Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Would you drive a Car with this in..?

Would you drive a Car with this in..?

Tony

Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
Virus..

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

Peter

Tony wrote:

> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
> Virus..
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

or, "sorry that version of software is no longer supported, you have to buy
a new one".

I would much prefer a system that, if the OEM stopped supporting it, I could
pay someone else to do what I needed (or do it myself). (But I guess they
won't extract as much $$ from me that way.)

Peter

thing@nowehre.comm

Tony wrote:

> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
> Virus..
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

No.

regards

Thing

thing2

> Tony wrote:
>

>> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected
>> by a
>> Virus..
>>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx
>>

> No.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I believe in eating my own dog food, if it were Linux or BSD based I
would buy one.

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Tony wrote:
> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
> Virus..

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
engine management, then sure.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Nova

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>
>> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected
>> by a
>> Virus..

>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

> I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
> engine management, then sure.

or the brakes?

thing2

Nova wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Tony wrote:
>>
>>> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected
>>> by a
>>> Virus..

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

>> I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
>> engine management, then sure.
>>

> or the brakes?

lol.....especially the brakes, nor the door locks.....talk about vendor
lockin!

;]

regards

thing

Richard

Tony wrote:

> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
> Virus..
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

Drive, yes

Own, no

ofn01

thing2 wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> I havent read the whole thing, but as long as it is not touching the
>>> engine management, then sure.
>>>

>> or the brakes?

> lol.....especially the brakes, nor the door locks.....talk about vendor
> lockin!
>
> ;]
>
> regards
>
> thing

You can imagine the Microsoft DRM on your car if it could control the
locks "Sorry, please phone this number to get a license then we will
transmit the unlock code to your car (disclaimer - may or may not work)"

Mercury

Well, I am looking at building an XP based system with wifi, lan (bulk load
audio,video etc), video playback, mapping, audio of all flavours, cd / dvd
ripping, remote admin, firewall, internet, email etc. using probably a 7"
LCD screen in the dash with a low heat dissipation cpu (pentium M on an asus
p4p800) raid 1 on 2 x 250 gb HDD's.

If I had the time this could be up and running in a few days with the big
hassle being routing the wiring, hooking in ignition kill, a UPS, and
fitting the small video screen in where the satnav is supposed to be. The
current sound system is supposed to be quite good & experience confirms
that, but the people that spec'd it made *no* provision for any improvements
so the head unit is likely to get biffed as it will be redundant.

Now whats wrong with that? The MS solution supports all sorts of cost
savings for integration and would work out a lot less expensive ...

It would appear their is no actual competiton to the MS proposal, so how
about coming up with some?

BTW: does anyone know where to get good video screens around 7"? I have
looked at a few and the quality is AWOL.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Take your car to the Auto shop, sorry chap your car has been affected by a
> Virus..
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...inAuto5PR.mspx

CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed Digital Photography 3 10-31-2007 10:50 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C++ 0 10-31-2007 02:25 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C Programming 0 10-31-2007 02:24 AM
Would you buy a car like this? Supervisor DVD Video 0 01-03-2005 02:44 AM

Advertisments