Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL v ADSL2

ADSL v ADSL2

Rider

OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and one
was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a plain old
vanilla ADSL modem?

Curious.

Rider

Rider

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vP3xe.11748$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
>
> Curious.
>
> Rider

Ok .... nevermind.

Harry

Rider wrote:

> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
>
> Curious.

ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
Google is your friend.

H.O.G

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>Rider wrote:
>
>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
>>
>> Curious.

>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
>Google is your friend.

Correction:

ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
a year or two.

Mercury

correction, ADSL2+ is.
If you are considering getting an ADSL2+ modem thingy, hold off until
telecom does its thing, and the round 1 flakey versions are superceded. IE
avoid getting a reincarnation of the NI200 or NI500.

There is an article on it in NZ PC World this month.

"H.O.G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)>
> spoke these fine words:
>
>>Rider wrote:
>>
>>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
>>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
>>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
>>>
>>> Curious.

>>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
>>Google is your friend.

> Correction:
>
> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.
>
> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
> a year or two.

Harry

H.O.G wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)>
> spoke these fine words:
>
>>Rider wrote:
>>
>>> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and
>>> one was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a
>>> plain old vanilla ADSL modem?
>>>
>>> Curious.

>>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
>>Google is your friend.

> Correction:
>
> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

Sorry, but that is not a valid correction.
ADSL2 is not available in NZ.

> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
> a year or two.

ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
next year if their track record is anything to go by.
And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.

If you are in certain areas in a main center then perhaps it is
better to buy an ADSL2 modem now.
Personally I wouldn't buy a version 1.0 of any ADSL2 modem.
I would wait until the technology matures a bit more anyhow.

Mercury

I suggest you read the NZ PC World article.

Certainly they could have it wrong, or telecom could change its plan, but
there will be according to the article an ADSL2+ rollout not ADSL2, so
getting an ADSL2 modem is likely to not be the best of investments.

Your point about main centers is no doubt 100% true. For some reason I would
expect those that least need it will get the choice first IE big
corporations that use leassed links and have no need of DSL in any form,
those with the choice of vendors and connection types (which the rest of us
are "subsidising") along with free to air wireless.

Oddly I would expect that those that have no DSL connection currently won't
get it first, although if really lucky a second hand dslam may get installed
just out of reach of these communities to be useless. But then telecom may
get out a bulldozer and run over those old dslams to make sure the
competition does not pick them up cheap and do the nasty.

Hmmmm. Not worth waiting for.

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0y7xe.11838$(E-Mail Removed)...
> H.O.G wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:30:55 +1200, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> spoke these fine words:

>>>ADSL2 is much faster than ADSL.
>>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
>>>Google is your friend.

>> Correction:
>>
>> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

> Sorry, but that is not a valid correction.
> ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
>

>> You're best to buy an ADSL2 modem now, so you wont have to upgrade in
>> a year or two.

> ADSL2 will not be available in all areas immediately.
> Telecom have promised later this year, so that probably means later
> next year if their track record is anything to go by.
> And it will only be on selected exchanges to start with anyhow.
>
> If you are in certain areas in a main center then perhaps it is
> better to buy an ADSL2 modem now.
> Personally I wouldn't buy a version 1.0 of any ADSL2 modem.
> I would wait until the technology matures a bit more anyhow.

Gordon

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:05:36 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

>>ADSL2 is not available in NZ.
>>Google is your friend.

> Correction:
>
> ADSL2 is about to be available in NZ.

Correction: the original statement is correct, for now ;-0

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Rider wrote:
> OK, whats the difference? I was looking at some modems from Linksys and one
> was named ADSL2. IS there something significantly different from a plain old
> vanilla ADSL modem?

ADSL2 is a bit faster than normal ADSL, and can extend the distance
at which you get reasonable speed from your exchange. ADSL2+ is the
next step up again, with reputed data rates over double that of
both ADSL and ADSL2, but only close to the exchange according to a
couple of first reports I've read in PC mags...

Your local telephone exchange needs to be ADSL2/2+ capable, but none
are in NZ yet. There are whispers about it in the near future. Telstra
here in Oz have already enabled some exchanges, so expect to see real
users comment on the speed quite soon...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Richard

Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Your local telephone exchange needs to be ADSL2/2+ capable, but none
> are in NZ yet. There are whispers about it in the near future. Telstra
> here in Oz have already enabled some exchanges, so expect to see real
> users comment on the speed quite soon...

However when the achievable rates are crippled by the telco operating the gear,
who gives a **** if it technically can sync up at 20 meg/2 meg when its only set
to get 128k up.