Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS cuts own throat

MS cuts own throat

Bret

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,...tml?tw=rss.PRV

>Recognizing that one person's search toolbar is another's spyware, a coalition of consumer groups,
>ISPs and software companies announced on Tuesday that it has finally come up with a mutually
> agreeable definition for the internet plague.

>Spyware impairs "users' control over material changes that affect their user experience,
> privacy or system security; use of their system resources, including what programs are
>installed on their computers; or collection, use and distribution of their personal or otherwise
> sensitive information," according to the Anti-Spyware Coalition, which includes Microsoft,
>EarthLink, McAfee and Hewlett-Packard.

I suppose it could be argued that MS requires consent, but so do a lot
of spyware programs

thing@nowehre.comm

Bret wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,...tml?tw=rss.PRV
>

>>Recognizing that one person's search toolbar is another's spyware, a coalition of consumer groups,
>>ISPs and software companies announced on Tuesday that it has finally come up with a mutually
>>agreeable definition for the internet plague.

>>Spyware impairs "users' control over material changes that affect their user experience,
>>privacy or system security; use of their system resources, including what programs are
>>installed on their computers; or collection, use and distribution of their personal or otherwise
>>sensitive information," according to the Anti-Spyware Coalition, which includes Microsoft,
>>EarthLink, McAfee and Hewlett-Packard.

> I suppose it could be argued that MS requires consent, but so do a lot
> of spyware programs

Informed consent.....

Some of this crap is just a "click here to install". I think there was a
comment somewhere recently on how MS's "partners" software would be
excluded from MS's software scan......This was also brought up before
over the MS built in firewall.

For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad as
anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty intrusive
and annoying....

regards

Thing

Peter Huebner

> For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad as
> anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty intrusive
> and annoying....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want installed on
my computer without being asked, and autostart every time it boots, et
cetera et cetera that I dumped it years ago. Is anyone still using that
piece of mischief_ware?!?

-P.

thingy

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad as
>>anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty intrusive
>>and annoying....
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want installed on
> my computer without being asked, and autostart every time it boots, et
> cetera et cetera that I dumped it years ago. Is anyone still using that
> piece of mischief_ware?!?
>
> -P.

I occasionally come across people who bought it and regreted it. Now
they get repeated spams over new and improved versions constantly....I
removed it many moons ago.

regards

Thing

Max Burke

> thingy scribbled:

>> Peter Huebner wrote:

>>> For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad
>>> as anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty
>>> intrusive and annoying....

>> So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want installed
>> on my computer without being asked, and autostart every time it
>> boots, et cetera et cetera that I dumped it years ago. Is anyone
>> still using that piece of mischief_ware?!?

> I occasionally come across people who bought it and regreted it. Now
> they get repeated spams over new and improved versions constantly....I
> removed it many moons ago.

I'm using the current [free] version (v10) and it is locked down so that in
cant access the WWW unless I specifically allow it. It also does allow users
to block most/all the privacyspyware risk 'behavours' of previous versions.
(see below for an exception to that)

I did have to rename/delete it's auto update .exe that tries to access the
WWW to look for updates on EVERY boot. There is no way that can be stopped
in the programme itself, and because I'm on dialup it was delaying the boot
time by 2-3 minutes when try to connect to the WWW before it failed, and
also causing some of the other background programmes that I run on boot to
fail.

I havn't recieved any spam as a result of using the program through; I only
use it because it's the best programme I've found to load MP3 files onto my
PDA/MP3 player.

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Mike Dee

"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:42da05c9$(E-Mail Removed):

>> thingy scribbled:

>>> So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want
>>> installed on my computer without being asked, and autostart
>>> every time it boots, et cetera et cetera that I dumped it years
>>> ago. Is anyone still using that piece of mischief_ware?!?

>> I occasionally come across people who bought it and regreted it.
>> Now they get repeated spams over new and improved versions
>> constantly....I removed it many moons ago.

> I'm using the current [free] version (v10) and it is locked down
> so that in cant access the WWW unless I specifically allow it. It
> also does allow users to block most/all the privacyspyware risk
> 'behavours' of previous versions. (see below for an exception to
> that)

Real Alternative:

<http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm>

Installed over a year back, haven't looked back since. Plays Real Media
without the grief.

--
dee