Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Earth

Google Earth

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:18:13 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

>It roughly equivalent to needing a JRE (Java runtime environment) to run
>Java apps.
>
>You need a .NET runtime environment to run .NET apps.

AFAIK, that's windows only isn't it ?

Bruce

-------------------------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce

(if there were any)

~misfit~

jedmeister wrote:
> "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of
>> those few pieces of software that really shows the value of modern
>> computers. So check
>> it out.
>>
>> http://earth.google.com/earth.html

> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for
> NZ sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
>
> see...
>
> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

From that page:

"World Wind requires that you have .NET runtime environment."

Does that mean I have to have one of those MS passports? Just wondering
before I 'waste' a 180MB download.

What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

Otherwise it appears excellent.

Thanks,
--
~misfit~

AD.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:18:13 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

It roughly equivalent to needing a JRE (Java runtime environment) to run
Java apps.

You need a .NET runtime environment to run .NET apps.

--
Cheers
Anton

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>>What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

>>It roughly equivalent to needing a JRE (Java runtime environment) to run
>>Java apps.

>>You need a .NET runtime environment to run .NET apps.

> AFAIK, that's windows only isn't it ?

I think there is a Linux equivilent(mono?) but not really sure about
that, it's not my area.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

AD.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:02:32 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>It roughly equivalent to needing a JRE (Java runtime environment) to run
>>>Java apps.

>>>You need a .NET runtime environment to run .NET apps.

>> AFAIK, that's windows only isn't it ?

> I think there is a Linux equivilent(mono?) but not really sure about that,
> it's not my area.

Yep, kinda. Mono implements parts of .NET - eg the CLI (I think
that's Common Language Interface not Command Line Interface), the C#
language and some (but not all) of the standard APIs. I doubt Mono would
handle anything really graphical like that though - it's probably using
some Windows only part of .NET.

But I'm not really a .NET or Mono expert, so someone else probably has a
better handle on the details.

--
Cheers
Anton

~misfit~

AD. wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:18:13 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

> It roughly equivalent to needing a JRE (Java runtime environment) to
> run Java apps.
>
> You need a .NET runtime environment to run .NET apps.

Thanks Anton.
--
~misfit~

Graham

~misfit~ wrote:

> jedmeister wrote:
> > "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of
> >> those few pieces of software that really shows the value of modern
> >> computers. So check
> >> it out.
> >>
> >> http://earth.google.com/earth.html

> > But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for
> > NZ sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
> >
> > see...
> >
> > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

> From that page:
>
> "World Wind requires that you have .NET runtime environment."
>
> Does that mean I have to have one of those MS passports? Just wondering
> before I 'waste' a 180MB download.
>
> What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

Something you download from Windows Update. About 20MB.

> Otherwise it appears excellent.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~

michael

Graham wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>jedmeister wrote:
>>
>>>"Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for
>>>NZ sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
>>>
>>>see...
>>>
>>>http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

>>From that page:
>>
>>"World Wind requires that you have .NET runtime environment."
>>
>>Does that mean I have to have one of those MS passports? Just wondering
>>before I 'waste' a 180MB download.
>>
>>What exactly is a ".NET runtime environment"?

> Something you download from Windows Update. About 20MB.
>

>>Otherwise it appears excellent.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>--
>>~misfit~

I just installed it .Net.

Why did it need to change the way I log into my computer????
Typical MS. INstall some software and it dicks with other
things.
J2EE does not dick with your system.

And I compared Nasa World Wind woth Google Earth. Google Earth
is sooooooooo much easier to use and seems clearer. Both
have inaccurate data for NZ it seems.

Had a GREAT laugh with Google Earth.
I was hovering over London. Wifey suggests we see if we can
see the Taj Mahal in India. So I type Taj Mahal in the search box
(without India). We both have a huge laugh with the results....

Allistar

Robert Cooze wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>heh, not bad
>>>less than two days and the OS war has begun already.

>> Just dispelling the myth that Google Earth is free - no OS scrap
>> intended.
>>
>> Allistar.

> hang on you also had to buy the pc as well this google earth is getting
> pricy.

Having a PC would be assumed. It is software after all. My bug bear is that
quite often it is assumed you run Windows, which is often quite patently
false.

Allistar.

Fishb8

WorldWind is typical overblown American $h1te. Not worth the download.