Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice needed: L.A.M.P.

Advice needed: L.A.M.P.

A.D.

Hi

Linux Apache mySQL PHP

I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).

I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

Cheers
A.D.

thing

A.D. wrote:
> Hi
>
> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
>
> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
> machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
>
> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
> experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?
>
> Cheers
> A.D.

*nix, well, which ever one you are happy most with. My experience with
BSDs is just about zero, but freeBSD would be what I would look at first
if I was going BSD.

If you are un-familiar with *nix, freebsd looks as good a start as any.
If you are familar with say redhat, go with redhat otherwise you will be
learning a new OS and LAMP. You can then cross-grade to freebsd later
after mastering LAMP...

regards

Thing

thing

thing wrote:
> A.D. wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
>>
>> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
>> machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
>>
>> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
>> experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?
>>
>> Cheers
>> A.D.

> *nix, well, which ever one you are happy most with. My experience with
> BSDs is just about zero, but freeBSD would be what I would look at first
> if I was going BSD.
>
> If you are un-familiar with *nix, freebsd looks as good a start as any.
> If you are familar with say redhat, go with redhat otherwise you will be
> learning a new OS and LAMP. You can then cross-grade to freebsd later
> after mastering LAMP...
>
> regards
>
> Thing

btw.....LAMP, the L is for linux.......

So I guess you are going BAMP......

;]

regards

Thing

AD.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:39:31 +1200, A.D. wrote:

> Hi
>
> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
>
> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
> machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
>
> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from experience
> regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that speed
- only 10X your RAM

I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
during the installation, and just install what you need later.

I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.

--
Cheers
Anton

A.D.

AD. wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:39:31 +1200, A.D. wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>Linux Apache mySQL PHP
>>
>>I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
>>machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
>>
>>I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from experience
>>regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

> 1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that speed
> - only 10X your RAM
>
> I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
> Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
> during the installation, and just install what you need later.
>
> I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.

Sounds like good advice. Cheers.

A.D.

A.D.

thing wrote:
> thing wrote:
>
>> A.D. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
>>>
>>> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a
>>> testing/development machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB
>>> HDD).
>>>
>>> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
>>> experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> A.D.

>> *nix, well, which ever one you are happy most with. My experience with
>> BSDs is just about zero, but freeBSD would be what I would look at
>> first if I was going BSD.
>>
>> If you are un-familiar with *nix, freebsd looks as good a start as
>> any. If you are familar with say redhat, go with redhat otherwise you
>> will be learning a new OS and LAMP. You can then cross-grade to
>> freebsd later after mastering LAMP...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> btw.....LAMP, the L is for linux.......
>
> So I guess you are going BAMP......
>
> ;]
>
> regards
>
> Thing

If I used Debian would I need a Handi-towel?

A.D.

A.D. wrote:
> AD. wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:39:31 +1200, A.D. wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
>>>
>>> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
>>> machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
>>>
>>> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
>>> experience
>>> regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

>> 1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that speed
>> - only 10X your RAM
>>
>> I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
>> Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
>> during the installation, and just install what you need later.
>>
>> I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.
>>

> Sounds like good advice. Cheers.
>
> A.D.

FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try
a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

A.D.

AD.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:27:44 +1200, A.D. wrote:

> FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try a
> W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

The base install of Debian is only 100MB or so from memory. You just have
to ensure you skip the install extra packages step - you even have to
install 'openssh' and 'less' manually if you do that. That would leave
plenty of room your dev apps.

Let us know if you need more help installing it. There are plenty of
Debian users in here.

--
Cheers
Anton

Dave - Dave.net.nz

A.D. wrote:
> FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try
> a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

heh, replace Apache with IIS and it becomes W.I.M.P.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

shannon

A.D. wrote:

> A.D. wrote:
>
>> AD. wrote:

>>> 1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that
>>> speed
>>> - only 10X your RAM
>>>
>>> I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
>>> Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
>>> during the installation, and just install what you need later.
>>>
>>> I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.
>>>

>> Sounds like good advice. Cheers.
>>
>> A.D.

> FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try
> a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.
>
> A.D.

These guys have done their best to make it easy, might be worth giving
it a shot.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

You could also put it on a Debian base install or Damnsmalllinux perhaps.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

Newsforge article

http://programming.newsforge.com/art...04210&from=rss