Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > connecting printer through router

connecting printer through router

=?Utf-8?B?c2F2YW5uYWggc3BhcnJvdw==?=

I have a new printer with a wired LAN port. I also have a router that sends
into which wired LAN connections can be plugged and which can send and
receive wireless transmission. Can I plug my printer into one of the
router's LAN ports and then communicate between my computer's wireless
adaptor and this router and control the printer this way? If so, how do I do
it? I cannot make heads of tails of all of the networking techie jibberish
(jargon, acronyms, etc.) in all of the help files.

I also have a DSL modem with wireless transmission. My computer talks
directly to this modem via its wireless adaptor. Thus, I do not have the
router attached to this modem and want to avoid it if possible (due to home
configuration issues). Also I have no other computers at do not want to set
up the standard "home network" where multiple computers have access to one
internet connection.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Yes, if both your computer and the printer are connected wirelessly or by
cable to the router's LAN, then you can use the the printer provided it is
properly installed/configured, etc. However, you cannot simultaneously
establish a wireless connection to your modem and to your router unless
these devices are properly connected or you have two wireless adapters in
your computer.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"savannah sparrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...