Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > no FUD, just the Government......

no FUD, just the Government......

thing

"......Recent U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT)
vulnerability metrics reported 250 episodes for Microsoft Windows, 39 of
these having a severity rating of 40 or greater. With Red Hat Linux
there were only 46 episodes, of which only with only 3 scored over 40.
There are thousands of reports that compare the two operating systems
but reports like this by an independent government body, on the relative
number of critical flaws between them, should be given greatest
consideration........."

It also suggests why in China Windows is cheaper......because everyone
is using a pirated copy........lol......

"........The TCO is higher currently for Linux than for Windows, because
"unlike Western countries, the cost of buying operating systems accounts
for a very small portion of the total costs in China, at only 8.3
percent." I believe you can figure out what that means for yourself. The
word starts with a "P", if you are the BSA. So the headline could be:

"TCO Higher for Windows Than for Linux Even When Comparing Linux
with Pirated Windows"..........."

regards

Thing

Bret

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:59:57 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"......Recent U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT)
>vulnerability metrics reported 250 episodes for Microsoft Windows, 39 of
>these having a severity rating of 40 or greater. With Red Hat Linux
>there were only 46 episodes, of which only with only 3 scored over 40.
>There are thousands of reports that compare the two operating systems
>but reports like this by an independent government body, on the relative
>number of critical flaws between them, should be given greatest
>consideration........."
>
>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...05070213203667
>
>It also suggests why in China Windows is cheaper......because everyone
>is using a pirated copy........lol......
>
>"........The TCO is higher currently for Linux than for Windows, because
>"unlike Western countries, the cost of buying operating systems accounts
>for a very small portion of the total costs in China, at only 8.3
>percent." I believe you can figure out what that means for yourself. The
>word starts with a "P", if you are the BSA. So the headline could be:
>
> "TCO Higher for Windows Than for Linux Even When Comparing Linux
>with Pirated Windows"..........."
>
>regards
>
>Thing

That should read
"TCO Higher for Linux Than for Pirated Windows"

shannon

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:26:17 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:59:57 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"......Recent U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT)
>>vulnerability metrics reported 250 episodes for Microsoft Windows, 39 of
>>these having a severity rating of 40 or greater. With Red Hat Linux
>>there were only 46 episodes, of which only with only 3 scored over 40.
>>There are thousands of reports that compare the two operating systems
>>but reports like this by an independent government body, on the relative
>>number of critical flaws between them, should be given greatest
>>consideration........."
>>
>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...05070213203667
>>
>>It also suggests why in China Windows is cheaper......because everyone
>>is using a pirated copy........lol......
>>
>>"........The TCO is higher currently for Linux than for Windows, because
>>"unlike Western countries, the cost of buying operating systems accounts
>>for a very small portion of the total costs in China, at only 8.3
>>percent." I believe you can figure out what that means for yourself. The
>>word starts with a "P", if you are the BSA. So the headline could be:
>>
>> "TCO Higher for Windows Than for Linux Even When Comparing Linux
>>with Pirated Windows"..........."
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> That should read
> "TCO Higher for Linux Than for Pirated Windows"

But how can it be a Total Cost of *OWNERSHIP* if you don't *OWN* a license ?
Its like saying a stolen car has a cheaper total cost of ownership.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

shannon wrote:
>>> "TCO Higher for Windows Than for Linux Even When Comparing Linux
>>>with Pirated Windows"..........."

>>That should read
>>"TCO Higher for Linux Than for Pirated Windows"

> But how can it be a Total Cost of *OWNERSHIP* if you don't *OWN* a license ?
> Its like saying a stolen car has a cheaper total cost of ownership.

thats only true if you are counting purchase cost as being the only cost.

If you are driving a stolen car, it costs you less initially, but you
run the risk of getting jailed etc in the future, and so taking the jail
thing into it, I think i'd rather pay for the car than steal one.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> That should read
>>> "TCO Higher for Linux Than for Pirated Windows"

>> But how can it be a Total Cost of *OWNERSHIP* if you don't *OWN* a
>> license ?
>> Its like saying a stolen car has a cheaper total cost of ownership.
>>

> thats only true if you are counting purchase cost as being the only cost.
>
> If you are driving a stolen car, it costs you less initially, but you
> run the risk of getting jailed etc in the future, and so taking the jail
> thing into it, I think i'd rather pay for the car than steal one.

Though it appears lots do steal software....Ive worked for NZ businesses
where the cloning of MS OSES and MS office versions were common....one
place in Lyall Bay had 30 odd PCs, they had trouble even coming up with
3 Win98 licences (I think 2 were upgrades but windows 3.1 was not in
sight) when I went to do an upgrade.....

So with Linux competing against stolen software whose TCO is way lower....

As a unix admin I have also worked along side NTx admins who quite
readily used broken / forged keys for which ever piece of software they
wanted.....

So until we get some sort of regime in place that hammers pirate users
and makes most users pay the full wack its no wonder few want
linux....its ay easier to il-legally install and use a crack program
than install Linux or Open Office....

regards

Thing

shannon

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:55:30 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>That should read
>>>"TCO Higher for Linux Than for Pirated Windows"

>> But how can it be a Total Cost of *OWNERSHIP* if you don't *OWN* a license ?
>> Its like saying a stolen car has a cheaper total cost of ownership.
>>

> thats only true if you are counting purchase cost as being the only cost.
>
> If you are driving a stolen car, it costs you less initially, but you
> run the risk of getting jailed etc in the future, and so taking the jail
> thing into it, I think i'd rather pay for the car than steal one.

Thats a cost of non-ownership.

Don Hills

In article <42c89f0a$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>So until we get some sort of regime in place that hammers pirate users
>and makes most users pay the full wack its no wonder few want
>linux....its ay easier to il-legally install and use a crack program
>than install Linux or Open Office....

It puts Microsoft in an awkward position - damned if they develop an
effective license control and damned if they don't.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
-- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

FreedomChooser

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:29:30 +1200, thing <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> But how can it be a Total Cost of *OWNERSHIP* if you don't *OWN* a
>>> license ?
>>> Its like saying a stolen car has a cheaper total cost of ownership.
>>>

>> thats only true if you are counting purchase cost as being the only cost.
>>
>> If you are driving a stolen car, it costs you less initially, but you
>> run the risk of getting jailed etc in the future, and so taking the jail
>> thing into it, I think i'd rather pay for the car than steal one.
>>

>Though it appears lots do steal software....Ive worked for NZ businesses
>where the cloning of MS OSES and MS office versions were common....one
>place in Lyall Bay had 30 odd PCs, they had trouble even coming up with
>3 Win98 licences (I think 2 were upgrades but windows 3.1 was not in
>sight) when I went to do an upgrade.....
>
>So with Linux competing against stolen software whose TCO is way lower....
>
>As a unix admin I have also worked along side NTx admins who quite
>readily used broken / forged keys for which ever piece of software they
>wanted.....
>
>So until we get some sort of regime in place that hammers pirate users
>and makes most users pay the full wack its no wonder few want
>linux....its ay easier to il-legally install and use a crack program
>than install Linux or Open Office....

Oh puleeze
You expect us to believe now that the great Linux cant even compete
with Windows on the same pricing level
HA HA HA

Dave - Dave.net.nz

FreedomChooser wrote:
>>So until we get some sort of regime in place that hammers pirate users
>>and makes most users pay the full wack its no wonder few want
>>linux....its ay easier to il-legally install and use a crack program
>>than install Linux or Open Office....

> Oh puleeze
> You expect us to believe now that the great Linux cant even compete
> with Windows on the same pricing level
> HA HA HA

Ummm, I'll stand up and say yes on this one... it has one thing that
Linux doesn't, the fact that it is windows, and that "everyone else uses
it", so the rest of the public/sheep like to be the same.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>FreedomChooser wrote:
>>>So until we get some sort of regime in place that hammers pirate users
>>>and makes most users pay the full wack its no wonder few want
>>>linux....its ay easier to il-legally install and use a crack program
>>>than install Linux or Open Office....

>> Oh puleeze
>> You expect us to believe now that the great Linux cant even compete
>> with Windows on the same pricing level
>> HA HA HA

>Ummm, I'll stand up and say yes on this one... it has one thing that
>Linux doesn't, the fact that it is windows, and that "everyone else uses
>it", so the rest of the public/sheep like to be the same.

Quite. I will go out on one of those tree apendages and say that most users
think that is all you can get. The concept of the possibility of
running something else isn't even in their thought processes as a
possibility.

Bruce

- George Bernard Shaw
- Ambrose Bierce