Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help - Telstra cable and Linksys cable router

Help - Telstra cable and Linksys cable router

g00g1eme@gmail.com

I've got a client making the switch from JetStream to Telstra Cable.
The cable modem has been installed and today I tried connecting a
Linksys BEFSR41 cable router. I couldn't get the bloody thing to work
though. The Linksys has seven operating modes. I tried the Static IP
mode (I'm 99% sure this is the correct one) and PPPoE mode but the
Internet link light on the router remained unlit. I tried both a
straight-through cable and a crossover cable. I configured the router
with the static IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers that
the Telstra installer left on a sheet of paper. What am I doing wrong?

Andrew

> I've got a client making the switch from JetStream to Telstra Cable.
> The cable modem has been installed and today I tried connecting a
> Linksys BEFSR41 cable router. I couldn't get the bloody thing to work
> though. The Linksys has seven operating modes. I tried the Static IP
> mode (I'm 99% sure this is the correct one) and PPPoE mode but the
> Internet link light on the router remained unlit. I tried both a
> straight-through cable and a crossover cable. I configured the router
> with the static IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers that
> the Telstra installer left on a sheet of paper. What am I doing wrong?

I thought you had to use the telstra clear cable modems - not
aftermarket ones, Telstra supply motorolla ones

Back in the day when i ran starlyte, i did list a linksys one stating
that it was okay with the telstraclear network, This information
actually came from the ascent website, I tried to get confirmation of
someone owning one and using it on the telstraclear network with no
prevail. I then recieved a phonecall from telstra asking me to remove it
from my website as it was NOT suitable for the telstraclear network. In
the end i did remove it as i didnt want the hassle of 1 - telstra on my
back and 2 - if they were right customers complaining that it doesnt work

to this day i dont actually know if they work or not..

Michael Newbery

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've got a client making the switch from JetStream to Telstra Cable.
> The cable modem has been installed and today I tried connecting a
> Linksys BEFSR41 cable router. I couldn't get the bloody thing to work
> though. The Linksys has seven operating modes. I tried the Static IP
> mode (I'm 99% sure this is the correct one) and PPPoE mode but the
> Internet link light on the router remained unlit. I tried both a
> straight-through cable and a crossover cable. I configured the router
> with the static IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers that
> the Telstra installer left on a sheet of paper. What am I doing wrong?

What you have done it right. You need to configure it using a static IP
address. You will have been given:
* The IP address
* The mask (probably 255.255.255.0)
* The gateway (x.x.x.1)
* The Paradise DNS server addresses

You configure the BEFSR41 to use that IP address on its WAN port, and
set it up as a NAT on the interior LAN ports.

It sounds like you've done all the right things. What happens if you
plug directly into the cable modem, just to confirm that the CM is set
up correctly? I assume that all the lights on the front of the modem are
indicating happiness, and that you've not pressed the blue (? I can't
remember) 'isolate me from the Internet' button.

Tony

On 6 Jul 2005 21:57:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've got a client making the switch from JetStream to Telstra Cable.
>The cable modem has been installed and today I tried connecting a
>Linksys BEFSR41 cable router. I couldn't get the bloody thing to work
>though. The Linksys has seven operating modes. I tried the Static IP
>mode (I'm 99% sure this is the correct one) and PPPoE mode but the
>Internet link light on the router remained unlit. I tried both a
>straight-through cable and a crossover cable. I configured the router
>with the static IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers that
>the Telstra installer left on a sheet of paper. What am I doing wrong?

Telstra Cable uses a Fixed IP and TCP/IP and the PC on Auto

That is using standard LAN ports not USB.

I set up the DSE one and it works great..

Andrew

Andrew wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I've got a client making the switch from JetStream to Telstra Cable.
>> The cable modem has been installed and today I tried connecting a
>> Linksys BEFSR41 cable router. I couldn't get the bloody thing to work
>> though. The Linksys has seven operating modes. I tried the Static IP
>> mode (I'm 99% sure this is the correct one) and PPPoE mode but the
>> Internet link light on the router remained unlit. I tried both a
>> straight-through cable and a crossover cable. I configured the router
>> with the static IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers that
>> the Telstra installer left on a sheet of paper. What am I doing wrong?
>>

> I thought you had to use the telstra clear cable modems - not
> aftermarket ones, Telstra supply motorolla ones
>
> Back in the day when i ran starlyte, i did list a linksys one stating
> that it was okay with the telstraclear network, This information
> actually came from the ascent website, I tried to get confirmation of
> someone owning one and using it on the telstraclear network with no
> prevail. I then recieved a phonecall from telstra asking me to remove it
> from my website as it was NOT suitable for the telstraclear network. In
> the end i did remove it as i didnt want the hassle of 1 - telstra on my
> back and 2 - if they were right customers complaining that it doesnt work
>
> to this day i dont actually know if they work or not..

Ignore my post... thought the linksys router was also the cable modem

AD.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:09:06 +1200, Michael Newbery wrote:

> It sounds like you've done all the right things. What happens if you plug
> directly into the cable modem, just to confirm that the CM is set up
> correctly?

Yeah agreed. Plug a PC directly into the cable modem (might need a cross
over cable?) and see if that works with the same IP settings. That should
isolate whether it's the modem or the router.

Could the problem just be a crossover/uplink thing between the modem and
the router? Try swapping between crossover and straight through cables to
see if that makes any difference.

--
Cheers
Anton

g00g1eme@gmail.com

I configured it exactly as you describe.

I couldn't plug the modem directly into a PC, because the modem is
installed in the client's comms rack, which is no where near a PC. I
will take a laptop with me next time.

All the lights on the modem were lit (the ones that should be). Is the
blue button the 'Standby' button? I did try pressing that but turned it
back on again. I also tried powering it off completely by pulling the
power cord out.

I've done one other Telstra cable router install before, which went
without any hiccups. That was a couple of years ago, but I'm sure I did
everything the same.

g00g1eme@gmail.com

As in original post, I tried both a straight-through cable and a
crossover cable.