Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can't play recorded MP3 songs on DVD player

Can't play recorded MP3 songs on DVD player

~misfit~

Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> XPD wrote:
>>> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just
>>> something in the way that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s
>>> from working.... I dont know the technical explanation but a
>>> mate of mine does.....

>> Interesting to know, thanks. I was hoping to archive all my mp3s
>> onto DVD for playing in lounge etc. Sounds like it won't work
>> and they'll have to continue to take up space on my HDD and I'll
>> still need a pile of CDRs. I wonder what are the specifics?

> My Philips DVP642 plays MP3 files from a DVD.
> Some players do, some don't.
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
> ... even has a search criteria for "DVD-MP3" to show which DVD
> players handle it and which don't.
>
> 404 DVD Players supports d.DVDMP3 62%
> 252 DVD Players do not support d.DVDMP3 38%
> 656 DVD Players tested (4930 DVD Players are not tested).
>
> Another 2692 players do MP3, but may or may not do DVD-MP3 (among the
> not tested).

Thanks Mark, I'm just about to look up my DVD player on that site now and
see if it's listed.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Mark C wrote:
> My Philips DVP642 plays MP3 files from a DVD.
> Some players do, some don't.
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
> ... even has a search criteria for "DVD-MP3" to show which DVD
> players handle it and which don't.
>
> 404 DVD Players supports d.DVDMP3 62%
> 252 DVD Players do not support d.DVDMP3 38%
> 656 DVD Players tested (4930 DVD Players are not tested).
>
> Another 2692 players do MP3, but may or may not do DVD-MP3 (among the
> not tested).

Seems my fairly new Panasonic NV-VP32 DVD player/VCR combo isn't listed. I
don't have a DVD burner yet so I can't submit a report either. It says on
the box it plays DVD-/+R/RW and RAM and mp3s and it plays mp3s from a CDR
just fine. I'll have to save my pennies and buy one of those LG burners and
find out I guess.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Sticky

XPD wrote:

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
>>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
>>in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
>>on CD.

> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
> that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
> technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

I have a cheap DVD player that refuses to play mp3 files from a DVD
unless at least one of them is in the "root" directory. The books says
at least one mp3 must be visible to the DVD so it recognises the disc
as an mp3 disc. Same for CD's.

You would be better to write the audio as an audio mpeg file. See Aust
PC User June 2005 Page 90ff.

--
Jim

Craig Shore

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:12:52 +1200, Sticky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XPD wrote:
>
>> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
>>>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
>>>in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
>>>on CD.

>> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
>> that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
>> technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....
>>

>I have a cheap DVD player that refuses to play mp3 files from a DVD
>unless at least one of them is in the "root" directory. The books says
>at least one mp3 must be visible to the DVD so it recognises the disc
>as an mp3 disc. Same for CD's.
>
>You would be better to write the audio as an audio mpeg file. See Aust
>PC User June 2005 Page 90ff.

When reading that article I was wondering about them going on about the quality.
Where abouts are you going to source anything at that quality to put on there?

Lawrence D╣Oliveiro

In article <danec6$kj$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Daver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some years ago I read it was a condition of the DVD logo that MP3s cannot be
>played on a DVD. This certainly seems to be the case with the brand name
>DVD I have tried and not necessarily the case for cheap chinese players as
>you might expect.
>

>"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
>> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
>>in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on
>>CD.

Do you mean the DVD-Video logo? Because your PC's DVD drive has a DVD
logo on it too, yet that doesn't stop it playing MP3s from DVD discs.