Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom predatory say net providers

Telecom predatory say net providers

Mark C

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mark C wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthi...a13938,00.html

heh, nice one orcon...
"Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of Orcon,
Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the complaint."

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Mark C

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Mark C wrote:
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthi...349485a13938,0
>> 0.html

> heh, nice one orcon...
> "Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of
> Orcon, Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the
> complaint."

Elsewhere:
http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25703F0009B334
.... they are quoted as saying:
"Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

In article <42dd9c08$0$15230$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthi...a13938,00.html

"Once you get into regulation, you get businesses that are more and
more dependent on regulation for their business case," [Bruce Parkes,
Telecom's government and industry relations manager.] said.

"With the ISPs, they essentially rely on the Commerce Commission and
regulation to create a business for them.

"All I see is Ihug and the other ISPs displaying exactly what you
would expect out of a regulatory regime. It's the same around the
world, it breeds a culture of complaints."

Glad to see Telecom bravely sounding the clarion call for Free
Enterprise...

Kent Smith

Mark C wrote:
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Mark C wrote:
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthi...349485a13938,0
>>> 0.html

>> heh, nice one orcon...
>> "Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of
>> Orcon, Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the
>> complaint."

> Elsewhere:
> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25703F0009B334
> ... they are quoted as saying:
> "Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
> the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
> loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
> such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
> afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

No they could still choose to buy wholesale services from those that have
their own exchanges.

-KENT

~misfit~

Mark C wrote:
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Mark C wrote:
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthi...349485a13938,0
>>> 0.html

>> heh, nice one orcon...
>> "Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of
>> Orcon, Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the
>> complaint."

> Elsewhere:
> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25703F0009B334
> ... they are quoted as saying:
> "Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
> the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
> loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
> such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
> afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

Yeah, that's understandable. After all, Seeby's gotta keep up the payments
on his Ferrari, his first priority is definitely not the customer.
--
~misfit~

Richard

~misfit~ wrote:

>>Elsewhere:
>>http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news....25703F0009B334
>>... they are quoted as saying:
>>"Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
>>the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
>>loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
>>such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
>>afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

> Yeah, that's understandable. After all, Seeby's gotta keep up the payments
> on his Ferrari, his first priority is definitely not the customer.

Unbundlling will not benifit people on exchanges that are not viable for other
ISPs to install there kit into.

NZ needs to replace the kiwishare with a universal service tax on
telecommunications that an independant body decides what telco will provide
service to areas if there is to be unbundling, otherwise telecom get to make
figures up for there kiwishare obligations and other providers are required to
pay. If there is unbundling then those customers will not have a choice as no
other provider can charge the others for the privilage of having those customers.

colinco

In article ~misfit~ says...
> Yeah, that's understandable. After all, Seeby's gotta keep up the payments
> on his Ferrari, his first priority is definitely not the customer.

ALL the isps want their own Ferraris. A lot of them expect Telecom to
chip in with the down payment.