Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free AVG Virus checker any good??

Free AVG Virus checker any good??

Mutlley

My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.

TIA.

Mauricio Freitas

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.

I am running Avast now (www.avast.com) and it is working fine on my Windows
XP Pro and Tablet PC. Not big interference, easy to configure and passed
some tests.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

Chatterley

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
>
> TIA.

AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

Mutlley

"Chatterley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
>>
>> TIA.
>>

>AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

Thanx for that.

jedmeister

"Chatterley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hoiAe.74$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
>>
>> TIA.
>>

> AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

I have norton AV. It is OK, but their online activation software is utter
crap.

A while ago I had a problem while I was still within the subscription period
but I could not reinstall due to some crap bullshit from the norton software
itself. After much talking with them, they reactivated my key but now it
seems to be perpetual.

Now everytime I reinstall norton (each time windows xp needs a reinstall),
the subscription extends by 1 year from the reinstallation date.

They really need to sort this activation issue with their software. Whoever
made it should be fired.

XPD

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
>
> TIA.

I run it on my machines and have been installing it on client systems.....
however, it seems to miss stuff that NAV finds, and vice versa :-/
Client machine had a virus/trojan and their NAV picked it up but wouldnt
kill it, but AVG, TrendMicro wouldnt find it.

S Roby

>AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.

Quoting
http://www.netguide.co.nz/knowhow/bu...int.php?iid=17
Pros: It's free
Cons: It doesn't work well

Have a look here
http://www.icsa.net/html/communities...products.shtml
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml

The "Compter Associates' EZ Antivirus" that someone else recommended is
probhably the best free AV.

Steve Marshall

Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.

In my opinion, pretty much anything will be better than McAfee, but
maybe the McAfee software has improved recently.

One option is to get a free 12-month trial of Compter Associates' EZ
Antivirus.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237002

Or find it on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

AVG seems fine as well. I happen to like the smaller footprint and
more frequent updates of the EZAV product. It's also very inexpensive
to buy, once the trial is over.

Invisible

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:00:40 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote:

>>AVG is fine. Save your money for the important stuff.
>>

>Quoting
>http://www.netguide.co.nz/knowhow/bu...int.php?iid=17
>Pros: It's free
>Cons: It doesn't work well

That review was put up there on 2004-03-01, version 7 is an improvement. I
prefer Avast, with its smaller almost daily updates, unlike AVG who sometimes
drop a 5mb update on you which ain't cool on dialup.

Dave Taylor

Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> My McAfee sub is running out and I was wondering.
>
> TIA.

No, it is easy but not without issues.
Antivir or avast.

--