Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Earth

Google Earth

Graham

Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So check
it out.

http://earth.google.com/earth.html

Fortitudo Dei

> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
> pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So

check
> it out.

Any idea how big the download is?

Nova

Fortitudo Dei wrote:
>>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
>>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So

> check
>
>>it out.
>>

> Any idea how big the download is?

10 megs

jedmeister

"Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
> pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
> check
> it out.
>
> http://earth.google.com/earth.html

But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...

see...

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

michael

jedmeister wrote:
> "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
>>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
>>check
>>it out.
>>
>>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
> maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
>
> see...
>
> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

err, google earth is free.

Nova

jedmeister wrote:
> "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
>>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
>>check
>>it out.
>>
>>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ sat
> maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
>
> see...
>
> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

180 megs.. slightly larger than the 10 for the google earth...
Can you zoom down to seeing individual houses in this one for nz cities?

brazen

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42d4415e$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can you zoom down to seeing individual houses in this one for nz cities?

wooo, well I'm pretty sure I can identify my roof.

Gay

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Nova wrote:
>>> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of
>>> those few
>>> pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So

>> Any idea how big the download is?

> 10 megs

but it chews through bandwidth when grabbing map detail.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

jedmeister

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42d4415e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> jedmeister wrote:
>> "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those
>>>few
>>>pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So
>>>check
>>>it out.
>>>
>>>http://earth.google.com/earth.html

>> But, there is also a much better 'free' alternative (especially for NZ
>> sat maps)...paid for by the american taxpayer...
>>
>> see...
>>
>> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html
>>

> 180 megs.. slightly larger than the 10 for the google earth...
> Can you zoom down to seeing individual houses in this one for nz cities?

Well, it is better quality than google earth in my opinion and it has
superior 3d mapping. It is perhaps missing some of the fancy settings such
as distance fading and ocean bitmapping.

Peter Grooby

> Didn't hear about this great program until recently. It's one of those few
> pieces of software that really shows the value of modern computers. So check
> it out.
>
> http://earth.google.com/earth.html

The cool thing it took me a few days to discover.
Under the view setting set elevation adjustment, or whatever it is
called to the max value of 3, then go somewhere mountainous and tilt the
view angle, rotating the camera at this point is cool too,

Peter
Remove pants from email address to reply.