Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SHURRUP YOU LOT. I'M TALKING

SHURRUP YOU LOT. I'M TALKING

PAM.

"Deadmeat" <chris@ddd> wrote in message
> To address another of your points, Linux does need to do something.
> While people may be social, companies are not. There are few if any
> economic reasons to provide Linux support for consumer hardware, until
> there is I don't see Linux becoming widely adopted because of the simple
> difficulty of getting it running. Compared of course with the
> difficulty of finding appropriate windows drivers.

10 years ago Linux was mainly command line stuff. Windows was working and
was great.
Now, Linux is GUI but has issues with drivers and installing of programs.
Windows is still easy in these depts and Linux has a way to go. With
software like Autopackage, things are getting easier for Linux and it's
users.
It's just a matter of time before Linux is able to recognise all the
hardware in your PC and work as well as Windows in this department. The
Linux version I use (Linpsire) recognised ALL my hardware and installed all
the "bits" for it. Without exception. Even my wireless network. I got all
that working without any configuration.

It IS different. But nothing difficult. Most things are very similar.

I never use the command line.

PAM.

Robert Cooze

~misfit~ wrote:
> The Black Wibble wrote:
>
>>What this means is that you really need to get a life away from
>>Linux, you mongol.

> C'mon man, what did the Mongol's ever do to you?
> --
> ~misfit~

hey thats the name of my first linux computer its called mongo mongo
started out as a 486 now it is a pentium 233mmx it still has the orignal
floppy and some of the disk blanking pannels the rest has all been
replaceded part by part the orignal disk had fried its bearing last
month TG backups

mongo has consumed 5 different operating systems since i have had it the
one that has stayed on it the longest is e-smith 2.2.19 kernal

it has had 7 diferent hard drive configs three of the drives have gone
to hard drive heaven.

3 cd rom drives (they all dont work any more)

4 power supplys

3 different caces

1 486 mother bord with 32 mb ram orignal had 8mb

1 pentium mother bord non mmx with a p90 then p133 then p166 (bord and
cpu still run)

a set of 4 16mb sims

a set of 2 16mb sims

now it has a mmx scocket seven mother bord with a pentium 233 mmx in it

it has ben in three different caces.

the dollar terms well mongo was rescued from a jumbo bin. and all parts
that have gone in to it were castoffs or free (nun of the parts in it
now I have parted cash to have)

Allistar

H.O.G wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:58:57 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these
> fine words:
>
>>(As a software developer I find developing (particularly web based)
>>software on Linux much easier. I can open a php file on the server using
>>Quanta (an editor) using the fish protocol (ssh for kde) and edit the
>>file. I don't have to download it, edit it, then upload it again. I just
>>open it from it's remote location, edit and save. Same with files on an
>>FTP server).

> I hope you're not implying that you make changes directly on your
> production server?

Depends on the client and the nature of the site. In some cases a test
environment lives on a site on an ISP, so editing that live (before QA and
release) makes sense. In another case the site is an internal only site for
doing specific scripts and reports, so no big deal there either.

The point still stands though, KDE (and yje "fish" protocol) makes this
imminently easy.

Allistar.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:58:57 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these
>fine words:
>
>>(As a software developer I find developing (particularly web based) software
>>on Linux much easier. I can open a php file on the server using Quanta (an
>>editor) using the fish protocol (ssh for kde) and edit the file. I don't
>>have to download it, edit it, then upload it again. I just open it from
>>it's remote location, edit and save. Same with files on an FTP server).

>I hope you're not implying that you make changes directly on your
>production server?

I have done. See <http://www.paulgraham.com/road.html> for a description
of the methodology.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42d60d81$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Trog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>[...]
>> Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
>> somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own cars.
>> These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relatively speaking, is idiot proof.
>> Nowadays at least.

>You write "Ms is for people that use computers. They just want the thing to
>work." OK, let me finish this for you... They just want the thing to work
>~because~ they actually ~do~ have a life that is not computer centric.
>Blindingly obvious to anyone whose life does not revolve around Linux.

I stole the following from someone's .sig:

Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.
DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work.
Windows is for people who don't want to know why it does not work.

Lawrence DąOliveiro

In article <42d6f51e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:

>I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....ead/d64bf9f458
313324/76a07e007caf7894>

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42d6f51e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:

>I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....ead/d64bf9f458
313324/76a07e007caf7894>

The Black Wibble

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <42d60d81$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
>>You write "Ms is for people that use computers. They just want the thing
>>work." OK, let me finish this for you... They just want the thing to
>>work
>>~because~ they actually ~do~ have a life that is not computer centric.
>>Blindingly obvious to anyone whose life does not revolve around Linux.

> I stole the following from someone's .sig:
>
> Linux is for people who want to know why it works.

Linux is for people who want to know how to make it work.

> Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.
> DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work.
> Windows is for people who don't want to know why it does not work.

Windows is for people who want to know only enough to make it work..

Tony.

Deadmeat

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <42d6f51e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:
>

>>I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....ead/d64bf9f458
> 313324/76a07e007caf7894>

Whats your point? Random technical problems can occur regardless of
your operating environment. How many people do you run across that in
day to day use would need to setup their computer to create automatic
backups?

Now say I want to install World of Warcraft. Running Windows I can
chuck in a CD, download and run a patch and shortly afterwards im playing.

From the looks of things its a little more involved to do this in Linux.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install...raft_with_wine

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <42daf9a5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>> In article <42d6f51e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:
>>

>>>I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

>> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....ead/d64bf9f458
>> 313324/76a07e007caf7894>

>Whats your point? Random technical problems can occur regardless of
>your operating environment. How many people do you run across that in
>day to day use would need to setup their computer to create automatic
>backups?

Everybody with data of any importance.

[META] Talking about talking about C. Seebs C Programming 113 11-24-2010 08:57 AM
4 computers 2 not talking to each other Carol Wireless Networking 8 12-30-2005 06:11 PM
Shurrup you lot. Im speaking. (sniff) Trog NZ Computing 7 07-16-2005 10:05 PM
ATM links not talking polifemo Cisco 1 10-20-2003 02:28 PM
where can I find book/resources talking about DSP design using VHDL? walala VHDL 1 09-01-2003 09:54 AM

Advertisments