Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Norton AV 2005 - ye gods

Norton AV 2005 - ye gods

Peter Huebner

Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
just in case.

Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
a solution and fix, not to mention ****ing my wife off since she
couldn't send or receive mail any more.
Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
from CD.
Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
entirely. VERY annoying.

Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
after this.

I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...

-Peter

Neil

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
> Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
> sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
> second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
> just in case.
>
> Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
> couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
> insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
> a solution and fix, not to mention ****ing my wife off since she
> couldn't send or receive mail any more.
> Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
> from CD.
> Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
> filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
> crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
> through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
> entirely. VERY annoying.
>
> Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
> principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
> Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
> software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
> after this.
>
> I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
> and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...
>

> -Peter

Yer forget about viruses anything that ****es the wife off is NOT GOOD
(I Know all to well)

Neil

ardz

news:dbg0as$lol$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> > Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
> > Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
> > sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
> > second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
> > just in case.
> >
> > Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
> > couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
> > insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
> > a solution and fix, not to mention ****ing my wife off since she
> > couldn't send or receive mail any more.
> > Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
> > from CD.
> > Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
> > filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
> > crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
> > through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
> > entirely. VERY annoying.
> >
> > Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
> > principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
> > Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
> > software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
> > after this.
> >
> > I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
> > and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...
> >

> > -Peter

> Yer forget about viruses anything that ****es the wife off is NOT GOOD
> (I Know all to well)
>
> Neil

I had NAV2002 installed on my PC and my 12 monthly renewel was due. I
decided what the heck ill go online and upgrade to the 2005 version. Firstly
Norton advises after the download that you have to remove NAV2002 via
add/remove programs before NAV2005 can be loaded...WTF. Using the Add/remove
process and rebooting my PC was the start of my problems. I ended up having
to manually delete the remnants of NAV2002 as it kept saying that i couldnt
load NAV2005 as you havent deleted NAV2002 WTF. After about 4 reboots it
finally allowed me to load NAV2005 and it seems to be working ok. What a
bloody hassle and i might just have to go to another piece of AV software
once my 12 months is up. Id hate to see what deleting NAV2005 would be like.

JohnO

I ditched NAV and installed free AVG - never had a problem with it.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). co.nz...
> Yesterday I got my Norton Systemworks Premier CD out again and installed
> Norton Antivirus - my c drive had had corrupted .dll files all of a
> sudden and then became unbootable, I wasn't too impressed, so I wanted a
> second opinion on the virus/trojan situation (I am usually using AVG)
> just in case.
>
> Oh boy did I live to regret this idea. First, NAV fsked over the Lan - I
> couldn't even access the shares on this machine from the desktop (got
> insufficient memory error 2011) which took me a couple of hours to find
> a solution and fix, not to mention ****ing my wife off since she
> couldn't send or receive mail any more.
> Then it interfered seriously with the process of installing software
> from CD.
> Last, but not least, it fscked up my internet connection (I use a
> filtering proxy to take out macromedia ads, gif banners and that kind of
> crap to prevent myself from getting migraines). With NAV, traffic
> through the proxy was throttled down to about 1% speed. Mostly timed out
> entirely. VERY annoying.
>
> Put on top of the stupid activation process to which I object on
> principle and the fact that the drive crash was possibly caused by
> Norton's file-deletion daemon (it happened after I had installed/updated
> software)I very much doubt I will purchase another Symantec product
> after this.
>
> I've taken NAV off again and the computer reacts much better and faster
> and functionality is restored to anything I've tested since ...
>

> -Peter

What was your wife doing outside of the kitchen anyway?

Geoff M

Norton AV is the biggest POS out there - it slows things down a lot, and
IMO, isn't that good. I use antivir, whcih is free, and picked up a couple
of things Norton missed. I changed because Norton was such a pain to
install, and their (Indian) help desk was a waste of oxygen. All very
annoying when you have paid good money for it.
Geoff

Peter Huebner

In article <LxZCe.1580$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> What was your wife doing outside of the kitchen anyway?

You got that back to front. Ever wondered why nearly all the foremost
chefs in the world are men? *I* do the cooking around here

-P.

(Actually, she's a bloody good cook, too, but nevertheless ...)

news.xtra.co.nz

"Geoff M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u7kwytbzrx2r$.dpq9tg1z9xq5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Norton AV is the biggest POS out there - it slows things down a lot, and
> IMO, isn't that good. I use antivir, whcih is free, and picked up a couple
> of things Norton missed. I changed because Norton was such a pain to
> install, and their (Indian) help desk was a waste of oxygen. All very
> annoying when you have paid good money for it.
> Geoff

i got the malaysian helpdesk i think.

MarkH

Geoff M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:u7kwytbzrx2r$.dpq9tg1z9xq5$(E-Mail Removed):

> Norton AV is the biggest POS out there - it slows things down a lot,
> and IMO, isn't that good. I use antivir, whcih is free, and picked up
> a couple of things Norton missed. I changed because Norton was such a
> pain to install, and their (Indian) help desk was a waste of oxygen.
> All very annoying when you have paid good money for it.
> Geoff

I used to like Norton AV. But I am a technician and see too many PCs
failing due to Norton 2005. I also think very little of the automatic
updating (Live Update) which only updates the AV signature weekly (or is it
weakly).

I am currently using Kaspersky, which updates several times a day.
Kaspersky took care of a Trojan for me last year, 2 months later an up-to-
date Norton AV still wouldn't detect that Trojan.

I used to recommend Norton to customers, now I would rather recommend AVG7.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ever wondered why nearly all the foremost chefs in the world are men?

Nearly all the foremost _anything_ in the world are men.

I read a comment somewhere that the achievement norm for men in most
areas isn't that different from those for women, it's just that men show
greater variation from the norm. That is, not only do you get greater
overachievers among men, you also get greater underachievers--losers,
dropouts, failures, social outcasts, criminals, drug addicts. The "glass
ceiling" has a flipside: the "glass floor".

Thus, there are two ways to get more outstanding female achievers:
either increase the overall norm for females to greater than that for
males, or be prepared to put up with more female losers.