Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ's third world internet

NZ's third world internet

Allistar

I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
mind.

But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
fixed addresses.

Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
IP on a personal account?

If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
of 5Gb cap)?

Stupid third world system. ****es me off.

Allistar.

Richard

Allistar wrote:
> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
> IP on a personal account?
>
> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
> of 5Gb cap)?

Orcon make you have one, I want dynamic but they cant do it.

Allistar

Richard wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
>> fixed IP on a personal account?
>>
>> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
>> minimum of 5Gb cap)?

> Orcon make you have one, I want dynamic but they cant do it.

Aren't Orcon using that UBS? Isn't the latency of UBS connections less than
favourable (possibly because of dirty tricks by Telecom)?

I've thought about what I need a fixed IP for and figure a couple of shell
scripts should make it appear like I have one (by automatically fiddling
the /etc/host file on my remote computers whenever my IP address changes).

Allistar.

Nova

Allistar wrote:
> I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call from
> them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
> phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
> restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
> mind.
>
> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
> fixed addresses.
>
> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
> IP on a personal account?
>
> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
> of 5Gb cap)?
>
> Stupid third world system. ****es me off.
>
> Allistar.

yeah it's silly, there is no reason why they shouldn't allow static ip's
this was brought up in the draft with telstraclear which was agreed upon
along with a huge range of other things that telstra raised about
telecoms UBS "service". That draft was several months ago now, I am not
sure on the process, maybe someone else can tell us what is happening
with that, I assume it was then telecoms turn to pull the draft apart
and tell the government why it's not possible for them to give nz'ers
decent internet etc and of course the government will lap it up like
they always do.

anyway enough of the rant, orcon will give you a static ip I believe,
though they cannot advertise it I think (part of telecoms rules).

Nova

Allistar wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>

>>Allistar wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
>>>fixed IP on a personal account?
>>>
>>>If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
>>>minimum of 5Gb cap)?

>>Orcon make you have one, I want dynamic but they cant do it.

> Aren't Orcon using that UBS? Isn't the latency of UBS connections less than
> favourable (possibly because of dirty tricks by Telecom)?
>
> I've thought about what I need a fixed IP for and figure a couple of shell
> scripts should make it appear like I have one (by automatically fiddling
> the /etc/host file on my remote computers whenever my IP address changes).
>
> Allistar.

you could just use a dynamic domain for your ip, run dyndns or something
similar, http://www.dyndns.org for details.

Brenda9

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
>from
> them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
> phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
> restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
> mind.
>
> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to allow
> fixed addresses.
>
> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a fixed
> IP on a personal account?
>
> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s, minimum
> of 5Gb cap)?
>
> Stupid third world system. ****es me off.
>
> Allistar.

You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

Allistar

Brenda9 wrote:

> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
>>from
>> them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move my
>> phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
>> restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
>> mind.
>>
>> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for a
>> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
>> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to
>> allow fixed addresses.
>>
>> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
>> fixed IP on a personal account?
>>
>> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
>> minimum of 5Gb cap)?
>>
>> Stupid third world system. ****es me off.
>>
>> Allistar.

> You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

Have you heard the term "figure of speech" before?

Allistar.

Stewart Fleming

Brenda9 wrote:

> You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

You need to get out more.

Brenda9

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brenda9 wrote:
>

>> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a 2Mb/s (10Gb cap) account with Paradise.net. I got a phone call
>>>from
>>> them today saying that to stay with them as my provider I need to move
>>> my
>>> phone rental and tolls to them to. I thought it was a bit of an odd
>>> restriction but I've never liked feeding Telecom's monopoly so I don't
>>> mind.
>>>
>>> But get this: There is no way I have have a fixed IP without paying for
>>> business account. I have a fixed IP now on my non business account and I
>>> rely on it. I don't understand what the problem is with contining to
>>> allow fixed addresses.
>>>
>>> Is there any provider (other than xtra) than will allow me to have a
>>> fixed IP on a personal account?
>>>
>>> If not which providers have the cheapest business accounts (2Mb/s,
>>> minimum of 5Gb cap)?
>>>
>>> Stupid third world system. ****es me off.
>>>
>>> Allistar.

>> You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

> Have you heard the term "figure of speech" before?

Yes, and "hyperbole".

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <lqHDe.2228$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brenda9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You think that you could have internet in the "third world" ??

You're looking at it, baby.