Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How Good is Wine (getting penguins ****ed)

How Good is Wine (getting penguins ****ed)

Robert Cooze

Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in ages

the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
killed several files in windows (easy to fix)

Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident

now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer

So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

Thor

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
the native os.

thingy

Thor wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
>
> > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

> Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
> If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
> date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
> then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
> the native os.

I wouldnt have said it was any good for games.

For office apps usable, but again you can run Open Office so why bother....

If you really need it dual boot the box for something like AutoCad its
not on IMHO, other options are rdesktop to a windows box.

regards

Thing

Bret

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in ages
>
>the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
>killed several files in windows (easy to fix)
>
>Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
>windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
>
>now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
>with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
>and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
>
>So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

I use it for Agent, it works very well.

Bling-Bling

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
> ages

<snip>

> Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
> windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
>
> now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
> with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
> and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
>
> So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
(hint - nouns vs adjectives)

you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."

There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
between "with" and "out".

All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!

Bling Bling

--
"Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

Bret

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:18:42 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
>
>> Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
>> ages

><snip>
>
>> Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
>> windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
>>
>> now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
>> with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
>> and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
>>
>> So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

>You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
>(hint - nouns vs adjectives)
>
>you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
>'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."
>
>There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
>between "with" and "out".
>
>All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!

This is a classic example of why handguns are illegal in NZ

BTW you still have no class bitch.

Murray Symon

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
> ages
>
> the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
> killed several files in windows (easy to fix)
>
> Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
> windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
>
> now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
> with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
> and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
>
> So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

My acid test is Encyclodeia Brittannica 98 (seeing as I own a copy). The
installer gets all the way through now, but the program still does not
work. This is with minimal fiddling. I usually try the trick of installing
IE6 first as I suspect Brittannica depends on parts of it. It pays to try
it out with whatever Windows application you require it for. As an
alternative, a lot of Windows-based apps now have open-sourced
equivalents. (eg. I recently stopped trying to get Red Shift to work with
Wine now that I have found Stellarium for star gazing).

Compiling Wine from source takes about 3-4 hours on my 450Mhz K6/2. At
least the build script does warn you that you should "make a cup of coffee
or hire a video or two" while you wait!

Murray.

Robert Cooze

Thor wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
>
> > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

> Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
> If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
> date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
> then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
> the native os.

A few Lite weigt windows apps that I have used since forever, dont seem
to be any thing in open source that I can find yet.

ps the slow box compiled wine OK but cant install it not enough disk
space

well Ill do some disk arranging and see if I can get it to work one day.

havent had the time to try it on main machine yet installed ect ect.

Robert Cooze

Bling-Bling wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
>

>>Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
>>ages

> <snip>
>
>>Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
>>windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
>>
>>now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
>>with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
>>and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
>>
>>So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

> You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
> (hint - nouns vs adjectives)
>
> you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
> 'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."
>
> There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
> between "with" and "out".
>
> All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!
>

> Bling Bling

Ok

In form 2 I was doing form six Maths

allso in form 2 I was reading any book I wanted to.

In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put me
in reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a
comprehention but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

The sugestion was I was dislexic but my reading and maths broke the
rules for being a dislexic so they put me on to more reiding recovery
grrr

now in the 4th and 5th form I relised I would never survive university
at all even thoug I could understand,

So I did what I had to do Chose a Technical over Universiity well I am
here now well I was born in 1969

just for you I have not edtited ths

or spell checked

apperently I think faster than I can verbilise or write 15 years ago I
was a cronic stutterere (most people dont know it now I taught my self
not to stutter)

quight often I start to write and I have finnished in my head and on to
next subject by the time I have put in the first subject.

I used a slide rule for School cert maths and got a 95% pass English I
got bearly 40% ish

the school system failed me I know why but I wont let it stop me.

oh year can you mutiply and divide by just addition and subtraction as
your only tools? In form 1 I ammmased my Teacher who thught I was dumb
when She saw how I would work out long division I never lurned my times
tables so I used what I knewe whis was addition and subtraction.

Enough of my insane sane ramblings

Robert Cooze

Murray Symon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
>

>>Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
>>ages
>>
>>the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
>>killed several files in windows (easy to fix)
>>
>>Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
>>windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
>>
>>now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
>>with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
>>and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
>>
>>So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

> My acid test is Encyclodeia Brittannica 98 (seeing as I own a copy). The
> installer gets all the way through now, but the program still does not
> work. This is with minimal fiddling. I usually try the trick of installing
> IE6 first as I suspect Brittannica depends on parts of it. It pays to try
> it out with whatever Windows application you require it for. As an
> alternative, a lot of Windows-based apps now have open-sourced
> equivalents. (eg. I recently stopped trying to get Red Shift to work with
> Wine now that I have found Stellarium for star gazing).
>
> Compiling Wine from source takes about 3-4 hours on my 450Mhz K6/2. At
> least the build script does warn you that you should "make a cup of coffee
> or hire a video or two" while you wait!
>
> Murray.

LOL

thats about rite mine was a 500 MHZ K6/2

see top post ran out of disk space

make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs/winebrowser'
cd `dirname winecfg/__install__` && make install
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs/winecfg'
.../../tools/mkinstalldirs -m 755 /usr/local/lib/wine
/usr/bin/ginstall -c winecfg.exe.so /usr/local/lib/wine/winecfg.exe.so
/usr/bin/ginstall: writing `/usr/local/lib/wine/winecfg.exe.so': No
space left on device
make[2]: *** [install_prog.so] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs/winecfg'
make[1]: *** [winecfg/__install__] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs'
make: *** [programs/__install__] Error 2
root@orac:/home/coozerb/wine-20050310#

Ill do some cleaning and see if I can get it to install if not then no
worrys.

just on 2 hours for a athlon 900 that was my other machine I will try
britanica I have the 2000 version.