Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mac os x 10.3, attempting to make an image of the 10.3 to a firewiredisk

Mac os x 10.3, attempting to make an image of the 10.3 to a firewiredisk

thing

I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....

:/

any ideas?

thanks

Thing

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:17:48 +1200, thing wrote:

> I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
>
> :/
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> Thing

Yeah I seem to remember a problem like that.
In the end, I used NetRestore and saved the image on a network volume
instead (and later moved it back to a bootable firewire).

Maybe there is a solution in http://forums.bombich.com/

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> thing wrote:

> I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
>
>:/
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> Thing

I've never used the restore function in Disk utility so I've just tried
it now. I attempted to restore from my internal hard drive to an
external USB drive. It stopped with an error number. It worked after I
erased the drive to HFS format (it was MS-DOS) and tried again with the
'Erase Destination' option enabled.

It looked like it was going to take several hours to copy, but I had to
stop it anyway since the external drive is far smaller than the space
used on my boot drive.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
>
> :/
>
> any ideas?

Use Carbon Copy Cloner. Which si just an AppleScript/Cocoa front-end to
/usr/bin/ditto, but a nice one

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

thing

Roger Johnstone wrote:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> thing wrote:
>

>>I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
>>
>>:/
>>
>>any ideas?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Thing

> I've never used the restore function in Disk utility so I've just tried
> it now. I attempted to restore from my internal hard drive to an
> external USB drive. It stopped with an error number. It worked after I
> erased the drive to HFS format (it was MS-DOS) and tried again with the
> 'Erase Destination' option enabled.
>
> It looked like it was going to take several hours to copy, but I had to
> stop it anyway since the external drive is far smaller than the space
> used on my boot drive.

I did erase it as it was a windows disk previously....then I did it
again just to make sure, no joy.....

I sorta solved it, I just copied all the 10.3 folders to the ext disk
and chose that as the upgrade disk for 10.4 and it appears to be ok so far.

The Mac also didnt have a dvd internal drive....so I took a DSE 3.5 inch
firewire case, opened it up and attached a 6 speed pioneer internal dvd
player....popped in the tiger dvd and so far the install is going fine!

I really didnt fancy sending the dvd to OZ to get cds by return.......if
it got lost I'd be stuffed....

regards

Thing