Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free News server

Free News server

peter

Hi

Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont have a
news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.

Does any one know of a News Server I can use..

Cheers Peter

Dave - Dave.net.nz

peter wrote:
> Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont have a
> news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.

> Does any one know of a News Server I can use..

if just for the nz groups, then I have one... it's offered with no
warranty, no guaranty, it is just there...

fairground.synaptic.net.nz
it should be readable for all, but you'll need an account to post(from
memory)

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

peter

THx Dave
I got on straight away....I really only want it for nz.comp

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> peter wrote:
>> Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont
>> have a news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.

>> Does any one know of a News Server I can use..

> if just for the nz groups, then I have one... it's offered with no
> warranty, no guaranty, it is just there...
>
> fairground.synaptic.net.nz
> it should be readable for all, but you'll need an account to post(from
> memory)
>

> --
> http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
> http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services

Dave - Dave.net.nz

peter wrote:
> THx Dave
> I got on straight away....I really only want it for nz.comp

ok then.
I will mention that it was down for the last week or so(did you miss
me?), my ****up, and no time to fix it(works been nuts, and I pay for
the colo of this box, and nnt is not technically meant to be running on
it), but still, worth noting.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

peter

Is that your news server Dave. If so I see that you must have Hamster. I
really want to know how to set up and use Hamster. And would love some
pointers...

peter wrote:
> Is that your news server Dave. If so I see that you must have Hamster. I
> really want to know how to set up and use Hamster. And would love some
> pointers...

Hamster it is, I can zip up my install(all config is in text files) and
email it to you if you want... I'm a tad busy at work at the moment, but
if you use MSN, add dave@ the top domain in my sig.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Tony

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:11:32 +1200, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Ive tried really hard. But cant find One. IM with woosh and they dont have a
>news server. And the one IM using has just gone commercial.
>
>Does any one know of a News Server I can use..
>

>Cheers Peter

Try this newsgroup

alt.free.newsservers

peter

Thanks Dave

I already have Hamster. I just havent seen it working on the net before. As
I am a computer tutor I want to set up hamster on my home machine and create
news groups that my students can use. I know I will need a permanet IP
address and all that. But I cant for the life of me figure out how to get
Hamster to run on my computer and then go to the news group I have created
at a remote computr (the one at wk).. I would just love to know how to do
that...NO rush though..

And I know you have to be busy.. Im just happy seeing that someone has done
it with Hamster already...Oh What version of Hamster do you have?

THX in advance Dave

peter wrote:
> I already have Hamster. I just havent seen it working on the net before. As
> I am a computer tutor I want to set up hamster on my home machine and create
> news groups that my students can use. I know I will need a permanet IP
> address and all that. But I cant for the life of me figure out how to get
> Hamster to run on my computer and then go to the news group I have created
> at a remote computr (the one at wk).. I would just love to know how to do
> that...NO rush though..

ok, well, it has two forms of lockout, ones IP based...(config, local
servers, bottom right, edit IPaccess.hst).

You can add 0.0.0.0(all IPs) to the list, and everyone can access the
server.

and one user based(config, accounts and passwords).
if you make a user nntpdefault with the password nntpdefault, it will
create an account with anon access.

> And I know you have to be busy.. Im just happy seeing that someone has done
> it with Hamster already...Oh What version of Hamster do you have?

ummm, "Classic Hamster V2.0.0.1"
Be aware that there are two main versions, "Hamster Classic", and
"Hamster Playground", both are opensource, and both still being
developed, but each have their +s and -s.
Checkout the hamster.* groups, I carry them... I ask some dumb
questions, but this is more of a learning process and an "I needed nntp
access from multiple locations" thing for me than anything else.

> THX in advance Dave

no worries.

--

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> ok, well, it has two forms of lockout, ones IP based...(config, local
> servers, bottom right, edit IPaccess.hst).
>
> You can add 0.0.0.0(all IPs) to the list, and everyone can access the
> server.

Use this with caution, you usually don't want anyone accessing your
server... you can also use IPsec to filter traffic if you want, or some
other form of blocking if you so desire so that before it even gets to
the nntp(or pop3/smtp/imap) server, it has to pass those filters too.

> and one user based(config, accounts and passwords).
> if you make a user nntpdefault with the password nntpdefault, it will
> create an account with anon access.

Also be cautios with this one... it can make you a spam gateway if
you're not careful.

>> And I know you have to be busy.. Im just happy seeing that someone has
>> done it with Hamster already...Oh What version of Hamster do you have?

> ummm, "Classic Hamster V2.0.0.1"
> Be aware that there are two main versions, "Hamster Classic", and
> "Hamster Playground", both are opensource, and both still being
> developed, but each have their +s and -s.
> Checkout the hamster.* groups, I carry them... I ask some dumb
> questions, but this is more of a learning process and an "I needed nntp
> access from multiple locations" thing for me than anything else.

personally I prefer classic.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.