Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can't play recorded MP3 songs on DVD player

Can't play recorded MP3 songs on DVD player

Chris

I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.

Chris

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:29:31 +1200, "Chris"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
>the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.
>
>Chris

Thanks for letting us know that. Things like this (or the reverse i.e.
a DVD player that plays MP3's off a DVD) often aren't documented and
often hard to find the answer to (short of taking in a DVD to test)

Philip

A wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:29:31 +1200, "Chris"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
>>I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
>>the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.
>>
>>Chris

> Thanks for letting us know that. Things like this (or the reverse i.e.
> a DVD player that plays MP3's off a DVD) often aren't documented and
> often hard to find the answer to (short of taking in a DVD to test)

Mikght you have run up against some kind of DRM? Were the MP3s
downloaded from some source that might have poisoned them? Or do you
need to go thru a routine to tell the player that the DVD disk in it is
actually an audio format - and indeed, how do you author an audio format
DVD, which would be a lovely thing to be able to keep in the car! If you
had a player that could read it!

Philip

Jules Winnfield

news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
> in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
> on CD.
>
> Chris

I have the same issue. I recently bought a DVD burner and I can get my Sony
DVD player in the lounge to play my home-made DVD videos but not DVD's full
of mp3s. It will play mp3 CDs just fine. I thought it may have been a
limitation of the player as the instruction book mentioned a maximum of 99
tracks per "album" (folder on the DVD) so I burnt a DVD with only 50 mp3s
but that didn't work either. So I'm guessing it's a limitation of the player
rather than a technical issue although the instruction booklet doesn't
explicitly state it can't play mp3 DVDs.

Richard

Chris wrote:
> I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play in
> the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on CD.
>
> Chris

Perhaps try writing a disc with only iso on it, without udf and see if it works
any better?

XPD

news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
> in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
> on CD.

Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

Tony

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:25:33 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
>> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play
>> in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded
>> on CD.

>Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in the way
>that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I dont know the
>technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

Its Very Simple it sees the Disk as a DVD and does not expect it to contain
MP3's.

Like a lot of Players can play MINI DVD's as it sees the CD as a CD not as
a DVD...

~misfit~

XPD wrote:
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD
>> player. I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but
>> they won't play in the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can
>> play MP3 songs recorded on CD.

> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just something in
> the way that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s from working.... I
> dont know the technical explanation but a mate of mine does.....

Interesting to know, thanks. I was hoping to archive all my mp3s onto DVD
for playing in lounge etc. Sounds like it won't work and they'll have to
continue to take up space on my HDD and I'll still need a pile of CDRs. I
wonder what are the specifics?
--
~misfit~

Daver

Some years ago I read it was a condition of the DVD logo that MP3s cannot be
played on a DVD. This certainly seems to be the case with the brand name
DVD I have tried and not necessarily the case for cheap chinese players as
you might expect.

news:42ce37c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD writer and a Sony DVP-NS575P CD/DVD player.
> I have recorded some MP3 songs on a DVD disk (DVD+R) but they won't play

in
> the DVD player. (Message "CANNOT PLAY") I can play MP3 songs recorded on

CD.

> Chris

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> XPD wrote:
>> Yup, known issue since DVD Writers came out...... just
>> something in the way that DVDs are written that prevents MP3s
>> from working.... I dont know the technical explanation but a
>> mate of mine does.....

> Interesting to know, thanks. I was hoping to archive all my mp3s
> onto DVD for playing in lounge etc. Sounds like it won't work
> and they'll have to continue to take up space on my HDD and I'll
> still need a pile of CDRs. I wonder what are the specifics?

My Philips DVP642 plays MP3 files from a DVD.
Some players do, some don't.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
.... even has a search criteria for "DVD-MP3" to show which DVD
players handle it and which don't.

404 DVD Players supports d.DVDMP3 62%
252 DVD Players do not support d.DVDMP3 38%
656 DVD Players tested (4930 DVD Players are not tested).

Another 2692 players do MP3, but may or may not do DVD-MP3 (among the
not tested).

Mark