Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle

Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle

Rob J

http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-...id=fh%3Ben-us%
3Blifecycle

Product Lifecycle Details
Length of Support:

Microsoft will offer a minimum of 10 years support (5 years of Mainstream
support and 5 years of Extended) for Business and Developer products.

Microsoft will offer a minimum of 5 years of Mainstream support for
Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia products, and the Microsoft Business
Solutions products.

Microsoft will offer a minimum of 3 years of Mainstream support for
products that are released annually, for example, Money, Encarta, Picture
It!, and Streets & Trips.

Mainstream support includes:

* Incident support (no-charge incident support, paid incident
support, support charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims)
* Security update support
* The ability to request non-security hotfixes

Extended support includes:

* Paid support
* Security update support at no additional cost
* Non-security related hotfix support requires a separate Extended
Hotfix Support contract to be purchased. Per-fix fees also apply.
* Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design
changes, or new features during the Extended support phase.
* Extended support is not available for Consumer, Hardware,
Multimedia, and Business Solutions.

Self-help online support is available for a minimum of 10 years after the
product is released. By using Microsoft=3Fs online Knowledge Base articles,
FAQs, troubleshooting tools, and other resources, many customers can
quickly resolve their issues without contacting Microsoft directly.

Visit the Select A Product page to find the support timelines for your
particular product.
Service Pack Policy Details

As part of the effort to continually improve Microsoft software, updates
and fixes are created and released for recognized issues. Regularly, many
of these fixes are combined into a single package (called a service pack)
which is made available for installation. Service packs are cumulative,
meaning that each new service pack contains all the fixes that are
included with previous service packs and any new fixes. This is done so
that you do not have to install an earlier version of a service pack
before you install the latest version. A Security Rollup Package (SRP)
provides a cumulative rollup of security updates that have been offered
since the last SRP.

Visit the Supported Service Pack page to find the support timelines for
your particular product=3Fs service pack.

Service Pack Support Policy

* When a service pack is released, Microsoft will provide 12 months
of support for the previous service pack.
* Support may be extended to 24 months for those service packs where
Microsoft believes customers will need additional time for testing and
deployment.
* Microsoft will announce that support for a previous service pack is
extended when the new service pack is released.
* When support for a product ends, support of the service packs for
that product will also end. The product=3Fs support lifecycle supersedes
the service pack support policy.

This support policy permits customers to receive existing hotfixes or
request new hotfixes for the supported service packs during the
mainstream phase.

Service packs are not automatically modified to include hotfixes
developed after the service pack=3Fs initial release date. If you want an
older service pack to be modified to include hotfixes developed after the
service pack has released, then contact Microsoft and request the
modification.

Security updates released with bulletins from the Microsoft Security
Response Center will be reviewed and built for the immediately preceding
service pack whenever commercially possible.

Microsoft strongly recommends that customers evaluate and install current
service packs in a timely manner to make sure systems are up-to-date with
the most recent security software. Service packs are available on the
Service Packs for Microsoft Products Web site.
Security Update Details
At Microsoft, we are committed to providing secure products. Our long-
term goal is to remove security vulnerabilities from all our products
before they are released. This is a key element of our vision =3F to
realize the dream of Trustworthy Computing. While we strive to remove
vulnerabilities during development, software vulnerabilities remain a
fact of life today and we must be prepared to respond when they are
discovered.

Security Update Policy
Microsoft will provide security update support for a minimum of 10 years
(through the Extended support phase) for Business and Developer products.

Microsoft will provide security update support through the Mainstream
support phase for Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia, and Business Solution
products.

* Security updates will be available from Windows Update during the
mainstream support phase, and the first 2 years of Extended support (if
available).
* Security updates will be available from the Microsoft Download
Center during the final three years of the extended support period (if
available). If Microsoft suspects that a security update may help prevent
a significant threat, the update may be available fromWindows Update.
* Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product releases,
security updates, and service packs to remain as secure as possible.
Older products, such as Windows NT 4.0, may not meet today=3Fs more
demanding security requirements. It may not be possible for Microsoft to
provide security updates for older products.

Visit the Microsoft Security and Privacy Web site for information about
Microsoft privacy policies and the latest security bulletins, virus
alerts, and security downloads.

Peter

Rob J wrote:
<snip>

Microsoft must be getting desperate, they're resorting to spam, now.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 30 Jun 2005
19:28:30 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Rob J wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Microsoft must be getting desperate, they're resorting to spam, now.

No, you're desperate, to label an obvious quotation from a Microsoft web
page as spam.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 30 Jun 2005
>19:28:30 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> Rob J wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Microsoft must be getting desperate, they're resorting to spam, now.

>No, you're desperate, to label an obvious quotation from a Microsoft web
>page as spam.

Unsolicited commercial promotion => spam.

Rob J

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:47:06 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Thu, 30 Jun 2005
>>19:28:30 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>>> Rob J wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Microsoft must be getting desperate, they're resorting to spam, now.

>>No, you're desperate, to label an obvious quotation from a Microsoft web
>>page as spam.

>Unsolicited commercial promotion => spam.

Only when posted by the commercial entity in question.

Quoting from a commercial website is not spam.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>>Microsoft must be getting desperate, they're resorting to spam, now.

>>No, you're desperate, to label an obvious quotation from a Microsoft web
>>page as spam.

> Unsolicited commercial promotion => spam.

so if I quote something from a commercial site, then I am spamming...
ahh, ok then.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.