Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > One email account, two computers

One email account, two computers

Stephen Williams

Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
the first computer.

Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
not actually synchronize.

I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

Any ideas are welcome

Cheers,
Steve

Richard

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
> account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
> second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
> the first computer.
>
> Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
> email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
> server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
> not actually synchronize.
>
> I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
> I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap web/email
hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

Imap is great how what you read in the web mail is then reflected in your mail
program.

AD.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:51:45 +1200, Stephen Williams wrote:

> I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do
> what I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

Barring someone else coming up with a smart idea, it seems like IMAP is
probably the only realistic way of doing this.

You'd probably need to test out whether your combination of client and
server handle two simultaneous clients properly and how well they update
message status etc. It should work ok in most cases though.

Sillier option (that might not suit): How about using a GMail account?

--
Cheers
Anton

Dave Taylor

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:42ca3336$(E-Mail Removed):

> imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap
> web/email hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that
> does.
>
> Imap is great how what you read in the web mail is then reflected in
> your mail program.

You could also setup an SME box and use that web mail interface.
http://contribs.org/

--
Ciao, Dave

Howard

> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the
same
> email account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a
> person on the second computer will know if a email has been replied
> too (or even read) on the first computer.

I do this between Mozilla on my Windows Box and & Thunderbird on my
Linux Box.

Make a dir shareable, and then point the client at it by going
Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Accounting Settings | Server Settings | Local
Directory | [DriveLetter]:\MozMail

Stephen Williams

"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hksye.12998$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the

> same
>> email account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a
>> person on the second computer will know if a email has been replied
>> too (or even read) on the first computer.

> I do this between Mozilla on my Windows Box and & Thunderbird on my
> Linux Box.
>
> Make a dir shareable, and then point the client at it by going
> Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Accounting Settings | Server Settings | Local
> Directory | [DriveLetter]:\MozMail

Cool, i'll try that using Thunderbird on both boxes first.

Steve

Peter Huebner

In article <42ca2e03$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
> account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
> second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
> the first computer.
>
> Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
> email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
> server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
> not actually synchronize.
>
> I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
> I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.
>
> Any ideas are welcome
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

What I have done in this situation is to set up Mercury32 with pop3
client and imap server and smtp relay server. The pop3 client will
collect the mail from your isp. The imap server will hold it on your
server(machine) and all computers in your network can log into the imap
server and manipulate the mail. Smtp server will field the mail from all
computers on your network and forward them to isp's smtp server.
If you are on dialup rather than continuous conneciton, you can also
download the MerRi daemon for Mercury that will put the pop3 and smtp
relay servers to sleep, wake them up when you are online, and put them
back to sleep when you go offline. Which means the servers for the lan
can stay up without the other parts of mercury causing dialup to start
or creating error messages in the logs ...

There is one known annoyance with this setup and that is the fact that,
for some reason, the Mercury imap server is very slow to react when the
login comes from 127.0.0.1 - I don't think that issue is resolved. It
applies to pegasus mail at least, it may not happen if you use Outlook
or Eudora; just not sure.
I also don't know if Outlook is imap capable; Pegasus and Eudora
certainly are, and i.i.r.c. so was Netscape's email client.

If you are running Win98 there is yet another solution, but you would
have to use Pegasus mail as a client: pmail can access its mail
directory using unc paths \\machine\shared_drive\directory\~user.
And Mercury can distribute mail the same way. Which means all computers
on the network operate on the same files. Used that setup here for
years.
For some weird reason that setup does NOT work with WinXP - the network
often crashes entirely and sometime the remote computer will lock up as
well. Very strange considering how well it worked on Win9x.

-Peter

PAM.

> but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

Slingshot does

PAM.

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:51:45 +1200, "Stephen Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
>account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
>second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
>the first computer.
>
>Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
>email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
>server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
>not actually synchronize.
>
>I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
>I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.
>
>Any ideas are welcome

YES use Imap

Outlook does not properly support IMAP (sent items are not transmitted
back to the server but are stored locally)
You would need to set up a rule to ensure sent items are copied to the
sent folder on the server

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:10:45 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Stephen Williams wrote:
>> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
>> account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
>> second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
>> the first computer.
>>
>> Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
>> email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
>> server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
>> not actually synchronize.
>>
>> I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
>> I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

>imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap web/email
>hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

Clear Net
Godzone Internet Services
others?