Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Want to dual boot XP & Linux - Getting new PC - Will it work with Linux?

Want to dual boot XP & Linux - Getting new PC - Will it work with Linux?

Alan

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a new PC - a Dell Dimension 4700:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...3Den%26s%3Ddhs

It will have WinXP Home installed which my wife requires, but I also
want to try Linux (probably thinking Mandriva based on the tool that
PAM posted to 'Choose Your Linux').

Is there any reason why that won't work for me?

I would quite like an easy painless intro to Linux!

Thanks for any comments,

Alan.

thing2

Alan wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am looking at getting a new PC - a Dell Dimension 4700:
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...3Den%26s%3Ddhs
>
> It will have WinXP Home installed which my wife requires, but I also
> want to try Linux (probably thinking Mandriva based on the tool that
> PAM posted to 'Choose Your Linux').
>
> Is there any reason why that won't work for me?
>
> I would quite like an easy painless intro to Linux!
>
> Thanks for any comments,
>
> Alan.

You have an old spare PC?

What is the spec of it?

If it is halfway decent you could run a thin desktop client on XP, to it.

If you want painless look at cdrom based linux distros. They will be a
bit slow but OK due to "disk" access but OK to have a look at. This will
not change your new pc in anyway.

Otherwise check with Dell I would suggest, though Dell is a joke when it
comes to Linux support, I have had a bitter year trying to get them to
support what we bought off them.....

So I would suggest dont buy a Dell if you want Linux.

Also check what you get in the way of OS cds, some OEMs only provide
limited restore capabilites and not full XP cd sets.

DSE do some more "mainstream" PCs ie not bodged cut down hardware like
Dell. These might be better value and run XP & Linux better and you are
more likely to get support.

Other options are a Mac mini, have you looked at a Mac?

We run OSx 10.4 with Office for mac 2004.

regards

thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Alan wrote:
> I am looking at getting a new PC - a Dell Dimension 4700:
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...3Den%26s%3Ddhs
> It will have WinXP Home installed which my wife requires, but I also
> want to try Linux (probably thinking Mandriva based on the tool that
> PAM posted to 'Choose Your Linux').

> Is there any reason why that won't work for me?
> I would quite like an easy painless intro to Linux!

For a dell, I would recommend using Redhat/Fedora Core, simply because
Redhat work with Dell on getting it working on their machines... you may
have trouble getting your modem to work though, it's a bit of a pain as
most manufacturers seem to be going the way of the software
modem(~winmodem) that only officially works with Windows.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

PAM.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> It will have WinXP Home installed which my wife requires, but I also
> want to try Linux (probably thinking Mandriva based on the tool that
> PAM posted to 'Choose Your Linux').
>
> Is there any reason why that won't work for me?
> I would quite like an easy painless intro to Linux!
> Thanks for any comments,

It should work for you. If you have your drives partitioned. Mandriva would
guide you though doing this (at least Mandrake 9.? did).

Painless? Try Linspire of Xandros, however you'll get into the cost of
yearly membership (US$50pa - Linspire) to get any software if you want that
software to install painlessly too.
Linspire will either install on a partition or install on the whole drive.
You have to have the partition already set up. It will wipe anything on the
partition or on the whole drive based on what you selected.

I would suggest you download say 5 different LIVE CD distros and see what
fits your PC best and then go with that version.
Linspire were (not sure if still are) giving away a full working copy of
Linspire 5.0 to Lycoris users as Mandriva bought Lycoris. However, it could
be anyone that downloded this. You'd have to go to their forums
(http://forum.linspire.com/index.php) and find out exactly where this free
version was and get the coupon code.

I use Linpsire so I can tell you a little more about that than the others.

PAM.

ufo

If you're wanting to run two complete OSs on one system and ensure no
conflict of files or want to protect data files of one while running a
different OS. I have a suggestion which might be better than using a "dual
boot" system.

Invest in a couple of (or more) harddrives and removable harddrive trays.
Then configure each harddrive in it's own tray, and simply install the tray
with the OS you want to use at the time. Harddrives and removable trays are
reasonably low cost investment.

By doing this I can run different OSs and system setups for different uses
eg:
Work configuration WinXP.
Games machine Win2K.
Kids configuration
Video editing configuation.
I also have a linux / open source setup - but hardly use it.

But if you want to want to share files between the OS, then simply have one
drive permanently in the machine for the shared files.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8mWCe.1503$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am looking at getting a new PC - a Dell Dimension 4700:
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...3Den%26s%3Ddhs
>
> It will have WinXP Home installed which my wife requires, but I also
> want to try Linux (probably thinking Mandriva based on the tool that
> PAM posted to 'Choose Your Linux').
>
> Is there any reason why that won't work for me?
>
> I would quite like an easy painless intro to Linux!
>
> Thanks for any comments,
>
> Alan.

Alan

"ufo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6yYCe.1556$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you're wanting to run two complete OSs on one system and ensure

no
> conflict of files or want to protect data files of one while running

> different OS. I have a suggestion which might be better than using a
> "dual boot" system.
>
> Invest in a couple of (or more) harddrives and removable harddrive
> trays. Then configure each harddrive in it's own tray, and simply
> install the tray with the OS you want to use at the time. Harddrives
> and removable trays are reasonably low cost investment.
>
> By doing this I can run different OSs and system setups for

different
> uses eg:
> Work configuration WinXP.
> Games machine Win2K.
> Kids configuration
> Video editing configuation.
> I also have a linux / open source setup - but hardly use it.
>
> But if you want to want to share files between the OS, then simply
> have one drive permanently in the machine for the shared files.

Hi ufo,

I had assumed a fairly simple setup along the lines of the following:

Single NTFS partition for XP
Two (EXT2?) partitions for Linux (main and swap)
Single FAT32 partition for Data

I have no particular security needs, but if I do need to I could
resize the Data partition, add another partition in there (whatever
filesystem is appropriate) and if necessary hide that partition using
a boot manager (I have always liked SBM that runs off a diskette).

It is possible that I would also run Win98SE on the machine at some
point - the kids have some games that may not run well under WinXP.

Does that sound okay?

Thanks,

Alan.

ufo

Thats no problem, thats fine - will work, but by using removable drives,
you're not having to worry about partitioning. I have partition problems on
a machine before and that point all OSs out of operation until I managed to
restore partition info (thanks you partition magic rescue discs).

Security wasn't the reason for me using the removable drive options, but
ensure kids didn't touch "my" stuff and I could run specific setups with
minimal resource allocation ie games machine and video editing where I want
minimal background processes running.

The linux drive is there when I have spare time to learn to reduce my
dependancy on MS

Cheers

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hSYCe.1564$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ufo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6yYCe.1556$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi ufo,
>
> I had assumed a fairly simple setup along the lines of the following:
>
> Single NTFS partition for XP
> Two (EXT2?) partitions for Linux (main and swap)
> Single FAT32 partition for Data
>
> I have no particular security needs, but if I do need to I could
> resize the Data partition, add another partition in there (whatever
> filesystem is appropriate) and if necessary hide that partition using
> a boot manager (I have always liked SBM that runs off a diskette).
>
> It is possible that I would also run Win98SE on the machine at some
> point - the kids have some games that may not run well under WinXP.
>
> Does that sound okay?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

Alan

"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You have an old spare PC?
>
> What is the spec of it?
>
> If it is halfway decent you could run a thin desktop client on XP,
> to it.

I have an old Dell Latitude Notebook that currently runs Win98SE fine.

It is about 500MHz (PII) with 256 Mb RAM and a 6Gb HDD.

I was planning on letting the kids have that to install their games
on.

> If you want painless look at cdrom based linux distros. They will be
> a bit slow but OK due to "disk" access but OK to have a look at.
> This will not change your new pc in anyway.

I have tried the CD-ROM based distros in the past, but I haven't
actually bought the new computer yet, so I cannot test them to see if
they work before I get it.

> Otherwise check with Dell I would suggest, though Dell is a joke
> when it comes to Linux support, I have had a bitter year trying to
> get them to support what we bought off them.....
>
> So I would suggest dont buy a Dell if you want Linux.

I understand from another post here that Red Hat work with Dell to
make sure their software / machines run together well.

Perhaps I should go for RH rather than Mandriva?

> Also check what you get in the way of OS cds, some OEMs only provide
> limited restore capabilites and not full XP cd sets.

I get a retore CD - not a full WinXP Home install CD.

I guess that means that I can only use the restore CD on the machine I
get (it will be a specific driver set etc) but that I could use a full
install CD if I had one (whether or not I can get drivers is another
issue of course).

> DSE do some more "mainstream" PCs ie not bodged cut down hardware
> like Dell. These might be better value and run XP & Linux better and
> you are more likely to get support.
>
> Other options are a Mac mini, have you looked at a Mac?
>
> We run OSx 10.4 with Office for mac 2004.

No. I need to have a PC and Windows for my wife and everything else
is just to experiment with and is very much secondary.

I realise that a Mac can do anything a PC can do, but she isn't going
to want to learn to drive a new system, and I have to be honest, I
want to be able to support her on Windows when I need to.

Thanks for the suggestion though - under different circumstances it
could have been an option!

Thanks,

Alan.

Alan

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> For a dell, I would recommend using Redhat/Fedora Core, simply
> because Redhat work with Dell on getting it working on their
> machines... you may have trouble getting your modem to work though,
> it's a bit of a pain as most manufacturers seem to be going the way
> of the software modem(~winmodem) that only officially works with
> Windows.

Good point - I currently use Whoosh and I am very happy with them so
far.

Would that be an issue with any or all of RedHat / FC / Mandriva since
I use the USB cable connection?

Thanks,

Alan.

Alan

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1MWCe.1510$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It should work for you. If you have your drives partitioned.
> Mandriva would guide you though doing this (at least Mandrake 9.?
> did).

I am quite happy partitioning manually using something like PartEd
(which is a Linux app but actually runs off a boot diskette so it is
not relevant whether you have Linux installed or not).

> Painless? Try Linspire of Xandros, however you'll get into the cost
> of yearly membership (US$50pa - Linspire) to get any software if you
> want that software to install painlessly too.
> Linspire will either install on a partition or install on the whole
> drive. You have to have the partition already set up. It will wipe
> anything on the partition or on the whole drive based on what you
> selected.

I'm cheap I have to say!

I'd rather do this with no cash costs at all.

> I would suggest you download say 5 different LIVE CD distros and see
> what fits your PC best and then go with that version.
> Linspire were (not sure if still are) giving away a full working
> copy of Linspire 5.0 to Lycoris users as Mandriva bought Lycoris.
> However, it could be anyone that downloded this. You'd have to go to
> their forums (http://forum.linspire.com/index.php) and find out
> exactly where this free version was and get the coupon code.
>
> I use Linpsire so I can tell you a little more about that than the
> others.
>
> PAM.

Thanks PAM.

I am edging towards getting Mandriva and Fedora Core at the moment.

I also found this online discussion that mentioned success with a
Dimension 4700 and FC4:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor....id=6306#M6306

That sounds like a good sign!

Alan.