Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Schools give OSS a big tick

NZ Schools give OSS a big tick

Mike Dee

<QUOTE>
Schools ink deal for open source
By REUBEN SCHWARZ

The Education Ministry has signed an 18-month software licensing deal
with Novell New Zealand, the ministry's first deal to provide open
source software to schools.

It includes Novell's SUSE distribution of the Linux desktop operating
system.

The Novell deals lets schools buy software for the same cost as
Microsoft products, about $99 per product per server for a year-long
licence.

The ministry's senior ICT consultant, Douglas Harre, says it is meant
to equalise prices of Microsoft and Novell products.

"What we want to do is level the playing field," he says. "Novell's
numbers have been trending downward in the face of Microsoft software,
and in schools that has been exacerbated by the fact that there's been
a Microsoft deal for schools but not a Novell deal.

"If schools want to have a Linux desktop now they can have one from a
major international corporation with the support that brings rather
than a free copy of (Linux distribution) Mandrake."

The SUSE Linux operating system is packaged with open source Internet
browser Firefox and Microsoft Office rival OpenOffice.

The deal covers both open source and proprietary products from Novell.
Proprietary products include Novell's Open Enterprise Server, asset
management tool ZENworks, email and calendar program Groupwise and
network security software BorderManager.

The ministry won't comment on the cost of the contract. Its three-year
licensing contract with Microsoft, Apple and Computer Associates signed
last year was worth $27.5 million.
</QUOTE>

Remainder of article:
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3348057a28,00.html>

--
dee

Dave Taylor

Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns9698CB12AC57Femteedee@
130.225.247.90:

> The deal covers both open source and proprietary products from Novell.
> Proprietary products include Novell's Open Enterprise Server, asset
> management tool ZENworks, email and calendar program Groupwise and
> network security software BorderManager.

YAY.

--
Ciao, Dave

Rob J

On 19 Jul 2005 09:58:18 GMT, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><QUOTE>
>Schools ink deal for open source
>By REUBEN SCHWARZ
>
>The Education Ministry has signed an 18-month software licensing deal
>with Novell New Zealand, the ministry's first deal to provide open
>source software to schools.

But as you can see it is not a OSS deal - it is a Novell deal that
includes both OSS and proprietary software.

thingy

Rob J wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2005 09:58:18 GMT, Mike Dee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><QUOTE>
>>Schools ink deal for open source
>>By REUBEN SCHWARZ
>>
>>The Education Ministry has signed an 18-month software licensing deal
>>with Novell New Zealand, the ministry's first deal to provide open
>>source software to schools.

> But as you can see it is not a OSS deal - it is a Novell deal that
> includes both OSS and proprietary software.

Lots of expensive extras in Suse, not sure if the $99 is for the lot or
just the base OS.

regards

Thing