Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ghost Console

Ghost Console

SCCC

I want to send a command to install a software package to a workstation
that has the Ghost Client installed. Running Ghost 8.

The software is on a network share that should be available to all users
- I've tried several, including sharing on a XP desktop with the
permissions set to read only, Everyone.

When I send the remote machine the command
\\machinename\sharename\setup.exe it always returns "Access denied".

So far the only way I've been able to install any stuff on machines is
to copy the files to the Temp directory and execute them locally. A
time consuming process if you have a set of application install files
that are over 300 MB and in lots of folders, to replicate that folder
structure on the remote machine would be extremely fiddly unless I zip
the whole lot up and then send it across followed by an unzip command.
But then using up a lot of unnecessary bandwidth.

The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

Dave Taylor

SCCC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dbkti6$ds3$(E-Mail Removed):

> The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

Enable the Guest account on the file host computer.

--
Ciao, Dave

SCCC

Dave Taylor wrote:
> SCCC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dbkti6$ds3$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

> Enable the Guest account on the file host computer.

I'll try that next time, for now I have zipped the installation files
and transmitted them to each machine, unzipped, executed the setup,
copied the shortcut it creates to the desktop, and deleted the setup files.

Maybe the version we have of Ghost is stripped down, but for such a
powerful package, the user interface is incredibly primitive. They could
at least use the client to give you access to a target machine that you
can browse to when entering command parameters, or make it possible to
edit commands, or change the order they appear in, etc.

SCCC

Dave Taylor wrote:
> SCCC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dbkti6$ds3$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>The issue seems to be the "Access denied" message, how do I fix this?

> Enable the Guest account on the file host computer.

I tried sharing the files from a Win98 box and even that did not work.
Surely you don't need a username and password to access a non password
protected share in Win98.

Peter Huebner

In article <dbo13s$3i3$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> I tried sharing the files from a Win98 box and even that did not work.
> Surely you don't need a username and password to access a non password
> protected share in Win98.

i.i.r.c. you need to be 'logged in' on the client machine though. The
test used to be you click on the start button and look if there is an
item at the bottom Log off [username] - if it wasn't there, the shares
[usually] wouldn't work either.
I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
machine fixes it.

-P.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
>machine fixes it.

Standard remedy for Dimdows configuration screwups...

Rob J

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:02:59 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
> Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
>>machine fixes it.

>Standard remedy for Dimdows configuration screwups...

Linux doesn't have screwups, it's always the user's fault

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:02:59 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
>> Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I _think_ uninstalling and re-installing networking on the client
>>>machine fixes it.

>>Standard remedy for Dimdows configuration screwups...

>Linux doesn't have screwups, it's always the user's fault

I've done a lot of Linux troubleshooting over the years, and it's never
even been that.