Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Question about DSL connections by Telecom at your home

Question about DSL connections by Telecom at your home

Craig

We are ready to leave dial-up behind and get a 2 Mbps DSL connection
at home (not Xtra). I wonder if someone could answer for me the
following questions regarding the Telecom connection aspects...

1. Telecom will charge a standard $248 to visit our home to install
and connect a splitter for the DSL connection. Is this something I
could do myself - can I buy the splitter and install it next to the
PC? - I have previously added extra phone extensions around the house
so I have no difficulty with installing cables and jackpoints. $248
does seems alot to pay, or does the technician do more - does he need
to climb up the telephone pole, too, to make the connection? I know
where the phone wire enters our house - into a junction box on the
outside wall. Are there other companies, other than Telecom, who
would do it more cheaply? (we are in Auckland).

2. We already have seven phones around the house (as per my
actions mentioned above!) so if I go down the "self-install" route I
would need to spend about $70 on filters for the existing phones. Will
this impact on the DSL speed? Does option 1 (above) give a better
speed? I read that the $248 connection and wiring visit should be
considered if there are five or more phones in the house, so maybe we
have too many phones and have to get a splitter installed anyway ??
Can anyone advise?

Regards, Craig

Matty F

Craig wrote:

> We are ready to leave dial-up behind and get a 2 Mbps DSL connection
> at home (not Xtra). I wonder if someone could answer for me the
> following questions regarding the Telecom connection aspects...
>
> 1. Telecom will charge a standard $248 to visit our home to install
> and connect a splitter for the DSL connection. Is this something I
> could do myself - can I buy the splitter and install it next to the
> PC? - I have previously added extra phone extensions around the house
> so I have no difficulty with installing cables and jackpoints. $248
> does seems alot to pay, or does the technician do more - does he need
> to climb up the telephone pole, too, to make the connection? I know
> where the phone wire enters our house - into a junction box on the
> outside wall. Are there other companies, other than Telecom, who
> would do it more cheaply? (we are in Auckland).
>
> 2. We already have seven phones around the house (as per my
> actions mentioned above!) so if I go down the "self-install" route I
> would need to spend about $70 on filters for the existing phones. Will
> this impact on the DSL speed? Does option 1 (above) give a better
> speed? I read that the $248 connection and wiring visit should be
> considered if there are five or more phones in the house, so maybe we
> have too many phones and have to get a splitter installed anyway ??

The cheapest way would be to put a filter between your master socket and
the wires to other phone sockets, but leave an unfiltered wire to your
computer where you have a splitter and another filter for a phone there.
The filters have the usual phone plugs and sockets attached.
I managed to use just the two filters that were free with the xtra pack.
You can use as many ordinary phone splitters as you want, from a filter
to your phones. You may want to turn off the ringing on some phones as
there is a limit to the number allowable.

There is an extension phone in my bedroom that I never bothered putting
a filter on. I almost never use it but if I do, sometimes the modem
reconnects.

PAM.

> Craig wrote:
>
> > We are ready to leave dial-up behind and get a 2 Mbps DSL connection
> > at home (not Xtra). I wonder if someone could answer for me the
> > following questions regarding the Telecom connection aspects...
> >
> > 1. Telecom will charge a standard $248 to visit our home to install
> > and connect a splitter for the DSL connection. Is this something I
> > could do myself - can I buy the splitter and install it next to the
> > PC? - I have previously added extra phone extensions around the house
> > so I have no difficulty with installing cables and jackpoints. $248
> > does seems alot to pay, or does the technician do more - does he need
> > to climb up the telephone pole, too, to make the connection? I know
> > where the phone wire enters our house - into a junction box on the
> > outside wall. Are there other companies, other than Telecom, who
> > would do it more cheaply? (we are in Auckland).

I had this issue and decided to get the chap out. A technician phoned and he
said all he did was check that there is a connection and plug in my splitter
and leave.
I said no thanks, I'll do it myself.
You can do all this yourself. As for the DSL modem, it was pre-configured
and connected up to the 'net itself once I'd put in all the cables from
phone to splitter to modem to PC and the modem power cable. I didn't have to
do a thing regarding setting up the modem, although I checked the firewalls
after it had connected.
To connect you up he also needs to turn something on at the exchange. No
phone poles.

PAM.

Wombus

Craig wrote:
> 1. Telecom will charge a standard $248 to visit our home to install
> and connect a splitter for the DSL connection.

I think you will find $149 the going rate for connection & home wiring
(so called special)...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Craig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>2. We already have seven phones around the house (as per my
>actions mentioned above!) so if I go down the "self-install" route I
>would need to spend about $70 on filters for the existing phones. Will
>this impact on the DSL speed?

I think the rule is that you're allowed up to put in up to four filters
on separate phone extensions, beyond that you have to have a splitter
installed to avoid the need for filters. Yes, there is bound to be
impact on DSL speed, quality, reliability, that kind of thing.

Mercury

There is a "5" unit RN or RAL limit. On the telepermit label there should be
RN (or RAL) indication. EG RN = 0.5 or RN = 1. They are the numbers - add
them up for the whole house and if over 5, you need to do something. A
modern digital phone such as the panasonic here has RN=0.5 = max 10
extensions Overloading the ringer is hopefully totally unrelated to ADSL,
but who knows?

See: http://www.telepermit.co.nz/About%20PTC.html for full details.

I agree with the others. Get your own ADSL modem, & if you can install a
master filter and do as MattyF said.

For the connection in this house no one from telecom ever came out to the
house and ADSL was up and running 100% before we had the key which was a
real bletch...

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are ready to leave dial-up behind and get a 2 Mbps DSL connection
> at home (not Xtra). I wonder if someone could answer for me the
> following questions regarding the Telecom connection aspects...
>
> 1. Telecom will charge a standard $248 to visit our home to install
> and connect a splitter for the DSL connection. Is this something I
> could do myself - can I buy the splitter and install it next to the
> PC? - I have previously added extra phone extensions around the house
> so I have no difficulty with installing cables and jackpoints. $248
> does seems alot to pay, or does the technician do more - does he need
> to climb up the telephone pole, too, to make the connection? I know
> where the phone wire enters our house - into a junction box on the
> outside wall. Are there other companies, other than Telecom, who
> would do it more cheaply? (we are in Auckland).
>
> 2. We already have seven phones around the house (as per my
> actions mentioned above!) so if I go down the "self-install" route I
> would need to spend about $70 on filters for the existing phones. Will
> this impact on the DSL speed? Does option 1 (above) give a better
> speed? I read that the $248 connection and wiring visit should be
> considered if there are five or more phones in the house, so maybe we
> have too many phones and have to get a splitter installed anyway ??
> Can anyone advise?
>
> Regards, Craig

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <d9tu47$def$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There is a "5" unit RN or RAL limit. On the telepermit label there should be
>RN (or RAL) indication. EG RN = 0.5 or RN = 1. They are the numbers - add
>them up for the whole house and if over 5, you need to do something. A
>modern digital phone such as the panasonic here has RN=0.5 = max 10
>extensions Overloading the ringer is hopefully totally unrelated to ADSL,
>but who knows?

This is separate from the number of ADSL filters you're allowed to have.
Remember that all those filters are in parallel as far as the ADSL
signal frequencies are concerned, so the more of them you have, the more
current drain there is at those frequencies, which would lower the
voltage seen by your ADSL modem, and hence the quality of the signal.

Mercury

Where did I make reference to ADSL filters?
The topic had already been covered by you in case you forgot.

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <d9tu47$def$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>There is a "5" unit RN or RAL limit. On the telepermit label there should
>>be
>>RN (or RAL) indication. EG RN = 0.5 or RN = 1. They are the numbers - add
>>them up for the whole house and if over 5, you need to do something. A
>>modern digital phone such as the panasonic here has RN=0.5 = max 10
>>extensions Overloading the ringer is hopefully totally unrelated to
>>ADSL,
>>but who knows?

> This is separate from the number of ADSL filters you're allowed to have.
> Remember that all those filters are in parallel as far as the ADSL
> signal frequencies are concerned, so the more of them you have, the more
> current drain there is at those frequencies, which would lower the
> voltage seen by your ADSL modem, and hence the quality of the signal.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <da0cnm$hbr$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Where did I make reference to ADSL filters?
>The topic had already been covered by you in case you forgot.

That

>"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <d9tu47$def$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

is

>>>There is a "5" unit RN or RAL limit. On the telepermit label there should
>>>be
>>>RN (or RAL) indication. EG RN = 0.5 or RN = 1. They are the numbers - add

what

>>>them up for the whole house and if over 5, you need to do something. A
>>>modern digital phone such as the panasonic here has RN=0.5 = max 10
>>>extensions Overloading the ringer is hopefully totally unrelated to

this

>>>ADSL,
>>>but who knows?

>> This is separate from the number of ADSL filters you're allowed to have.

topic

>> Remember that all those filters are in parallel as far as the ADSL
>> signal frequencies are concerned, so the more of them you have, the more
>> current drain there is at those frequencies, which would lower the
>> voltage seen by your ADSL modem, and hence the quality of the signal.

is about.

Crash

Craig wrote:
> We are ready to leave dial-up behind and get a 2 Mbps DSL connection
> at home (not Xtra). I wonder if someone could answer for me the
> following questions regarding the Telecom connection aspects...
>
> 1. Telecom will charge a standard $248 to visit our home to install
> and connect a splitter for the DSL connection. Is this something I
> could do myself - can I buy the splitter and install it next to the
> PC? - I have previously added extra phone extensions around the house
> so I have no difficulty with installing cables and jackpoints. $248
> does seems alot to pay, or does the technician do more - does he need
> to climb up the telephone pole, too, to make the connection? I know
> where the phone wire enters our house - into a junction box on the
> outside wall. Are there other companies, other than Telecom, who
> would do it more cheaply? (we are in Auckland).
>
> 2. We already have seven phones around the house (as per my
> actions mentioned above!) so if I go down the "self-install" route I
> would need to spend about $70 on filters for the existing phones. Will
> this impact on the DSL speed? Does option 1 (above) give a better
> speed? I read that the $248 connection and wiring visit should be
> considered if there are five or more phones in the house, so maybe we
> have too many phones and have to get a splitter installed anyway ??
> Can anyone advise?

I presume that Telecom will do for you what they did for me - though in
my case what they did was in the context of isolating ADSL reliability
issues (and this is still a work in progress).

The splitter will be installed on the line as it enters your home -
prior to the first phone jack. The filtered side of the splitter will be
connected to the first jack (and therefore all the others). The
unfiltered side of the splitter will be wired to a new jack where you
plug in your ADSL router.

The advantages of this are:

a) All existing jacks are filtered - no need for filters between phone
and jack.

b) Because your ADSL router is connected as directly to the exchange as
possible, and you have only one filter installed (versus one per phone
device) there is a reduced likelihood of interference between filter and
ADSL service.

The single disadvantage is that there is just one jack that your ADSL
router can be connected to.

In your case, the standard install will allow you to interchangably use
any jack for any purpose but you will have 7 filters in use - 1 for each
phone. The 'splitter install' will require you to use a specific (8th)
jack for your ADSL router and will have a single filter serving all
existing jacks. The difference is the reduced likelihood of ADSL
service problems caused by having 7 versus one filters. There may be
other considerations that I am unaware of.

Crash.