Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon offering free upgrades.

Orcon offering free upgrades.

~misfit~

From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.

In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.

What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
upgrading.

<fingers crossed>
--
~misfit~

The Other Guy

~misfit~ wrote:
> From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
> or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.
>
> In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
> the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
> this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
> well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.
>
> What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
> of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
> been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
> nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
> will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
> not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
> least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
> upgrading.
>
> <fingers crossed>

I had a laugh when I read the 'free upgrade' offer. I consider the new
plan a downgrade, even though I don't use more than 10GB at the slower
speed.

When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
_fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
they can get!

The Ohter Guy

Dave - Dave.net.nz

The Other Guy wrote:
> When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
> _fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
> they can get!

wouldn't that depend on each user... hell, I would take 2Mbit with 10GB
cap over 256k unlimitied, simply because most of usage is "bursty", not
"constant speed"

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Bret

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:52:52 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Other Guy wrote:
>> When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
>> _fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
>> they can get!

>wouldn't that depend on each user... hell, I would take 2Mbit with 10GB
>cap over 256k unlimitied, simply because most of usage is "bursty", not
>"constant speed"

I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
"one" Gig cap.
When I need stuff I need it quick.

The Other Guy

Bret wrote:
> I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
> "one" Gig cap.
> When I need stuff I need it quick.

Clearly you're not a high volume user. Neither am I really, but I'd
rather have a steady 256k than 2048k and a pathetic 64k if I do somehow
manage to exceed my cap (Which I could more easily since the speed was
greater).

If you're on P2P all day every day like some people, you get more for
your dollar on a 256k unlimited plan.

It may take a few days, but a higher cap means I don't have to think
about it if I decide to download a DVD image every few months.

The Other Guy

Gordon

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:

> I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
> "one" Gig cap.
> When I need stuff I need it quick.

So you need no much quickly?

Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
around town.

Richard

Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:
>

>>I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
>>"one" Gig cap.
>>When I need stuff I need it quick.

> So you need no much quickly?
>
> Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
> around town.

Sports car would be a fast connection - more like having a V8, and after you
have gone 50k's it drops back to being a V1

~misfit~

Richard wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:
>>

>>> I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
>>> "one" Gig cap.
>>> When I need stuff I need it quick.

>> So you need no much quickly?
>>
>> Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
>> around town.

> Sports car would be a fast connection - more like having a V8, and
> after you have gone 50k's it drops back to being a V1

LOL @ V1!!

As I stated in my first post, (and to contimue your analogy) I don't even go
20k's so am happy with the upgrade. I get those 20k's faster (or will when
my billing cycle comes around).
--
~misfit~

Bret

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:32:14 +1200, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:
>
>> I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
>> "one" Gig cap.
>> When I need stuff I need it quick.

>So you need no much quickly?

Drivers and patches.

>Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
>around town.

I'd like one of those racing trucks thanks

Brendan

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:58:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
> or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.
>
> In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
> the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
> this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
> well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.
>
> What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
> of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
> been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
> nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
> will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
> not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
> least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
> upgrading.
>
> <fingers crossed>

I went to the 2mbit plan with Orcon a couple of months back. I did this
instead of going to another ISP, as at the time complaints were starting to
emerge about the others too (mainly p2p filtering) and it was going to cost
$100 to change (which is a savage rip off).

Recently Orcon upgraded it's connection to telecon (or more correctly,
Telecon got off it's arse and ****ing well did what they are paid for)
which saw pings go down from 200, 300 to 60 odd (In UT2004, a fast action
FPS) to national servers. On the 2mbit plan.

I think you will be alright, IF Orcon keeps it's act togeather.

I have noticed on friend's connections, two of which are with telecom (e.g.
non bitstream) throughput is no better. Ping's are a little better, but
only by say 10 or 20 ms.

Orcon seems to have finally fixed their ****ed news server, and the fix
seems to be sticking.

Also they now claim their free host web server is back up.

And all this was acheived in mere months! They'll be reducing heldesk phone
waiting to mere hours next!

At this rate they will be top of the bunch again around 2035.........

--

.... Brendan

#367896 +(4371)- [X]

<Fashykekes> Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my
uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Note: All my comments are copyright 6/07/2005 1:53:51 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.