Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > software router

software router

Nova

Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
but ease of setup would be a bonus .

thanks

The Other Guy

How about using CARP?

You can also do round-robbin connections using pf or other firewalls (to
share the load), and perhaps run a script to test if the host is up and
alter the firewall rules accordingly.

I'd look at using pf and/or CARP on FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

The Other Guy

Nova wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
> an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
> instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
> another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
> luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
> Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
> but ease of setup would be a bonus .
>
> thanks

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Nova wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
> an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
> instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
> another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
> luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
> Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
> but ease of setup would be a bonus .

Routing port to an IP is easy, port mapper from analogx.com
The next bit would be tricky... it almost looks like load
balancing/round-robin type software, but not sure from your description.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

thing2

Nova wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
> an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
> instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
> another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
> luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
> Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
> but ease of setup would be a bonus .
>
> thanks

This sounds like a cluster setup with IP packet re-direction.

So you have a node at the front and a range of servers behind it, the
front node does the load / balance / fall over job.

The front node is usually an active/passive 2 node cluster, feeding to
the 3 node or more application / database servers....To make it worth
while you are really looking at needing the sort of number crunching
from 3 or more back end boxes to make the entire 5+ box setup worthwhile.

regards

thing

David Preece

Nova wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
> an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
> instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
> another ip etc etc.

That'll be a load balancer then. How you do it depends on how much
traffic you're wanting to shift - if it's a gigabit then you'll need to
talk to the likes of alteon, but if it's only a few Mbit then I think
there are OSS load balancers around. Hang on...

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

http://www.inlab.de/balance.html

It's a start, anyway.

Cheers,
Dave

Gordon Smith

Nova wrote:
> Does anyone know of any software routers where you can route by port to
> an ip, but if the destintation port/ip is not responding you can then
> instruct the router to route to a secondary ip, and if thats not working
> another ip etc etc. I have had a quick scan around but haven't had much
> luck finding this feature. I am looking for software routers both for
> Windows and *nix systems. free or commercial makes no difference to me,
> but ease of setup would be a bonus .
>
> thanks

Thats what a layer 4 switch does