Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NED (Nano-Emissive Display) Monitor

NED (Nano-Emissive Display) Monitor

GraB

Repost from alt.video.dvd.tech:

I want my new NED computer monitor and NED-HDTV (Ned Head TV).

Dubbed "nano emissive display" (NED), the new technology
developed by Motorola, Inc. enables manufacturers to design
large flat panel displays that exceed the image quality
characteristics of plasma and LCD screens at a lower cost.
Motorola currently is in discussions with electronics
manufacturers in Europe and Asia to license the technology for
commercialization.

NED technology is potentially the cheapest and best alternative
to CRT and LCD screens and is easily scalable. The technology
could be used by ad agencies erecting monolithic 100-inch
roadside billboards. With technology like this being available,
who in their right mind would purchase a plasma display.

Converting a liquid crystal display, or LCD, production facility
to NED manufacturing would require about half its equipment to
be replaced, while a plasma display facility would require about
a quarter to be replaced. Hopefully, plasma manufacturers will
quickly make the conversion to the NED technology.

Of course, until consumers and manufacturers see a nano-emissive
display running the latest Hollywood blockbuster or are able to
surf the Web on a 60-inch prototype, the carbon nanotube
alternative will remain an attractive experiment.

http://www.techreview.com/articles/0...405brandon.1.a
sp

http://news.cnet.co.uk/monitors/0,39...9189021,00.htm

Jerry

GraB wrote:

> NED technology is potentially the cheapest and best alternative
> to CRT and LCD screens and is easily scalable. The technology
> could be used by ad agencies erecting monolithic 100-inch
> roadside billboards. With technology like this being available,
> who in their right mind would purchase a plasma display.

100 inches is 2 and a half meters. Just a bit shy of a monolithic
roadside billboard I'd think. Might be fine for a big living room.