Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Blue screen error - Virus ?

XP Blue screen error - Virus ?

tHe otHer BeaTle

I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however I
have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !

Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?

Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
Zone Alarm firewall
Adaware...nothing detected

Suggestions ?

NZed

Bubba Ray

tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
> I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however I
> have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
>
> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
>
> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
> Zone Alarm firewall
> Adaware...nothing detected
>
> Suggestions ?
>
> NZed

It's Microsoft. It could be anything.

One time when I was *forced* to use XP the damn thing would consistently
crash because it didn't like the modem.

However my bet is that it's a virus. Have you opened any dodgy email
attachments lately?

Dave Taylor

"tHe otHer BeaTle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue
> screen...however I have now noticed that something is switching off my
> zonealarm firewall !
>
> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
>
> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
> Zone Alarm firewall
> Adaware...nothing detected
>
> Suggestions ?
>
> NZed

Pull the HDD, put it into a known clean updated machine and scan it with
your favorite tools, back up all the data while you are at it.
AVG is overrated IMHO. Antivir is free too, but better IMHO. Do you
have SpywareBlaster?

Turn off the auto-reboot option and post some deatail about the crash!
Blue Screens have differences.
What does your event logs say about it?

--
Ciao, Dave

XPD

"tHe otHer BeaTle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however
>I have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
>
> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
>
> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
> Zone Alarm firewall
> Adaware...nothing detected
>
> Suggestions ?
>
> NZed

Blue screens on XP generally indicate hardware fault... altho this could
come about via a corrupt driver as well. Reinstall all your drivers and see
if the issue goes away.

PAM.

"tHe otHer BeaTle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however

> have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
> Zone Alarm firewall
> Adaware...nothing detected
> Suggestions ?

I've had this twice. 1st time it was memory. get a free memtest file and
check your memory. 2nd time and still, it she video card buggered. Currently
fails when playing games.

My current solution is not to play games and use Linux.

PAM.

Tim

tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
> I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue screen...however I
> have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
>
> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
>
> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
> Zone Alarm firewall
> Adaware...nothing detected
>
> Suggestions ?
>
> NZed

Could be a windows update. Am using Win2k and recently had similar
problem after installing updates. Ended up booting into safe mode and
uninstalling windows updates until problem went away.

Tim

NZed

that sounds familiar...as I had done an update to XP 2
bugger !
NZed

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Bhlwe.11039$(E-Mail Removed)...
> tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
> > I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue

screen...however I
> > have now noticed that something is switching off my zonealarm firewall !
> >
> > Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
> >
> > Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
> > Zone Alarm firewall
> > Adaware...nothing detected
> >
> > Suggestions ?
> >
> > NZed
> >

> Could be a windows update. Am using Win2k and recently had similar
> problem after installing updates. Ended up booting into safe mode and
> uninstalling windows updates until problem went away.
>
> Tim

Peter S

"Bubba Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9r7tc$sfj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> tHe otHer BeaTle wrote:
>> I keep on getting consistant crashes recently with a blue
>> screen...however I have now noticed that something is switching off my
>> zonealarm firewall !
>>
>> Do I have a virus or a number of viruses ?
>>
>> Currently running AVG virus checker up todate and no virus detected.
>> Zone Alarm firewall
>> Adaware...nothing detected
>>
>> Suggestions ?
>>
>> NZed
>>

> It's Microsoft. It could be anything.
>
> One time when I was *forced* to use XP the damn thing would consistently
> crash because it didn't like the modem.
>
> However my bet is that it's a virus. Have you opened any dodgy email
> attachments lately?

The something switching off ZoneAlarms firewall is ZoneAlarm itself
unfortunately. They have very poor quality control. See this link :
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main

Henry Falkner

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "tHe otHer BeaTle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Blue screens on XP generally indicate hardware fault... altho this could
> come about via a corrupt driver as well. Reinstall all your drivers and
> see if the issue goes away.

Corrupted Iomega Zip disks have caused blue screens on my Toshiba A10 laptop
with XP. The work-around is to re-format the disk before accessing it.

It is a parallel Iomega box, which needs to be powered up and on-line before
switching on the laptop to become accessible. I don't use it much anymore
because I use CD-Rs, and CD-RWs for temporary stuff now.

Henry

Tim

I am impressed by your scientific methodology, the rapidity with which you
come to conclusions and your willingness to then modify those conclusions
when you receive further evidence.

IE
- Its Microsoft
- It could be anything
- my bet is that its a virus.

Now, which one of those is the OP supposed to use as the basis for solving
their problem? Random Shuffle perhaps? Is that how things are solved in your
world? No wonder you had issues with XP.

Hmmm science at its very best.