Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Books fer lernin

Books fer lernin

slacker@slacker.weasel.is-a-geek.net

Hey all,
Im trying to find a book on php
PHP cookbook seems the best option, but its like 63 dollars + 5 bucks p&p
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_in...cts_id=1457754

its damn cheap on amazon, but I dont have an account blah blah
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...228719-8595000
http://tinyurl.com/7rvtm

and its wickedly expensive at whitcoulls 141 + postage
http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/featured...kid=1565926811
http://tinyurl.com/csu95

is there an option I have missed?
is there a better book?
am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself?
TIA

--
er.. im on slrn.. dont hassle me for not having a sig file maaaaaaan

PAM.

<(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message

> is there an option I have missed?
> is there a better book?
> am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself?
> TIA

Bummer. I had online access to Books24x7 (.com) which expired in May. If you
had mentioned it earlier I could have given you the password to go in there
and download all the web pages and create your own book for free.

I never really used it.

Go for cheapie. Amazon or try trademe. Hmmm.

PAM.

AD.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:53:47 +0000, slacker wrote:

> Hey all,
> Im trying to find a book on php

What kind of book on php? Reference? Tutorial? What level are you?

> PHP cookbook seems the best option

The O'Reilly cookbooks are best for people that know a bit about the
subject already and are looking for small worked examples of either cool
tricks or best practice type recipies.

Good for intermediate/advanced users, but not so good for learning from
scratch.

> , but its like 63 dollars + 5 bucks p&p
> http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_in...cts_id=1457754

That's pretty cheap for a locally sourced computer book.

> its damn cheap on amazon, but I dont have an account blah blah
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...228719-8595000
> http://tinyurl.com/7rvtm

That will probably still be about $50 depending on how slow you want it.

> and its wickedly expensive at whitcoulls 141 + postage
> http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/featured...kid=1565926811
> http://tinyurl.com/csu95

Yeah Whitcoulls sucks for computer books. It would probably cost $85-99
at Dymocks.

> is there an option I have missed?
> is there a better book?

Depends what you are looking for. There are lots of PHP books out there.

> am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself? TIA

Doubtful, just buy a book (or two). You'll still be referring to the web
site anyway

If you already know some PHP, you can download this book

PHP 5 Power Programming

http://www.phptr.com/title/013147149X

as a PDF for free legally here:

http://www.phptr.com/content/images/...7149X_book.pdf

But its not really suitable for beginners.

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:53:47 +0000, slacker wrote:

> PHP cookbook seems the best option

Oh yeah, it is 3 yrs old now. You might want something a little more up to
date.

--
Cheers
Anton

Shane

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:11:28 +1200, PAM. wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
>
>> is there an option I have missed?
>> is there a better book?
>> am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself?
>> TIA
>>

> Bummer. I had online access to Books24x7 (.com) which expired in May. If you
> had mentioned it earlier I could have given you the password to go in there
> and download all the web pages and create your own book for free.
>
> I never really used it.
>
> Go for cheapie. Amazon or try trademe. Hmmm.
>
> PAM.

I downloaded the manual from php.net at work.. all 1.8 MB
(I think)
I set up a print preview so I would know how many pages to print..
and the winner is......?

I stopped after 2300

Shane

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:21:46 +1200, AD. wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:53:47 +0000, slacker wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>> Im trying to find a book on php

> What kind of book on php? Reference? Tutorial? What level are you?
>
>> PHP cookbook seems the best option

> The O'Reilly cookbooks are best for people that know a bit about the
> subject already and are looking for small worked examples of either cool
> tricks or best practice type recipies.
>
> Good for intermediate/advanced users, but not so good for learning from
> scratch.
>
>> , but its like 63 dollars + 5 bucks p&p
>> http://www.fishpond.co.nz/product_in...cts_id=1457754

> That's pretty cheap for a locally sourced computer book.
>

>> its damn cheap on amazon, but I dont have an account blah blah
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...228719-8595000
>> http://tinyurl.com/7rvtm

> That will probably still be about $50 depending on how slow you want it.
>

>> and its wickedly expensive at whitcoulls 141 + postage
>> http://www.whitcoulls.co.nz/featured...kid=1565926811
>> http://tinyurl.com/csu95

> Yeah Whitcoulls sucks for computer books. It would probably cost $85-99
> at Dymocks.
>
>> is there an option I have missed?
>> is there a better book?

> Depends what you are looking for. There are lots of PHP books out there.
>
>> am I better off downloading it all off php.net and printing it myself? TIA
>>

> Doubtful, just buy a book (or two). You'll still be referring to the web
> site anyway
>
> If you already know some PHP, you can download this book
>
> PHP 5 Power Programming
>
> http://www.phptr.com/title/013147149X
>
> as a PDF for free legally here:
>
> http://www.phptr.com/content/images/...7149X_book.pdf
>
> But its not really suitable for beginners.

Im going to give it a look over (its going to cost me a printer cartridge)
as to my level.....?
I never know my level :'(
I think beg -> int.
ah well... if Im in over my head.. I have nz.comp to beg for mercy/help

AD.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:50:05 +1200, Shane wrote:

> Im going to give it a look over (its going to cost me a printer cartridge)
> as to my level.....?
> I never know my level :'(
> I think beg -> int.
> ah well... if Im in over my head.. I have nz.comp to beg for mercy/help

Yeah I think that book will be over your head to begin with. It's mostly
all about OO stuff like design patterns etc. Give it a look over before
printing it out

Have you seen these?

A Programmer's Introduction to PHP 4.0:

http://www.apress.com/free/

http://www.apress.com/book/supplemen...l?bID=3&sID=10

And this one:

http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/

And these have PDF links:

http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47355.html
http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47644.html

Does slacker = Shane?

If so, you're in Tauranga aren't you?

We've got an older early PHP4 (from 1999) book here that you'd be welcome
to borrow if in Wellington. I say that because we occasionally might want
to borrow it back at short notice

The other links would probably be enough to get you started. Don't bother
printing out the php.net stuff - It's mostly just reference material. That
stuff is best left online, it's the tutorial/background type stuff that
you want to read offline.

--
Cheers
Anton

Shane

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:22:18 +1200, AD. wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:50:05 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
>> Im going to give it a look over (its going to cost me a printer cartridge)
>> as to my level.....?
>> I never know my level :'(
>> I think beg -> int.
>> ah well... if Im in over my head.. I have nz.comp to beg for mercy/help
>>

> Yeah I think that book will be over your head to begin with. It's mostly
> all about OO stuff like design patterns etc. Give it a look over before
> printing it out
>
> Have you seen these?
>
> A Programmer's Introduction to PHP 4.0:
>
> http://www.apress.com/free/
>
> http://www.apress.com/book/supplemen...l?bID=3&sID=10
>

> And this one:
>
> http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/
>
> And these have PDF links:
>
> http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47355.html
> http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/47644.html
>

> Does slacker = Shane?

ya.. was ssh into my home box and using slrn, it used my account name oon
my machine for naming

> If so, you're in Tauranga aren't you?

yup

> We've got an older early PHP4 (from 1999) book here that you'd be
> welcome to borrow if in Wellington. I say that because we occasionally
> might want to borrow it back at short notice

Awesome, thanks for the offer, but the logistics might be against us,
that and Im after a keeper

> The other links would probably be enough to get you started. Don't
> bother printing out the php.net stuff - It's mostly just reference
> material. That stuff is best left online, it's the tutorial/background
> type stuff that you want to read offline.

Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net wrote:

>Im trying to find a book on php

Do you really need a book to learn PHP? I just kept
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/> open in a browser window for ready
reference, and that was it. PHP isn't a complicated language, after all.

Shane

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:12:14 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
> (E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net wrote:
>
>>Im trying to find a book on php

> Do you really need a book to learn PHP? I just kept
> <http://www.php.net/manual/en/> open in a browser window for ready
> reference, and that was it. PHP isn't a complicated language, after all.

Yeah I had a look over that site, call me old fashioned but for some
reason dead trees are what Im looking for,
having said that, I spent most of today at work, when I wasnt destroying
old HDD's, reading one of the sites Anton had posted, and I found it (as
can be expected) I'm finding it very much a small jump from PERL.
I have previously tried to bang my head against the wall with php.net's
manual, but its a bit cryptic.
And the reading back of some of my posts makes me wonder htf I manage to
get anything into my skull

Free domain name virtualpcgeek.com -- you pay x-fer fees G. Morgan Computer Support 1 01-01-2011 02:28 PM
Sumtin fer Richie... §ñühw¤£f Computer Support 0 11-11-2009 09:59 PM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
OT: Two-fer! =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 4 07-22-2004 06:43 PM

Advertisments