Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug crap error

Ihug crap error

Rob J

Why do I always get stupid messages when I try to post to ihug.general

"14/07/2005 22:31:53 Error reported by Server: 441 437 EMP rejected
(md5).:

Matty F

Rob J wrote:

> Why do I always get stupid messages when I try to post to ihug.general
>
> "14/07/2005 22:31:53 Error reported by Server: 441 437 EMP rejected
> (md5).:

You could look it up in Google, which might say:
"the newsserver thinks that the post was spam (due to seeing too
many messages of exactly the same length from the same posting host)"

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am says...
> 437 EMP rejected

A quick google might've led you to this faq article from
news.individual.net

begin quote >>>
Some of my articles are rejected by the server. What does the error
message "437 EMP rejected" mean?
There is a program called "cleanfeed" running on our server.
It checks postings for SPAM, binaries, etc. and rejects the posting if
necessary. A typical characteristic of SPAM is a large number of very
similar articles. cleanfeed tries to identify and block such articles.

If your posting is rejected with the "EMP" (Excessive Multi-Posting)
message, this happens because identical (or very similar) articles have
been posted - by you or other users - within a certain time span.

This can happen if your internet provider uses dynamic IP numbers and
has given you the same IP number that another customer has just used
while posting via our server. It can also happen with postings that have
the same content by coincidence (such as test postings). One or more of
these reasons can be applicable in your specific case.

In most cases a small modification of your posting will solve the
problem - you might need to change the subject.

<<< end quote.

I myself have never encountered a 437 when posting to ihug.general yet.

cheers, -Peter