Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD external/internal

DVD external/internal

Goalie

I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

nof
Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

Matthias

Goalie wrote:

> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

You could always get a 5.25" IDE to USB 2 drive enclosure for it...

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-t...ive+enclosures

-- Matthias

SCCC

Matthias wrote:
> Goalie wrote:
>
>> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal.
>> I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
>> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

> You could always get a 5.25" IDE to USB 2 drive enclosure for it...
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-t...ive+enclosures
>
> -- Matthias

USB could be REAL slow, if you have an old PC that doesn't support USB2

Nova

SCCC wrote:
> Matthias wrote:
>
>> Goalie wrote:
>>
>>> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is
>>> internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
>>> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

>> You could always get a 5.25" IDE to USB 2 drive enclosure for it...
>>
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-t...ive+enclosures
>>
>> -- Matthias

> USB could be REAL slow, if you have an old PC that doesn't support USB2

buy a pci usb2 card for $20

thing

Goalie wrote:
> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.
>
> nof
> Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

Buy an external USB2/firewire case.....

regards

thing

Tony

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:43:02 +1200, Goalie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
>can't see any way this can be used otherwise.
>
>nof
>Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

Get a Bigger case of a IDE Controller card..

Use the Controller card for the Hard Drives..

Mark C

Goalie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is
> internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I can't
> see any way this can be used otherwise.

Remove an existing CD drive and replace it with the DVD drive?
(assumes the DVD drive does everything the CD drive did, and that you
have a CD drive)

Mark

steven

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:43:02 +1200, Goalie wrote:

> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

care to enlighten us where you got it from, i would like to know simply
because i prefer to stay away from places that pratice the art of False
Advertising.

> nof
> Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

i prefer the 'press any key to continue' - gets people all the time

--
-------------------------------------
Steven H (.net geek)

Goalie

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:02:02 +1200, steven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:43:02 +1200, Goalie wrote:
>
>> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
>> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

>care to enlighten us where you got it from, i would like to know simply
>because i prefer to stay away from places that pratice the art of False
>Advertising.
>
>> nof
>> Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

>i prefer the 'press any key to continue' - gets people all the time

Well folks found a repair shop to replace ordinary cd slot with the dvd drive in less that 2 hours and charged $33.75.
The shop is the Computer Place at Paraparaumu - www.cando.co.nz they deserve a visit.

Where did I buy the dvd drive? Online TradeMe. It was sold by a person who did not want to join with other sales people
in that area so gave out the minimum about themselves. That is allowed of course and caveat emptor applies. There was no
false advertising there was just a mug at this end.

All's well that ends well and I have learnt a lot in the replies I've received. Buying online has worked for me here and
in NSW. I have all sorts of gizmos and the like here and all have been honest in their dealings.

Thanks everyone, Points noted