Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mapping A Drive Over the Internet?

Mapping A Drive Over the Internet?

curi us

At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.

Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
PC from home?

Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
have it outside.

TIA

DaveG

curi us wrote:
> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
>
> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
> PC from home?
>
> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
> buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
> have it outside.
>
> TIA

http://www.openvpn.net

OpenVPN has both a windows and linux version, is very configurable and
works well.

Dave

JC

In article <Ibmwe.11069$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
>
> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
> PC from home?
>
> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
> buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
> have it outside.
>
> TIA

Maybe this?
https://secure.logmein.com/

Richard

curi us wrote:
> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
>
> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
> PC from home?
>
> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
> buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
> have it outside.

XP can accept a single incoming connection, add a new connection in the network
control panel.

You will still need the appropriate entries on the firewall to allow the GRE
packets to the machine thats accepting connections, and there are added hastles
if you have nat there too.

Mauricio Freitas

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <Ibmwe.11069$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
>> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need
>> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
>> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are
>> not.
>>
>> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
>> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on
>> that
>> PC from home?
>>

> Maybe this?
> https://secure.logmein.com/

Logmein.com is nice, and free - except that file transfer is part of Premium
services, last time I looked into it.

I am using GoToMyPC for remote control, but for File Access (and more) I am
using LapLink Everywhere. Check my review for an idea:

Everything I show in the Pocket PC actually works even better on a standard
PC or Mac.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

Shane

> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
> buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
> have it outside.
>
> TIA

do the VNC apps not fit the bill for this job?
theres a thread here from a week or three back on the comparisons of them

Allistar

curi us wrote:

> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need
> to be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are
> not.
>
> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on
> that PC from home?
>
> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I
> could buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be
> allowed to have it outside.
>
> TIA

What about ssh?

Allistar.

Nathan Mercer

curi us wrote:
> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
>
> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
> PC from home?

Its built into your Windows XP platform already, it can allow incoming
connections

Overview here
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...s_clients.mspx
with detailed instructions of how to turn it on here
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ng_access.mspx

> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
> buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
> have it outside.
>
> TIA

Bob McLellan

Smoothwall

curi us wrote:
> At work we have a peer to peer WinXP network protected by a hardware
> firewall. I want to be able to work from home but to do this I would need to
> be able to map a drive over the internet on a PC within the office.
> If we were running Windows Server I could use VPN. But of course we are not.
>
> Is there some freeware (other than a Linux solution) I could run in the
> office to accept a VPN connection or somehow allow me to map a drive on that
> PC from home?
>
> Failing that, is their such a thing as a "cheap" hardware VPN device I could
> buy and put in the office inside the firewall. I would not be allowed to
> have it outside.
>
> TIA

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What about ssh?

I think stunnel seems to be the one people use to set up arbitrary
encrypted TCP tunnels <http://www.stunnel.org/>.