Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 19 inch LCD with svideo or component video in.

19 inch LCD with svideo or component video in.

Rob

Can anyone recommend an LCD monitor that has these features. Would like to
use it as a TV DVD screen when my computer isn't connected to it.

TIA

Richard

Rob wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an LCD monitor that has these features. Would like to
> use it as a TV DVD screen when my computer isn't connected to it.

You may not be happy with the results on one thats designed primarily as a
computer monitor as the deinterlacer in them seems to be pretty crap.

If you are going this route, check it out on an interlaced source in store
before committing to buy it.

Rob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend an LCD monitor that has these features. Would like

> > use it as a TV DVD screen when my computer isn't connected to it.

> You may not be happy with the results on one thats designed primarily as a
> computer monitor as the deinterlacer in them seems to be pretty crap.
>
> If you are going this route, check it out on an interlaced source in store
> before committing to buy it.

Cheers for that. How about the LCD TVs such as Sonys MFMHT75W, which can
also be used as a computer monitor
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...etailReview.do . Could this be a better way to go?

Richard

Rob wrote:

> Cheers for that. How about the LCD TVs such as Sonys MFMHT75W, which can
> also be used as a computer monitor
> http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...etailReview.do . Could this be a better way to go?

Just try it out and see how it goes. Dont be fooled by them playing a DVD of
some movie on it and that looking good - any POS deinterlacer can undo the 3:2
or 2:2 pulldown, its live sports that is the killer for deinterlacing. All the
fine detail of the lines on the pitch, the ball, etc and things moving different
directions can cause the crap ones to have fringing all over the place.

Be aware that some defects may be because its being fed from a mpeg decoder with
the chroma bug, and that there are still players out ther ethat havent had this
issue fixed. - see here
http://206.225.87.49/volume_8_2/dvd-...ug-4-2001.html
for pictures of what it looks like and how it happens. (Its because interlaced
video sucks, and sub-sampling it makes it even worse)

Daver

There is a Samsung 930MP or Hyundai L19T both around $1150. Samsung has PIP
so you watch TV while doing PC stuff (or the other way round).

> Can anyone recommend an LCD monitor that has these features. Would like to
> use it as a TV DVD screen when my computer isn't connected to it.
>
> TIA

Graham

Richard wrote:

> Rob wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend an LCD monitor that has these features. Would like to
> > use it as a TV DVD screen when my computer isn't connected to it.

> You may not be happy with the results on one thats designed primarily as a
> computer monitor as the deinterlacer in them seems to be pretty crap.
>
> If you are going this route, check it out on an interlaced source in store
> before committing to buy it.

Geez, 000's of dollars at stake on the basis of such fundamental facts. I'm
glad I'm not rich....

Andrew

Rob wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an LCD monitor that has these features. Would like to
> use it as a TV DVD screen when my computer isn't connected to it.
>
> TIA

We have Dell 20" monitors here at work - cant remember the model, but
ill find it, they have composite in and svideo in, We have used them to
play xbox/playstation and it looks great