Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TelstraClear Com21 modem swap out

TelstraClear Com21 modem swap out

kornkob

TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had for
the last five years.

Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.

Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?

Cheers.

shannon

kornkob wrote:

> TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
> model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
> to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
> for the last five years.
>
> Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
> this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
> extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
> servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
> changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
>
> Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
>
> Cheers.

Yes, I still have a static address with the Motorola cable modem

thing2

shannon wrote:
> kornkob wrote:
>

>>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
>>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
>>to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
>>for the last five years.
>>
>>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
>>this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
>>extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
>>servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
>>changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
>>
>>Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
>>
>>Cheers.

> Yes, I still have a static address with the Motorola cable modem

Is it the same static IP?

regards

Thing

Tony

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:25:32 +1200, "kornkob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
>to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had for
>the last five years.
>
>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
>this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
>extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
>servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
>changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
>
>Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
>
>Cheers.

Yes the New Modems are far better and have a off line standby button, they
train in no time and remember there trained info.

Yes the Fix IP will change as its a new system with these modems, but its
still Fixed..

Ewen McNeill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, kornkob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. [...]
>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
>this cable modem swap?

As I understand it from friends who have had this done, you do end
up with a static IP address after the change, but unfortuantely it's a
_different_ static IP address to the one you had before. Apparently this
is necessary because the Com21 cable network and the Motorola cable
network are separate, with separate ranges of addresses on them.

Other than the change of address issue everyone I know who has had the
change done has been happy with the results. (They all had it done
because their Com21 service was getting pretty unreliable; apparently
a known problem due to the age of the Com21 modems and other equipment.
So far -- crosses fingers, touches wood -- my Com21 modem seems to mostly
be surviving; I'm not looking forward to a change in IP address.)

Ewen

Tony

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:33:04 +1200, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>shannon wrote:
>> kornkob wrote:
>>

>>>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
>>>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
>>>to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
>>>for the last five years.
>>>
>>>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
>>>this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
>>>extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
>>>servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
>>>changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
>>>
>>>Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
>>>
>>>Cheers.

>> Yes, I still have a static address with the Motorola cable modem

>Is it the same static IP?
>
>regards
>
>Thing

no

Jerry

kornkob wrote:
> TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
> model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
> to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had for
> the last five years.
>
> Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
> this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
> extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
> servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
> changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
>
> Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
>
> Cheers.

Along with everyone else that has responded, I can confirm from
experience that you will have a static, but *different* ip address.

kornkob

"kornkob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
> model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. Anyway, I was disappointed
> to hear this would mean a change to the static IP address which I've had
> for the last five years.
>
> Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
> this cable modem swap? The Paradise tech claimed I would, but I want to
> extra sure before it's too late. I'm running my own websites and email
> servers, and having a dynamic IP address would be a nightmare. Hell, even
> changing IP addresses is going to be a big hassle.
>
> Can anyone that has had to go through this recently confirm?
>
> Cheers.

Thanks to all those that responded.

thing2

Ewen McNeill wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, kornkob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>TelstraClear is about to swap my old Com21 cable modem out for a different
>>model; I assume the new one with be a Motorola. [...]
>>Can someone confirm that I'll still end up with a static IP address after
>>this cable modem swap?

> As I understand it from friends who have had this done, you do end
> up with a static IP address after the change, but unfortuantely it's a
> _different_ static IP address to the one you had before. Apparently this
> is necessary because the Com21 cable network and the Motorola cable
> network are separate, with separate ranges of addresses on them.
>
> Other than the change of address issue everyone I know who has had the
> change done has been happy with the results. (They all had it done
> because their Com21 service was getting pretty unreliable; apparently
> a known problem due to the age of the Com21 modems and other equipment.
> So far -- crosses fingers, touches wood -- my Com21 modem seems to mostly
> be surviving; I'm not looking forward to a change in IP address.)
>
> Ewen

Mine's 5 years old and still going strong.....guess they will hit me for
a swap out at some stage...

regards

thing