Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apple G4 towers

Apple G4 towers

thing@nowehre.comm

How upgradable are the graphics cards?

I am hoping to get a ex-work G4 just looking at some options....

I know they have PCI slots but is anything really available at a sane
price to put in them?

Looking at them it looks like they come with usb1.1 so a pci usb2 card
would be a good upgrade if its around $30~40 ish.....not if its $100+ it
just becomes not worth it....

Ditto adding another firwire port....I really like imovie etc, but Im
running out of expansion options on my G3.

trademe?

regards

thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>How upgradable are the graphics cards?
>
>I am hoping to get a ex-work G4 just looking at some options....
>
>I know they have PCI slots but is anything really available at a sane
>price to put in them?
>
>Looking at them it looks like they come with usb1.1 so a pci usb2 card
>would be a good upgrade if its around $30~40 ish.....not if its $100+ it
>just becomes not worth it....
>
>Ditto adding another firwire port....I really like imovie etc, but Im
>running out of expansion options on my G3.

I think USB2 and FireWire cards are all supposed to conform to standard
interfaces (OHCI, UHCI, EHCI, something like that). Which means that,
with sufficiently recent OSes, you should be able to just plug them in
and have them work without having to install drivers.

For graphics cards, you'll need drivers.

thing2

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>How upgradable are the graphics cards?
>>
>>I am hoping to get a ex-work G4 just looking at some options....
>>
>>I know they have PCI slots but is anything really available at a sane
>>price to put in them?
>>
>>Looking at them it looks like they come with usb1.1 so a pci usb2 card
>>would be a good upgrade if its around $30~40 ish.....not if its $100+ it
>>just becomes not worth it....
>>
>>Ditto adding another firwire port....I really like imovie etc, but Im
>>running out of expansion options on my G3.

> I think USB2 and FireWire cards are all supposed to conform to standard
> interfaces (OHCI, UHCI, EHCI, something like that). Which means that,
> with sufficiently recent OSes, you should be able to just plug them in
> and have them work without having to install drivers.
>
> For graphics cards, you'll need drivers.

Thanks, from looking at DSE's site I think I can buy seperate usb2 and
firewire cards and they should work.

The fun bit will be the graphics.....I have a spare matrox g400max I
would like to use......

regards

thing

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> thing2 wrote:

> Thanks, from looking at DSE's site I think I can buy seperate usb2 and
> firewire cards and they should work.
>
> The fun bit will be the graphics.....I have a spare matrox g400max I
> would like to use......
>
> regards
>
> thing

The video card's going to be tricky. The only cards with Mac drivers are
the ATI and Nvidia cards. ATI sell retail Mac versions of some of their
cards, but the Nvidia ones are only available as Apple OEM versions. The
cards are the same as the PC versions except for a different ROM.

I know it's possible to reprogram the flash ROM in some of the Nvidia
AGP cards with a Mac ROM.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/video.html has some info.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/