bad as it sounds....

There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken
and badly.

So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.

;]

regards

Thing

Nova

thingy wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>
>> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
>> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

> The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
>
> There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
> the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
> and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken
> and badly.
>
> So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
>
> ;]
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I certainly hope so...

thingy

Nova wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>> Nova wrote:
>>
>>> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
>>> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

>> The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
>>
>> There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
>> the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
>> and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be
>> broken and badly.
>>
>> So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
>>
>> ;]
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> I certainly hope so...

I am starting to look at some stuff that will upset the incubants, it is
almost certainly going to happen, it would take the Government to stop
it and they want it.

So unless we see a change of government and the Nats squash it, it is
going to happen.

http://www.ngi-nz.co.nz/news/pressre...070502469.html

regards

Thing

Bluey

So you think it is an advancement to use a limited system that is not
connected to the PSTN? Sure you can produce a system that has very wide
bandwidth for a very limited number of people but dont expect everyone
to use it. Certain things may be missing - such as the internet.

thingy wrote:
> Nova wrote:
> > and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
> > plans or capped 2megabit plans..

> The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
>
> There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade
> the easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy,
> and subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken
> and badly.
>
> So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
>
> ;]
>
> regards
>
> Thing

thingy

Bluey wrote:
> So you think it is an advancement to use a limited system that is not
> connected to the PSTN? Sure you can produce a system that has very wide
> bandwidth for a very limited number of people but dont expect everyone
> to use it. Certain things may be missing - such as the internet.

8><----

I am talking more in terms of businesses and CBD occupants and that
covers a lot of people/companies. If you live in the boondocks your
choice is a lot more limited, that's your choice.

In terms of National and International bandwidth, these look to be about
to come a lot cheaper, this means ISPs will have lower costs so while
dialup is not getting any faster it could indeed should get cheaper...

regards

Thing

news.xtra.co.nz

thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nova wrote:
>> and the rest of the world advances... while we use our shaped 256kbit
>> plans or capped 2megabit plans..

> The future isnt as bad as it sounds....
>
> There is a huge change coming, and our small size means we can upgrade the
> easiest. What is stopping that is Telecom's and Clear's duopolgy, and
> subsquent price gouging but it looks like that is about to be broken and
> badly.
>
> So my advice would be, sell your Telecom and Clear shares.
>
> ;]
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Yeah yeah - believe when i see.