Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Norton SystemWorks 2005

Norton SystemWorks 2005

John

Is anyone using Norton SystemWorks 2005? If so, could you tell me if
the Norton GoBack programme that comes on the disk is the full, or cut
down version? (Can't find this information on the Sysmantec site)

Regards,
John.

Peter Huebner

In article <1qzzczzoalv69$.1m0moxio2074$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Is anyone using Norton SystemWorks 2005? If so, could you tell me if
> the Norton GoBack programme that comes on the disk is the full, or cut
> down version? (Can't find this information on the Sysmantec site)
>
> Regards,
> John.

I am using it, but haven't installed GoBack. It isn't my impression that
*any* of the programs in this suite are cut back versions. Oh, I should
add that I have the 'Premier' version.

However, I did make the mistake of buying it on Trademe - it may be an
original disk out of an oem box, but it came without the boot disk you
need for a system recover with Ghost 9. A real ****er. Fortunately Ghost
2003 is also on the disk and that one has a tool for making a recovery
boot disk ... so, be careful where you buy.

cheers, -Peter

John

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 03:26:29 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

> In article <1qzzczzoalv69$.1m0moxio2074$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>> Is anyone using Norton SystemWorks 2005? If so, could you tell me if
>> the Norton GoBack programme that comes on the disk is the full, or cut
>> down version? (Can't find this information on the Sysmantec site)
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

> I am using it, but haven't installed GoBack. It isn't my impression that
> *any* of the programs in this suite are cut back versions. Oh, I should
> add that I have the 'Premier' version.
>
> However, I did make the mistake of buying it on Trademe - it may be an
> original disk out of an oem box, but it came without the boot disk you
> need for a system recover with Ghost 9. A real ****er. Fortunately Ghost
> 2003 is also on the disk and that one has a tool for making a recovery
> boot disk ... so, be careful where you buy.

I use TrueImage for image files so the lack of a Ghost boot disk isn't
a major problem for me (I intend to buy from TradeMe).
I'm using GoBack version 3 at the moment and thought that I might
upgrade to version 4, but the retail version of Norton GoBack v4 is
dearer than SystemWorks 2005 (purchased from Trademe) thence my
question re GoBack full version on the CD.

Regards,
John.

Brendan

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:50:05 +1200, John wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 03:26:29 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
>
>> In article <1qzzczzoalv69$.1m0moxio2074$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>>> Is anyone using Norton SystemWorks 2005? If so, could you tell me if
>>> the Norton GoBack programme that comes on the disk is the full, or cut
>>> down version? (Can't find this information on the Sysmantec site)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John.

>> I am using it, but haven't installed GoBack. It isn't my impression that
>> *any* of the programs in this suite are cut back versions. Oh, I should
>> add that I have the 'Premier' version.
>>
>> However, I did make the mistake of buying it on Trademe - it may be an
>> original disk out of an oem box, but it came without the boot disk you
>> need for a system recover with Ghost 9. A real ****er. Fortunately Ghost
>> 2003 is also on the disk and that one has a tool for making a recovery
>> boot disk ... so, be careful where you buy.

> I use TrueImage for image files so the lack of a Ghost boot disk isn't
> a major problem for me (I intend to buy from TradeMe).
> I'm using GoBack version 3 at the moment and thought that I might
> upgrade to version 4, but the retail version of Norton GoBack v4 is
> dearer than SystemWorks 2005 (purchased from Trademe) thence my
> question re GoBack full version on the CD.
>
> Regards,
> John.

May be an ignorant question, but what are the key benefits to goback ?

--

.... Brendan

#99835 +(8800)- [X]

<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

Note: All my comments are copyright 7/07/2005 10:28:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

John

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:50:30 +-1200, Brendan wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:50:05 +-1200, John wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 03:26:29 +-1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
>>
>>> In article <1qzzczzoalv69$.1m0moxio2074$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>>> I am using it, but haven't installed GoBack. It isn't my impression that
>>> *any* of the programs in this suite are cut back versions. Oh, I should
>>> add that I have the 'Premier' version.
>>>
>>> However, I did make the mistake of buying it on Trademe - it may be an
>>> original disk out of an oem box, but it came without the boot disk you
>>> need for a system recover with Ghost 9. A real ****er. Fortunately Ghost
>>> 2003 is also on the disk and that one has a tool for making a recovery
>>> boot disk ... so, be careful where you buy.

>> I use TrueImage for image files so the lack of a Ghost boot disk isn't
>> a major problem for me (I intend to buy from TradeMe).
>> I'm using GoBack version 3 at the moment and thought that I might
>> upgrade to version 4, but the retail version of Norton GoBack v4 is
>> dearer than SystemWorks 2005 (purchased from Trademe) thence my
>> question re GoBack full version on the CD.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

> May be an ignorant question, but what are the key benefits to goback ?

This is from Symantec:

(Symantec+IBk-s Norton GoBack+ISI- 4.0 allows you to easily undo PC problems.
Restore your PC to a healthy state by going back minutes, hours, or
even days (depending on available disk space). Also use Norton GoBack
to restore files that have been deleted or modified, and to try new
software safely).

This from me:
I've been using GoBack for years even before "Roxio" purchased it
(from memory I think the original GoBack was NZ software).
I download and install a lot of software. Have a little play around
and if I don't like, or want what I've just installed it only takes a
couple of minutes to go back to the state before I installed the
software.
I also tend to delete without using the recycle bin and consequently
find that I need the file that I've just deleted, GoBack is great for
doing this.
Over written documents can be found and replaced, another thing I tend
to do on a regular basis (overwrite documents).

Regards,
John.

Tony

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:50:30 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:50:05 +1200, John wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 03:26:29 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
>>
>>> In article <1qzzczzoalv69$.1m0moxio2074$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>>> I am using it, but haven't installed GoBack. It isn't my impression that
>>> *any* of the programs in this suite are cut back versions. Oh, I should
>>> add that I have the 'Premier' version.
>>>
>>> However, I did make the mistake of buying it on Trademe - it may be an
>>> original disk out of an oem box, but it came without the boot disk you
>>> need for a system recover with Ghost 9. A real ****er. Fortunately Ghost
>>> 2003 is also on the disk and that one has a tool for making a recovery
>>> boot disk ... so, be careful where you buy.

>> I use TrueImage for image files so the lack of a Ghost boot disk isn't
>> a major problem for me (I intend to buy from TradeMe).
>> I'm using GoBack version 3 at the moment and thought that I might
>> upgrade to version 4, but the retail version of Norton GoBack v4 is
>> dearer than SystemWorks 2005 (purchased from Trademe) thence my
>> question re GoBack full version on the CD.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

>May be an ignorant question, but what are the key benefits to goback ?

Nothing as XP already has it, (system restore) but I have read stacks of
reports that its very buggy.

John

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:49:33 +1200, Tony wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:50:30 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I use TrueImage for image files so the lack of a Ghost boot disk isn't
>>> a major problem for me (I intend to buy from TradeMe).
>>> I'm using GoBack version 3 at the moment and thought that I might
>>> upgrade to version 4, but the retail version of Norton GoBack v4 is
>>> dearer than SystemWorks 2005 (purchased from Trademe) thence my
>>> question re GoBack full version on the CD.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John.

>>May be an ignorant question, but what are the key benefits to goback ?

> Nothing as XP already has it, (system restore) but I have read stacks of
> reports that its very buggy.

I rest my case

Regards,
John

Brendan

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 03:15:29 +1200, John wrote:

> This is from Symantec:
>
> (Symantec˘s Norton GoBack? 4.0 allows you to easily undo PC problems.
> Restore your PC to a healthy state by going back minutes, hours, or
> even days (depending on available disk space). Also use Norton GoBack
> to restore files that have been deleted or modified, and to try new
> software safely).
>
> This from me:
> I've been using GoBack for years even before "Roxio" purchased it
> (from memory I think the original GoBack was NZ software).
> I download and install a lot of software. Have a little play around
> and if I don't like, or want what I've just installed it only takes a
> couple of minutes to go back to the state before I installed the
> software.
> I also tend to delete without using the recycle bin and consequently
> find that I need the file that I've just deleted, GoBack is great for
> doing this.
> Over written documents can be found and replaced, another thing I tend
> to do on a regular basis (overwrite documents).

Thanks, might have a look myself!

--

.... Brendan

#120296 +(4404)- [X]

<link>once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary,
over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i
clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart
was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not
possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the
server, 404.
<hokage> *cries*, scary....

Note: All my comments are copyright 8/07/2005 5:55:24 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Tony

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:11:34 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:49:33 +1200, Tony wrote:

>>>May be an ignorant question, but what are the key benefits to goback ?

>> Nothing as XP already has it, (system restore) but I have read stacks of
>> reports that its very buggy.

>I rest my case
>
>Regards,
>John

NO it was Goback that is very buggy. and causes more problems that its
worth.

System Restore does work, but I find that if you know what you are doing you
do not need it..