Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Quiet PSU for AMD system

Quiet PSU for AMD system

Andrew Dixon

Hi,

I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.

Thanks
Andy

Rob J

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:36:00 +1200, Andrew Dixon
<andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
>like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
>socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
>recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
>probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
>won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
>need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
>$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.

My new PC has an Enermax, it's only 250W in this PC but the whole
thing is incredibly quiet.

Peter Huebner

In article <42d1a2d4$(E-Mail Removed)>, andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com
says...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
> like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
> socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
> recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
> probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
> won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
> need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
> $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

119.74 Dollars, and very very quiet. You can hear exactly just how quiet
after turning the machine off because it keeps running the fans for a
while after to cool everything down nicely. You have to hold your head
close to the case to hear it at all. It is definitely not *silent*, but
the sound is barely perceptible and a not_unpleasant grey noise. (rather
than sharp or whiney or beat or pulse all of which are unpleasant
noises). For even quieter you'd probably have bo buy a Nexus at twice
the price or one of those fan-less ones at three times the price

-P.

gibbo

Andrew Dixon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
> like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
> socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
> recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
> probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
> won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
> need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
> $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00044

fanless = no noise at all... but pricey.

Andrew Dixon

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <42d1a2d4$(E-Mail Removed)>, andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com
> says...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
>>like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
>>socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
>>recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
>>probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
>>won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
>>need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
>>$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Andy
>>

> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=144941
>
> 119.74 Dollars, and very very quiet. You can hear exactly just how quiet
> after turning the machine off because it keeps running the fans for a
> while after to cool everything down nicely. You have to hold your head
> close to the case to hear it at all. It is definitely not *silent*, but
> the sound is barely perceptible and a not_unpleasant grey noise. (rather
> than sharp or whiney or beat or pulse all of which are unpleasant
> noises). For even quieter you'd probably have bo buy a Nexus at twice
> the price or one of those fan-less ones at three times the price
>
> -P.

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like the frontrunner at the moment.

Thanks
Andy

~misfit~

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <42d1a2d4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
>> like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
>> socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
>> recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
>> probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so
>> it won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably
>> only need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing
>> around the $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if
>> necessary.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andy
>>

> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=144941
>
> 119.74 Dollars, and very very quiet. You can hear exactly just how
> quiet after turning the machine off because it keeps running the fans
> for a while after to cool everything down nicely. You have to hold
> your head close to the case to hear it at all. It is definitely not
> *silent*, but the sound is barely perceptible and a not_unpleasant
> grey noise. (rather than sharp or whiney or beat or pulse all of
> which are unpleasant noises). For even quieter you'd probably have
> bo buy a Nexus at twice the price or one of those fan-less ones at
> three times the price

Looks nice.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

gibbo wrote:
> Andrew Dixon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
>> like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
>> socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
>> recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
>> probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so
>> it won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably
>> only need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing
>> around the $120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if
>> necessary.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andy

> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00044
>
> fanless = no noise at all... but pricey.

The only probelm with going fanless with the PSU is that ensures you *will*
need a case fan and most case fans are noisier than a good (cheaper than the
above) PSU.
--
~misfit~

Tony

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:36:00 +1200, Andrew Dixon
<andrewdixon1000@gmail_nospam_.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
>like to be as quiet as possible. I am currently planning on using a
>socket 754 Sempron with an as yet undecided cooler. Can someone
>recommend a reasonably quiet PSU, suitable for use in a living room
>probably next to the TV? It's not going to be a high end system so it
>won't contain a power hungry vga card, so I'm thinking I probably only
>need say a 350W supply at most. Hoping to get some thing around the
>$120 mark or less, but willing to go a little higher if necessary.
>
>Thanks
>Andy

Plus you need a Fan to keep the Hard Drives cool..

This has a Fan control thing and they are Very Quite

Enermax EG425P-VE SFMA, Dual Fan, 420W ATX PSU

$119.74 incl GST

David Preece

Andrew Dixon wrote:
> I am looking at building a reasonably budget AMD system that I would
> like to be as quiet as possible.

I got an Antec PSU. Very good, but a bit on the pricey side ($170 odd
these days).

Dave