Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Agent Forte users

Agent Forte users

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Curious and Curiouser

I have some 20 folders for incoming mail.

A three of these folders have recently started deleting the messages I
have saved. I'm left with status icon and number of lines in the
message and the date, but the message header and text itself has
vanished.

Even messages that I've marked to keep have been deleted.

My usual practice is to identify the messages I'm happy to delete and
delete them permanently with Shft+Del.

I back up by Agent files to RW-CD. This does not appear to be
the culprit as most of the folders are unaffected.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this phenomenon ?

Tony

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:21:43 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

>Curious and Curiouser
>
>I have some 20 folders for incoming mail.
>
>A three of these folders have recently started deleting the messages I
>have saved. I'm left with status icon and number of lines in the
>message and the date, but the message header and text itself has
>vanished.
>
> Even messages that I've marked to keep have been deleted.
>
>My usual practice is to identify the messages I'm happy to delete and
>delete them permanently with Shft+Del.
>
> I back up by Agent files to RW-CD. This does not appear to be
>the culprit as most of the folders are unaffected.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason for this phenomenon ?

Incoming mail does not Auto delete, but the news groups can.

Please post this in the Agent newgroup..

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:21:43 +1200, in message
*<(E-Mail Removed)>, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> Curious and Curiouser
>
> I have some 20 folders for incoming mail.
>
> A three of these folders have recently started deleting the messages I
> have saved. I'm left with status icon and number of lines in the
> message and the date, but the message header and text itself has
> vanished.

Q: Does this happen to all email messages in the one folder (apart
from new email messages which you have just received), or does
it happen to some email messages and not to others?

Possible cause:
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Each of your mail folders in Agent corresponds to two files
00??????.DAT and 00??????.IDX in your Agent\Data directory.

The status, number of lines, and date are stored in the *.IDX file.
The subject, author, and full message body are stored in the *.DAT file.

So what you describe looks like what would happen if the *.DAT file
was deleted or corrupted, but the *.IDX file remained unaffected.

One way in which this can happen is if your virus scanner finds
a virus in one of the emails in the *.DAT file, and the virus
scanner tries to clean or quarantine the *.DAT file.

> Even messages that I've marked to keep have been deleted.

This is not Agent deciding that each individual message needs purging
or deleting.

This is most likely something corrupting or deleting the whole
00??????.DAT file.

> My usual practice is to identify the messages I'm happy to delete and
> delete them permanently with Shft+Del.
>
> I back up by Agent files to RW-CD. This does not appear to be
> the culprit as most of the folders are unaffected.

Are you doing the backup while Agent is running?

> Can anyone suggest a reason for this phenomenon ?

See above.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Politics is the art of getting power and
privilege without possessing merit.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Tks for both messages:

Clearly a .DAT file problem.

Have searched all .Dat and .IDX files for virus - none reported.

As suggested: reporting to Agent newsgroup.

link to download forte free agent 3.3 ( freeware ) news reader agent jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 1 07-27-2007 12:23 AM
Re: forte agent 1.93 Computer Support 4 07-23-2003 04:22 PM
Re: forte agent 1.93 Brenadier Jehosephat Computer Support 4 07-23-2003 07:42 AM
Re: forte agent 1.93 Meat Plow Computer Support 0 07-21-2003 06:29 PM
Re: forte agent 1.93 Ron Martell Computer Support 1 07-21-2003 05:32 PM

Advertisments